News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"You should make a General Lee...."

Started by 68RRFlyer, November 08, 2009, 05:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

Ive had people tell me I should build my '73 into a GL  :scratchchin:

G-man

Quote from: wayfast1500 on November 10, 2009, 06:20:43 PM

Thats the sort of stuff I cant stand. If its not a 1969 it shouldnt be alowed to be a GL. I agree with bull on that 100% :flame:

wayfast1500

Agreed, first time I drove it to work a co-worker literally argued with me all day about doing it.  And that was the first out of many.

TylerCharger69

Bottom line is.....if you want a GL... then build one.  If ya don't...then tell the people who are telling you what you "should" do with it is to go buy their own and they can build one themselves.  I have one...and yes it gets a lot of attention.  And I also get the "where's Daisy?" and have also heard "door handles shouldnt be there"  which that is not true since all GLs had the door handles..."Have ya jumped it yet?" (yeah....right...)  "Does it have a Hemi?...all GLs had Hemis!!!".....which is also BS.....I just had some stupid redneck the other day tell me..."That show hasn't been on T.V. for years......why ya drive it now??"  I simply responded as i pumped my gas..."So dumbass drunken rednecks like you would ask ever so stupid questions and give ever so stupid responses on a topic you obviously know nothing about!"  (true story)  But my all time favorite response is..."I used to have one just like it!""   Usually that statement comes from a homeless, unkempt idiot who rides an old rusty bicycle and collects aluminum cans out of dumpsters....and then has the nerve to ask me if I have any "spare change" in which I say  "Nope!!  If you had one just like it...you would realize that after putting in gas....there is no spare change left!!!   

Personally...I think that if someone wants to recreate a movie or a t.v. car....we could use a few more DMCL chargers if one is really gung-ho about having a famous replica car.   There are plenty of GLs right now.  But  like I said.....it's YOUR car.....build it how you want to!!!  You have my blessings!!!    Ace

Grim Jhaixus

Quote from: G-man on November 10, 2009, 09:58:35 PM

Thats the sort of stuff I cant stand. If its not a 1969 it shouldnt be alowed to be a GL. I agree with bull on that 100% :flame:
'73 GL? Like this?

I say no only cuz every 68 or 69 I've ever seen in person was a GL. Keep in mind I'm 22.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

RamchargerMopar

Cooter that was a touching story. I am a huge Dukes fan but what tickles me is the nice shot you got in your avatar. I Love Christine, she was my first love  :2thumbs:
Mopar or No Car!

Cooter

Bottom line is this......If your NOT ready to come back with ALOT of witty responses to idiotic people cracking wisecracks about your GL, Christine, DMCL, Delorean, or any other TV/Movie car, then you prolly are better off NOT building one cause you WILL hear them...People are jealous of your car whether or not they admit it or not when you are out in it and they will try ANYTHING to shift the attention from you and your car to themsleves to make it seem like owning one will be a nightmare...When in reallity, they only fuel the attention and desire to own one in the end....

I've had Hemi car owners, D-500 owners, Superbird/Daytona clone owners get all kindsa fired up because when the TV/movie car rolls in, they know it WILL shift the attention From their "One of 14" cars to Yet another, Big Orange B-Body with a Confederate flag on the roof....

I even get some winners with Christine..
1. "If I kick this fender in, will it repair itself?"
2. "All that remote start sh*t is cool, but I wanna know will it drive itself to the store for me and get me a pack of cig's?"
3. "Does it talk, cause the "REAL" Christine talked in the movie" (Bullsh*t, as it did NOT Talk)
4. "Why is it red and white, the "Real" Christine was Black" (Bullsh*t, cause if you'd watched the movie, she was red and white)
5. "Hey! Nice Cadillac!"
6. "Wasn't "Christine a Desoto, cause my uncle owned one and it was just like Christine" (Bullsh*t, cause in the movie gas staton scene, you can CLEARLY read P L Y M O U T H)

And so on and so on....

