News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"You should make a General Lee...."

Started by 68RRFlyer, November 08, 2009, 05:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

For some reason, that's been said to me more often this past week while I've been driving my 69 around.  Not sure why that is.  Matter of fact, I had two local businesses tell me if I had one they'd rent it from me for display to bring in more business to their shops.  So the wheels start turning, but I'm not sure I can do it.  Nothing against anyone who owns one, but I'm not sure I want that much attention when driving the car around from, let's say, wanna be Luke Dukes sliding across my hood at carshows.  Granted, driving any Charger around is eye appealing for sure.   Everyone who sees the car loves the lines and I want a nice R/T clone to cruise around in, but this type of opportunity to "rent a car" has me thinking a bit from my business standpoint.  I'm 36 and grew up with the Dukes of Hazzard, built the model cars, and we even had a go-cart that had the flag and 01 on the side of it, so the thought had crossed my mind once or twice.  But my car being Blue inside and out, it'd be a serious money drop for an entire new interior color change.  Not to mention trying to find the wheels.  So those that own one, what made you make one or buy one?  How do you like driving it around town and most importantly, ever have any issues with wanna-be Duke Boys???

Cheers  :cheers:       
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

mikepmcs

The reason it's been said to you is because when the majority of the population sees a 2nd gen charger, the dukes of hazzard is normally what comes to mind. (disclaimer-with the exception of a bunch of our members here, which most will agree we are a minority of the population)
So, my only answer to you on this is......If you are considering turning your car in to a GL replica just because 2 people said they would pay you to display it for them, the you need to leave your car as is.  No guarantee that they will come coco with the money once you have sunk all that cash in to the car.

You create a GL because you want one and it has been a desire of yours since whenever not because somebody else wants you to.  :Twocents:

Sounds to me like you need to leave your car as is....and my partial reason for saying this is, you most likely will not make the huge dollar renting your car out and you really don't seem to want a GL.  I think you'll regret doing it from what you have said in your post.  :Twocents: again.

I've never had anyone try to slide across my hood. Kids like to touch the car but that is because I allow them to and to get inside and take pictures or whatever. It's just a fun car to be around period.
I have my GL because it's what I wanted not because of anyone else's decision. If you start doing things because of other people then you're not true to yourself. So... I ask you, do you want a General Lee, yes or no?
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:

NO!

:RantExplode:

BB1

Holy sheite :smilielol:

Whatever makes you happy.  :Twocents:
Delete my profile

bull

Yes, you should do it because there definitely aren't enough of them.

Ghoste

It's actually the one thing that I don't miss about the 2nd gens I've had.  (but I don't hate it enough to keep from getting another one  :icon_smile_big:)

greenpigs

I would hope you or anyone else with a 69 Charger would build it the way they want. I am doing my Charger in the color I would have picked back then,course I wasn't born till 1972. Also am going with knock off draglites as that's what I want...and what is important.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

General_01

Just remember one thing: For some reason, everyone at car shows thinks the GL belongs to everyone. You will see people walk gingerly around every car at a show, but if they come across a GL, they are leaning on the car, sticking there head inside the window with the belt buckle on the door, elbows and arms on the fenders while they look at the engine, etc. Like Mike said, don't do it unless YOU really want one. It is an attention getter. People will chase you down and follow you home just to get a picture.  You probably won't want to leave it alone at car shows, so it puts a cramp on looking around at other cars while your there. I had mine for 7 years before I sold it. It was fun, but there were several stressful moments at car shows and such that would not have happened had it not been a GL replica.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

skip68

Dean (General_01) and Mike hit it on the head.   :yesnod:   I would have little comfort in leaving my car on display.   :rotz:   Everybody will touch it and if I'm not there things can happen.  The only reason to build one is for you to enjoy and or the kids.   If you do build one, DO NOT spend a ton on the paint.   :rotz:    It only takes a few rednecks with belt buckles or jackets with zippers for you to know why.   :rofl:     Good luck.    :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

b5blue

NO   :slap: (they are not going to give you 40,000 to rent it)

