News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flood of unfinished project Chargers on Ebay lately

Started by Charger440RDN, November 06, 2009, 04:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Quote from: bull on November 07, 2009, 11:16:07 AM
I don't know what to say about unfinished project cars on Ebay but I've gotta say it's not too encouraging to read this thread with my car torn completely apart right now.

No worries bull, My car was totally apart last winter and today i was out smoking the tires off her. :2thumbs:

375instroke

I'm working on airplanes, and when I'm putting something together that someone else took apart, there are always parts missing.  Such a pain in the ass, and I have access to all the engineering drawings and fasteners.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2009, 02:43:16 PM
And the fact is, there are some people who enjoy the "project" more than the other parts of the hobby.  I know a guy who sells his musclecars almost as soon as he finishes them.  He will drive them for a month or sometimes two but as soon as he is done one, he is definitely looking for the next one.  There are some out there who genuinely enjoy the challenge of putting that mess back together.
Now personally I like the driving best and I'd also add that in 90% of cases people are best advised to get the most car they can possibly afford just so as to prevent their own project burnout.  But I did want to point out that there are a few who welcome a project car.

Like me, I'm using my projects to stay away from the bars and other really waste of money activities. I liked driving my cars in the past but now
I switched into projects and I also can garantee that my family is much moore happier now me spending all that time in the garage instead of never
beeing home.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Charger440RDN

I think a lot of people got fooled by these TV shows like Overhaulin and think they can tear the car apart and have it done in no time. They don't realize that these people are professionals and do this for a living, not to mention that there are several people working on those cars at the same time.

I just believe that IF YOU DON'T PLAN TO FINISH THE CAR, DON'T RIP IT APART!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :brickwall: It just makes it harder for a future buyer to restore.

roger440

Whilst i agree with most that half done projects are a bad idea, it does depend on what you want at the end of it. Buying a running car for $20-25K is great if you will be happy with it. However if you want it just right, then all it is is a more expensive starting point for a project!!

I get a lot of satisfaction from restoring and repairing old stuff, whatever it is, so the time isn't the issue. I want to do this.

1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

1ol72charger4me

Wow, this thread should be required reading for any prospective car restorers! There is alot of real truth about this hobbie being shared here. I've done restorations for the last 15 years and have had more than my share of" projects in a box" to do. At one time I thought of listing my job as a professional project finisher!! I think the most important thing that was said here is about there being no replacement for the time you lose with family. IMO the most important thing to remember when buying a torn apart car is that the little missing  parts can cost big money. I always tell people I don't care what shape the fender is in but where are the bolts for the seatbelts, shims for the heater box  ,bracket for this , support for the whatever. It takes alot of little pieces to put a car completely together. Right now on ebay you can get finished cars for about half of what you can do one for. I think its going to be even more of a buyers market as time goes by for about the next year. I personally like the challenge of the build and when I score a much needed part it makes me feel like I scored a touchdown! Now when I can't put in the seats because somebody lost the seatbelt bolts, thats a whole nuther feeling entire.....

Skinypete

I understand that projects cost a whole lot more than buying a finished one. I started my project because I didn't have the money to buy a finished one. I can spend a couple hundred here and there.

Now that I have started my project though and have added up how much money I already spent on it...I realized that if i was more patient and could have waited another year, I could have picked up a nice driver.  Live and learn tho

On the thing about missing time with the family, I feel that I am blessed here because I live at home and my Dad takes great interest in Mopars! This makes it possible for me to spend more time with him!

This is all just my  :Twocents:  tho and I wouldn't change what I did, I can't replace these memories.
DJMIII

The70RT

A lot of people set around after they get off of work anyway and don't do much so why not build a car? I think it is all about how car crazy you are. I think some people have had there cars for a long time and buying one done or better doesn't make sense to them. Sometimes sentimental comes in to play. You never know completely what you bought till you tear it down. I think it is great to go to a show and show your car....not something someone else did. Some of you may be leaning towards the " Cat's in the cradle theory " ...been there done that....not any more though. All my kids have their own lives so the family thing no longer exists. I think 1/2 the projects people dismantle think it's gonna be a lot simpler to restore. Go back and check the old threads. Some came on here with a full head of steam and now their gone...go figure. I actually think if you don't have a family you are more likely NOT to get a project done. Mainly because one income and no family urging or helping them along the way. When your single sometimes other things take precedence over a hunk of cold steel  :icon_smile_big:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Blown70

Quote from: The70RT on November 08, 2009, 11:23:04 PM
When your single sometimes other things take precedence over a hunk of cold steel  :icon_smile_big:

Hahahahahaha   :cheers:

SG1022

Quote from: The70RT on November 08, 2009, 11:23:04 PM
When your single sometimes other things take precedence over a hunk of cold steel  :icon_smile_big:

But the fun part is fixing that cold hunk of steel, and using to to get a hot hunk of _______

motorcitydak

There are obviously a few types of guys replying to this. There are the guys that just want a project that they can work on for a few years and in the end get to see the awesome fruits of your labor. The others do not see it that way and would rather buy what we produce. As I said, I bought mine for $3000 and will prob have around 15k into it when its done but that is only because I am the only one working on the car. For that money tho I will have a car that is 100% mine and built exactly how I want it. Whats better is that if anything goes wrong on the car I will know exactly how to fix it since I built it.