I have only one picture of the GL when I got and BELIEVE ME it WAS a "basket Case"...While I'll Admit, I do NOT condone taking a RARE car and doing a GL, I do believe in a plain jane '70 Charger being done up if that's what you wish...Warner Brothers Not only did up 68's, they did 69's,70's anything they could get their hands on...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

dkn1997

Quote from: bull on November 08, 2009, 11:09:07 AM
Yes, you should do it because there definitely aren't enough of them.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

:insertsarcasm:       where's that sarcasm detector I ordered? 
RECHRGED

DodgeChargerNeeded

Don't build a general lee for profit. Only build it if you absolutely have to have one. Right now I have the perfect opportunity. I have my car in the body shop stripped down to bare metal and it is now a former General Lee Clone. I will be repainting it a different color. I love the Dukes of Hazzard and always will but to me that show has run its course and its time to move on.
Jeff

MoparManJim

Askly, there isn't enough of them yet, Dukes only had 200 to 300 depending on who you ask abouty the numbers from. There is only like 600 replicas out there probably and look at how many chargers Dodge made back in the day. They are to many chargers out there. So making afew General's wouldn't even hurt the number line at all. What we need is more General's and more Dirty Marry Crazy Larry clones. 

Quote from: dkn1997 on December 24, 2009, 10:46:13 PM

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

:insertsarcasm:       where's that sarcasm detector I ordered? 

dkn1997

I'll be the first to admit that DOH is what got me into chargers in the first place...and it's not like I see one and don't like it..I still think they look cool..and mean...  But if you really wanted one, you could find one.  There a lot out there.  If I was putting a car together at this moment, i'd be more into something that I hadn't seen before, or putting together a combo out of several cars.  Take wheels you like from a car you saw in a mag, put them on a car with a different color combo that you saw on another feature car. 

RECHRGED

JT01

Here my thought just have one of each. Im 37 and like so many others the Dukes is what got me into Chargers. The General Lee is one of my dream cars once I started on mine I allready wanted another one to do. Once I get my General done Im going to look for another 69 to do but have more of a stock look to it.

NorwayCharger

He he...Good one.
Do what YOU want to do with the car, than it is worth more to YOU  :Twocents:
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Akron_Charger

Yup, get that with my 74 too...

MoparManJim

Quote from: Akron_Charger on December 25, 2009, 09:11:54 PM

Yup, get that with my 74 too...

That would be because the South Peak games of the Dukes that was made terrible.

Charger440RDN

Does anyone have pictures of a 3rd gen charger turned into a General?

Ghoste

Check page 3, reply #54 in this thread.  :icon_smile_wink:

elacruze

Got two in two days on the Power Tour.

"When does it get the Battle Flag" (this was in Alabama, he knew his flag)
"Are you at least going to get the Dixie horn?" Also in Alabama)
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

SFRT

every time someones builds aLee God kills 10,000 adorable puppies.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

stripedelete

Quote from: SFRT on June 08, 2011, 01:43:42 PM
every time someones builds aLee God kills 10,000 adorable puppies.

Now that was a 10.

chargermike

please no more stupid looking general lee cars. there are enough. keep it blue .

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Back N Black on November 09, 2009, 09:19:38 PM
GL's do draw a certain crowd.!

Muscle cars / pony cars in general draw the same "certain crowd". I think the car most associated with "rednecks" is the Camaro, to the point that a "mullet" is often called a "Camaro cut". Mustangs, Chevelles, GTOs, and Novas; as well as most anything that either has a GM 350 engine or can have one "dropped into it" (e.g. Malibus, El Caminos, Monte Carlos, even S-10 pickups); also rate highly with "rednecks".

The General Lee however, not only draws the "redneck" crowd, but nearly everyone else as well; because it is the most famous car in the world.

G-man

Build a General. Considering there were 90 000+ 68 and around the same amount of 69s sold... the 1000 or so GL you may find is still 89 000 less than every other colour... so it is true that there is hardly any GLs around.

Want a quick statistic?

Howmany dodgecharger.com board members are there... howmany of them own Chargers, and howmany of those are GLs, u will always  find the GL is the minority. So yeah, its the rarer car.

Brock Lee

This site is a very small segment of the Charger owning population. Of the 7 2nd generation Chargers that I know of in my immediate area (about 20 mile range), 4 are General Lee's, 3 of them on the same street!

GL#10

Yes

Build a General Lee, there are just to many stock chargers around , not enough GL's  .

K.c