CB

but you'll have girls flashing at you, don't they, Chuck :yesnod:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

skip68

Yes, I remember that very well.   :drool5:   I've had a few offers other than money for rides.    :drool5:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:

Well,..  in that case I'm making mine a Jenny Lee!  :yesnod:

Nacho-RT74

I would think just if I have a matching tan interior and car is not something specially valuable ( R/T or some specialy 4speeds, some very good conditions SE ).

but having blue interior... not ( and I dream having a GL someday )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

68RRFlyer

Yes I'm building the car how I'd like it, not for "resale" or anything like that.  I just threw it out for discussion to get some input, that's all.  It helps to hear other's opinions to brainstorm on.  I don't think I'd do it, but it would probably be fun owning one and a headache all at the same time, I'm sure. :scratchchin:

Cheers  :cheers:   
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

R2

I hear the same thing,,,,,, but that is usually after they figure out "hey,,,,that isnt a camaro is it",,,,,,,no,,,it's a Charger,,,,"oh,,,well maybe you should paint it orange and put a eleven on it"  you mean a 01 ?,,,, "ah yeah,,,what ? " ( they cant even get the 01 correct )... lol

b5blue

I have a blue 70 and I still hear it....I tell them it's a "Gen. GRANT!" (and he kicked LEE's Ass!)  :smilielol:

TexasStroker

As said, do the car however you want it done. 

I agree with the comments of others.  I routinely get the "where's the flag and 01?" quiz, which gets old fast.  It is almost like ple forget Hemi Orange was a factory color for the car, and they just think you are trying to source the decals or save money to have them hand painted. 
I also have ple all over the car, particulalry young children, who for whatever reason are not restrained or instructed by their parents.  It is nice people enjoy seeing the car, but I was raised to never touch anyones car/stuff.  I can't tell you how many times I've come back to find fingerprints all over the door, or see a kid trying to pull himself up the door to see in the window (while the parent walks up from behind) and find everything from drink spills from parents to tread marks from shoes  :rotz:

Any 69 Charger is going to get a lot of attention regardless of if you are cruising in full General Lee trim, a concourse resto, pro-touring, or even half primer, half rust.  There is really no way to get around it.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: bull on November 08, 2009, 11:09:07 AM
you sure bull there arent plenty around   :o              rob

General_01

Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on November 08, 2009, 03:04:18 PM

Obviously you don't read enough of bull's posts to understand his sarcasm. :cheers:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

jb666

Quote from: General_01 on November 08, 2009, 03:44:20 PM

Obviously you don't read enough of bull's posts to understand his sarcasm. :cheers:

:lol: But Bull's right.. And they tend to stand out, for obvious reasons..

Me, personally? I can't stand it when people ask me to hit the horn. I think it's obnoxious and screams "Hey, look my way, I'm a circus freak!". So I usually ignore that..

When driving around town in my GL, I often compare it to what it'd be like to tow a parade float with Britney Spears dancing naked on the back. Sneaking around, or going for a "mild cruise" is NOT an option with a GL.. Everyone feels the need to yell out the window, scream from the sidewalk and yell HIT THE HORN!! Just today I was sitting at a set of lights (wife in the car) and some chick started screaming "OH MY GOD THE GENERAL LEE!" from a 3rd floor window.  :brickwall: Gee, what gave me away?  :brickwall:

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: General_01 on November 08, 2009, 03:44:20 PM

i know bull's like that.  lol

Cooter

Coming form a GL owner, I have read all the replies and agree with most of them...I DID have a friend that BEGGED me NOT to paint it orange, but I decided it was time for me to own MY own General Lee....

Well, fast foward about 7 years....Yes, the little kids can be annoying, people DO think it's "fair game",. and you do get alot of attention....