While you can just buy a completed car and have it be yours, I will be building one from the ground up literally and it will be MINE in every aspect of the word. I just have more pride with I built it. I bought my truck stock. 6 years later it is more than I ever could have imagined. I bought an old boat and desperately needed a ton of TLC, which I provided and sold it to buy my '68 Charger.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

69bronzeT5

I'm one of those guys who dosen't like to buy a finished car. Of course I can't afford to buy a finished one anyways but I enjoy building a car the way I want it. That's what I'm doing with my cars. For example, who cares how much it'll cost to restore the Charger to where I want it, it'll be done the way I want it....not the way someone else did it. :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger440RDN

Anyone here ever restored one from the ground up that was just a shell and didn't come with any parts? Not even a K-frame or rear axle?

Troy

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 10, 2009, 02:21:51 PM
Anyone here ever restored one from the ground up that was just a shell and didn't come with any parts? Not even a K-frame or rear axle?
I've seen people restore cars that only had a k-frame and rear axle. Does that count? ;) Here in the midwest the sheet metal rusts away and all you're left with is a drivetrain.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

wayfast1500

I got mine as kind of a basket case, the previous owner started to do the body work and man what a haggred job they did.  I cut their pop rivited patches off the fender to find little chunks of steel, foam, news paper, and insulation right inside the fenders.  I cant complain, I basically got the car free-traded a harley for a harley and the p.o told me if I bring a trailer I can take the charger too. 

Charger440RDN

Quote from: wayfast1500 on November 10, 2009, 06:05:54 PM
I got mine as kind of a basket case, the previous owner started to do the body work and man what a haggred job they did.  I cut their pop rivited patches off the fender to find little chunks of steel, foam, news paper, and insulation right inside the fenders.  I cant complain, I basically got the car free-traded a harley for a harley and the p.o told me if I bring a trailer I can take the charger too. 

That is a good deal, it's hard to beat getting a free Charger as a starting point :lol:

wayfast1500

Not only was it free but I put about $100 into it and got it to a points I could drive on short trips (1-2 miles) before I stripped it in order to see how the suspension and what not would need.  It wouldn't pass inspection, but $100 to drive a muscle car for a few weeks AND not break down once is something that's hard to beat.

Charger440RDN

Quote from: wayfast1500 on November 10, 2009, 10:52:55 PM
Not only was it free but I put about $100 into it and got it to a points I could drive on short trips (1-2 miles) before I stripped it in order to see how the suspension and what not would need.  It wouldn't pass inspection, but $100 to drive a muscle car for a few weeks AND not break down once is something that's hard to beat.

Any pictures? I like to see Chargers in any condition :icon_smile_big:  :popcrn:

375instroke

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 08, 2009, 10:57:35 AM
I think a lot of people got fooled by these TV shows like Overhaulin and think they can tear the car apart and have it done in no time.
Looks like they have something like 20 people working on various parts of those cars.  They have what--10 days, around the clock?  That's 4800 man hours, or one man full time for over 2 years straight.

Troy

Quote from: 375instroke on November 11, 2009, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 08, 2009, 10:57:35 AM
I think a lot of people got fooled by these TV shows like Overhaulin and think they can tear the car apart and have it done in no time.
Looks like they have something like 20 people working on various parts of those cars.  They have what--10 days, around the clock?  That's 4800 man hours, or one man full time for over 2 years straight.
I believe there's more than 20 - maybe as many as 50 (can't remember if they count the entire "crew" as well). I have issues trusting the quality of the finished product though as certain process require time to cure or settle. Perhaps you can bake paint, sealers, primers, and glue to speed up the process but I know things like headliners, vinyl tops, and seat covers may require adjustments fairly soon. I believe most of those cars go back to the shops shortly after the shows are over to correct all the stuff that got missed or messed up. It's still a huge amount of man hours but some of that could be avoided with planning (waiting for one entire process to finish before moving to the next step) and an extended time frame (people tripping over each other).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

aussiemuscle

as you drove off he was probably thinking "sucker"  :hah:

68RT4ME

Well, I'm one of those who over paid for a project now nearly 2 yrs old and though progress has been made, it seems like it will never end. I also have a car that was bought turn key but that too underwent many changes to get it where it is today. I will be keeping at it even though my part of the project will mostly involve reassembly but, I don't think I will ever undertake something like this again.

It is always more expensive than one thinks it will be and your hard pressed to get what you have in it if you ever want to sell. The satisfaction comes from knowing you did the car your way and know exactly whats there and every nut and bolt. I only wish I had the ability to do most of it myself and be able to save a ton more money. That and not be at the mercy of others to do it right without getting ripped off in the process.  :Twocents:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

wayfast1500

Quote from: aussiemuscle on November 12, 2009, 09:37:45 PM
as you drove off he was probably thinking "sucker"  :hah:

Haha I always wanted a charger so I didn't care the condition, although it's really not too bad.  He said if I didn't want the charger I could take a new .45.  I almost did after all the problems I was having getting out.  I picked it up in the middle of winter, his driveway was literally like a skislope into the woods.  No room to turn around at the top and the uhaul trailer brakes only work going foward.  I got dragged by the trailer backing down into a ditch and had to get pulled out by 2 full size trucks chained together.  At that point I thought about leaving the car and taking the pistol, but I ended up backing the trailer into a snowbank so I could jackknife it around.  I got out and left him and his buddy with a 30 rack for the pull out.  Maybe I was a sucker lol but no regrets.