News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"You should make a General Lee...."

Started by 68RRFlyer, November 08, 2009, 05:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Quote from: Cooter on November 08, 2009, 04:40:30 PM
For "us" GL owners, I look at it as a priviledge to own a replica of THE most famous Star car Ever conceived...The reason it attracts as much attention as it does. Just like these Movie stars and TV stars I hear bitching about how they have NO private life anymore....Well, all your life you Dreamed of being famous, what did you think it was gonna be like???

Oh, I know.. I honestly had NO idea what to expect...  :cheers:

skip68

The kids make it worth it.  I've given kids rides and let them sit out the window for pictures.   :2thumbs:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on November 08, 2009, 04:32:02 PM
Coming form a GL owner, I have read all the replies and agree with most of them...I DID have a friend that BEGGED me NOT to paint it orange, but I decided it was time for me to own MY own General Lee....

Well, fast foward about 7 years....Yes, the little kids can be annoying, people DO think it's "fair game",. and you do get alot of attention....

You wanna know what keeps me going? I was at a cruise one night the last one there, and this mini van pulled up with htis little boy in the back.
About 8 people got out and They introduced themselves as the grandparents, parents, and the kid. All day I had been dealing with them and was NOT in the mood for MORE finger prints, but he just walked up and stood behind his mother's leg kinda shy like I was when his age.
I suddenly heard the father say "Alright, here we are. You gonna look at it?"
The little boy just stood behind his mother's leg, holding on tightly..

Mom tells me "You know we are NOT gonna get him to sleep tonight don't ya'?"
I just smiled and ask'd the little boy if he liked the General Lee. He just kept holding onto that leg...When his mother ask'd him, he kinda knodded and she ask'd me if I would show it to him..I said "Sure"...

I made one more attempt at talking with the little boy and he wouldn't budge scared to death I guess....I finally established a repore with him enough to start to tell me he liked the GL. The thing is, this little boy had RESPECT for others property and didn't EXPECT to be put in the car and THAT'S why I told the parents I'm Pretty cool with the car as long as a level of respect is maintained.

I ask'd him if he would like ot sit in the GL...You should have seen that little boys eyes..He never moved out of the spot I sat him in and all he did was play like he was steering the car...I let him blow the horn and the smile that was on his face couldn't be removed with plastic surgery.....

I finally took some pics for his buddies at school with him in the car and the parents couldn't believe I stuck him through the window and thanked me for sharing MY General Lee and for being so "Cool" with it ...

I never got that kinda chance when I was that age, even though I woulda killed for it. The CLOSEST I ever got was a parade....That little boy will hopefully remember that for the rest of his life..How, some hillbilly let him sit in his General Lee.....

:cryin: Bring a tear to a glass eye.

Brock Samson

69bronzeT5

I don't know how many times I've heard those EXACT words. I also remember hearing someone say to me "You should pimp it out to look like the General Lee". :slap:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

skip68

I love my JENNY LEE,   but I can't wait until it's yellow and white.   :2thumbs: :drool5:    That's the color combo I'm doing when I grow up.    :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bull

Sarcasm? Me? ;)

If you build a GL it should be a law that you have to build one from a basket case, not from a normal 69. Oh yea, and the first amendment to that law should require than it be done to a 69, not a converted 68 or 70. And the second amendment to the law should require that no other year Charger shall be painted like the General Lee but that anything else can be such as tricycles, snowmobiles, wheelbarrows and lawnmowers. When I become president this will become law. And I will also do away with the college football ranking system. And I will make Superbowl Sunday a national paid holiday and all work weeks will be three days long.

Ghoste

Dans 68

Quote from: CB on November 08, 2009, 01:21:41 PM
but you'll have girls flashing at you, don't they, Chuck :yesnod:

TMI, CB. I thought what happens in Vegas.... :P  :rofl:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Charger440RDN

Quote from: bull on November 08, 2009, 09:02:33 PM
Sarcasm? Me? ;)

If you build a GL it should be a law that you have to build one from a basket case, not from a normal 69. Oh yea, and the first amendment to that law should require than it be done to a 69, not a converted 68 or 70. And the second amendment to the law should require that no other year Charger shall be painted like the General Lee but that anything else can be such as tricycles, snowmobiles, wheelbarrows and lawnmowers. When I become president this will become law. And I will also do away with the college football ranking system. And I will make Superbowl Sunday a national paid holiday and all work weeks will be three days long.