You wanna know what keeps me going? I was at a cruise one night the last one there, and this mini van pulled up with htis little boy in the back.
About 8 people got out and They introduced themselves as the grandparents, parents, and the kid. All day I had been dealing with them and was NOT in the mood for MORE finger prints, but he just walked up and stood behind his mother's leg kinda shy like I was when his age.
I suddenly heard the father say "Alright, here we are. You gonna look at it?"
The little boy just stood behind his mother's leg, holding on tightly..

Mom tells me "You know we are NOT gonna get him to sleep tonight don't ya'?"
I just smiled and ask'd the little boy if he liked the General Lee. He just kept holding onto that leg...When his mother ask'd him, he kinda knodded and she ask'd me if I would show it to him..I said "Sure"...

I made one more attempt at talking with the little boy and he wouldn't budge scared to death I guess....I finally established a repore with him enough to start to tell me he liked the GL. The thing is, this little boy had RESPECT for others property and didn't EXPECT to be put in the car and THAT'S why I told the parents I'm Pretty cool with the car as long as a level of respect is maintained.

I ask'd him if he would like ot sit in the GL...You should have seen that little boys eyes..He never moved out of the spot I sat him in and all he did was play like he was steering the car...I let him blow the horn and the smile that was on his face couldn't be removed with plastic surgery.....

I finally took some pics for his buddies at school with him in the car and the parents couldn't believe I stuck him through the window and thanked me for sharing MY General Lee and for being so "Cool" with it ...

I never got that kinda chance when I was that age, even though I woulda killed for it. The CLOSEST I ever got was a parade....That little boy will hopefully remember that for the rest of his life..How, some hillbilly let him sit in his General Lee.....

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

jb666

Quote from: Cooter on November 08, 2009, 04:32:02 PM
Coming form a GL owner, I have read all the replies and agree with most of them...I DID have a friend that BEGGED me NOT to paint it orange, but I decided it was time for me to own MY own General Lee....

Well, fast foward about 7 years....Yes, the little kids can be annoying, people DO think it's "fair game",. and you do get alot of attention....

You wanna know what keeps me going? I was at a crusie one night the last one there, and this mini vam pulled up with htis little boy in the back.
About 8 people got out and They introduced themselves as the grandparents, parents, and the kid. All day i had been dealing with them and was NOT in the mood for MORE finger prints, but he just walked up and stood behind his mother's leg kinda shy like I was when his age.
I suddenly heard the father say "Alright, here we are. You gonna look at it?"
The little boy just stood behind his mother's leg, holding on tightly..

Mom tells me "You know we are NOT gonna get him to sleep tongiht don't ya'?"
I just smiled and ask'd the little boy if he liked the General Lee. He just kept holding onto that leg...When his mother ask'd him, he kinda knodded and she ask'd me if I would show it to him..I said "Sure"...

I made one more attempt at talking with the little boy and he wouldn't budge scared to death I guess....I finally established a repore with him enough to start to tell me he liked the GL. The thing is, this littrle boy had RESPECT for others property and didn't EXPECT to be put in the car and THAT'S why I told the parents I'm Pretty cool with the car as long as a level of respect is maintained.

I ask'd him if he would like ot sit in the GL...You should have seen that little boys eyes..He never moved out of the spot I sat him in and all he did was play like he was steering the car...I let him blow the horn and the smile that was on his face couldn't be removed with plastic surgery.....

I finally took some pics for his buddies at school with him in the car and the parents couldn't believe I stuck him through the window and thanked me for sharing MY General Lee and for being so "Cool" with it ...

I never got that kinda chance when I was that age, even though I woulda killed for it. The CLOSEST I ever got was a parade....That little boy will hopefully remember that for the rest of his life..How, some hillbilly let him sit in his General Lee.....

That's a GREAT story!!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Thanks for sharing that.

Cooter

For "us" GL owners, I look at it as a priviledge to own a replica of THE most famous Star car Ever conceived...The reason it attracts as much attention as it does. Just like these Movie stars and TV stars I hear bitching about how they have NO private life anymore....Well, all your life you Dreamed of being famous, what did you think it was gonna be like???
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"