Where can I make campaign contributions?   :smilielol: :cheers:

bull

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 08, 2009, 09:20:25 PM
Sarcasm? Me? ;)

Where can I make campaign contributions?   :smilielol: :cheers:

I'll give you my paypal address. The funds will go directly into my Charger... I mean campaign fund.

Mike DC

#1 - If you're on the fence about the GL idea, then probably don't do it.  The celebrity is fun in small doses, but a lot less fun when you can't cruise the car without dealing with the full brunt of it 100% of the time.

#2 - Listen to General01 & Skip68's comments about people thinking the car is public property.  I cannot overstate the truth of this.  

People basically react to it the same way they would treat a studio prop car on display for polaroids at a theme park:  They feel free to do anything that doesn't get them immediately collared by a nearby official.  (And they still feel free to do even those things when nobody is looking.)

So you'd better be prepared to either be that official at all times when the car is in public, or else you need to resign yourself to letting the car get the same kinds of nicks & scrapes that a theme park display car inevitably has. 

bull

Well yea, it's the General Lee. If jumping a canyon won't hurt it what damage can my three-year-old do with a stick?

General_01

I remember telling people "Warner Brothers won't pay to fix this car" when they would ask me if I was going to jump it. Usually got a chuckle out of them.  :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

69bronzeT5

Quote from: skip68 on November 08, 2009, 05:15:52 PM
The kids make it worth it.  I've given kids rides and let them sit out the window for pictures.   :2thumbs:   

I have a picture around here I need to dig up. It was taken around 2000 or so. It's of me sitting in a General Lee at a show. Also have another of me sitting on the top of the door too. I remember asking Graham (the owner) tons of questions about it. He gave me a set of "General Lee" roof decals too because I wanted to make my car a General Lee back then. It was really cool of him :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

kikgas01

Look at the one in my sig. It was a 68 Converted just like W/B did theirs. Had many little kinds and parents in it. Got tired of babysitting it, got tired of getting beat at shows by a VW THING!, got tired of the "where is Daisy?', got tired of hearing, this shouldn`t have door handles on the outside, I`m a expert and they shouldn`t be there, HIT THE HORN!,Ain`t you in the wrong part of the world to own that car?(I live in Iowa). Had a lot of fun with it too. Once a little boy was sitting in it and used the dash pad to pull himself up. Everyone knows what a 68 dash pad looks like. Now imagine what it looked like AFTER the little boy pulled himself up by it? Yep, sold mine last November. To many idiots,not enough respect. Glad it looked the part. It wasn`t a show car but a well used General so scratches didn`t bother me a lot.

Cooter

Just a side note here, you know what was the best part of painting MY General Lee?

Remember the friend that told me NOT to? Well, I restored his '69, R/T, B-5 Blue with white tail stripe Charger and the first show it went to, He lost to The General Lee....Everybody cept the purists were talking to me about the GL and he wasn't too happy.....The funniest comment I heard while cruising with him was...."Hey, Nice car, Why isn't the Blue one a General Lee?" :smilielol:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Back N Black

GL's do draw a certain crowd.!

jb666

Quote from: Back N Black on November 09, 2009, 09:19:38 PM
GL's do draw a certain crowd.!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: As much as I want to say HEY, I RESEMBLE THAT! , I can do nothing but laugh. The last 2 car shows I went to , I said to my wife "Is every Redneck in New England here to see this car today??". I think I counted 14 mullets, 3 teeth and four bearded women in one show... And those were just the good looking ones..

Charger440RDN

69DodgeCharger

The General Grant....You know. The General that won the Civil War. B-7 Blue with crossed yellow cavalry swords on the roof. I wanted to do that back in '88 with my first 69 Charger.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Landonsrt

Sarcasm? Me? ;)

I think that means mine qualifies...... All these stories are making me think.. Then I'll have to get another one to build completely different.

aussiemuscle

Sarcasm? Me? ;)

You going to make orange paint illegal too?  :pity:

G-man

Depends what you want to do with it.

Down in australia... a General lee is cool because... theres near none of them.

I like general lees myself but at the same time I wanted to do my 'own' things to the car (big wheels etc) that means a GL would not be doible and be correct (looks wise).

I also didnt want to have a 'movie' type car but my 'own' car. So GL as much as I respect it and love it... just isnt for me due to the reasons above.

:cheers: