News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flood of unfinished project Chargers on Ebay lately

Started by Charger440RDN, November 06, 2009, 04:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger440RDN

There has been an absolute flood of unfinished project Chargers on ebay lately, how much are these unfinished projects even worth now? In the current economy does it really matter if it's an R/T or not? Doesn't seem like it. I hate when a car is in pieces in somebody's garage and in the add they say "it's all there I just don't have the time to restore it"  ::)

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 06, 2009, 04:10:14 PM
I hate when a car is in pieces in somebody's garage and in the add they say "it's all there I just don't have the time to restore it"  ::)

I just don't have the money to restore mine right now :leaving: :pity:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Troy

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 06, 2009, 04:15:59 PM
I hate when a car is in pieces in somebody's garage and in the add they say "it's all there I just don't have the time to restore it"  ::)

I bought mine that way - probably will be selling them that way. To do it right really does take a lot of time and money. I currently have 5 running vehicles and just keeping up with the maintenance on those keeps me from working on the projects. If I had kids, two jobs, or lots of hobbies there's no way I'd ever get anything done on the cars.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger440RDN

I hate when a car is in pieces in somebody's garage and in the add they say "it's all there I just don't have the time to restore it"  ::)

That's fine though, your'e not trying to sell yours.  :lol: But why do people strip a Charger down to the bone, lose parts and then basically give up on it, put it on Ebay and think it's still worth $10,000 as is?  :brickwall:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 06, 2009, 04:20:12 PM

That's fine though, your'e not trying to sell yours.  :lol: But why do people strip a Charger down to the bone, lose parts and then basically give up on it, put it on Ebay and think it's still worth $10,000 as is?  :brickwall:

Because thats the vision they had when they bought it.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on November 06, 2009, 04:19:20 PM

I bought mine that way - probably will be selling them that way. To do it right really does take a lot of time and money. I currently have 5 running vehicles and just keeping up with the maintenance on those keeps me from working on the projects. If I had kids, two jobs, or lots of hobbies there's no way I'd ever get anything done on the cars.

Troy

yes adding the kids and wife to the mix mulitiplys the time . I have gotten two restored in 20 years  8 more to go   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger440RDN

I think it's funny when the seller says " It's a solid start to a project, all it needs is both rear quarters, floor pans, rear frame rails and a roof "!! No interior included and no title!! $7,500 FIRM :smilielol: :smilielol:

TUFCAT

Buying a car in pieces is just asking for trouble and headaches.  :brickwall:

I won't buy anything that was taken apart by someone other than me.....unless the project came with a complete inventory of EVERYTHING - and I mean EVERYTHING!!  

Even then, it's still a nightmare.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Don't mean to pee in the pool here....but I've been there and done that before. I had two 1973 Roadrunners in the garage at once (both in different stages of disassembly). I would've had to buy a third car - a complete one -  just to put all the parts and pieces back together in the right spot.  :brickwall:

It would have killed the project to buy the third car so I gave up. These projects are not for the faint of heart.

Charger440RDN

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 06, 2009, 08:03:15 PM
Buying a car in pieces is just asking for trouble and headaches.  :brickwall:

I won't buy anything that was taken apart by someone other than me.....unless the project came with a complete inventory of EVERYTHING - and I mean EVERYTHING!!  

Even then, it's still a nightmare.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Don't mean to pee in the pool here....but I've been there and done that before. I had two 1973 Roadrunners in the garage at once (both in different stages of disassembly). I would've had to by a third car - a complete one -  just to put all the parts and pieces back together in the right spot.

I would have killed the project to buy the third car so I gave up. These projects are not for the faint of heart.

I always have wondered how difficult it is to put a basketcase together, it probably takes years even if you have a service manual. That's probably why those cars are always for sale, the owner gets overwhelmed trying to find parts.

motorcitydak

Thats how I bought my car. It was bought by a kid a few years ago completely assembled for $3500. I just did not have the center console or correct front seats I was told. He stripped it completely and put everythinhg in labeled boxes. It was sitting at the blasters with a quote of $1200. It was a '68 and after the new dukes movie, he wanted a GL. He sold the car to me for $3000. I came there twice to get the car. First with a 14x6 enclosed trailer to bring home all the parts. Believe me, that thing was full. Then 2 weeks later I came back with a car hauler and brought the shell home.

I am not worried about piecing everything together, that is where you guys come in. It also helps that there will not be that many of the little parts going back in. Mine will be more of a SCCA race/street car with a bare bones interior and custom everything else. Basically all I need from the stock car is the body. While a '68 is my all time favorite car, there are still some things about it that I am not a huge fan of. Its my car and I will be building it exactly how I want
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Mike DC

I once read a figure (this was like 10 or 15 years ago).  It was estimated that 3/4ths of all the cars that get totally torn down will not get put back together by the same person.  And 2/3rds of them will never go back together at all.  

The half-finished projects can sometimes be a great deal.  

But that's only *IF* they're sold very cheap.  And *IF* the car comes with a ton of parts.  And *IF* you already know these cars backwards & forwards so well that the disassembled starting condition won't wreck your ability to reassemble it.

mally69

i bought my 68 in peices but i knew what to look for before hand plus the body is in good shape

BrianShaughnessy

If Sinnamon wasn't my old car I wouldn't have paid the cash.  $7K firm... solid project my azz!    Well, the frame rails are good.

So.. what happens is it's now fall and some well meaning people are bailing out on projects they'll never complete for whatever reason.   Happens every year.   People get in over their heads and they're just trying to get their money back out of what they put in...  but it doesn't work that way to prospective buyers.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

41husk

Troy

I agree, and it still amazes me.  People will spend 7-10k on a project that will cost 15-20k, if they do all the work themselves, and take years to finish.  Rather than buying something finished for 25-35 that they can drive, show and enjoy today.  I know I have done it myself.  The two cars I am selling now will never realize the money invested.  The projects need to get done but my advice would be to buy your dream car as close to turn key as you can.  It will save you money in the long run and you will never get back the years you could have been enjoying the car. :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Troy

The flip side of course is buying a "polished turd" or "lipstick on a pig". I'm still undecided as to whether I want a car that's apart so I know everything that went into it or a "finished" car where I have no idea what's underneath. I've seen many instances where someone overpayed for a "restored" car only to redo most of it. The upside is you can usually drive it while fixing the little stuff but bad body work means it's all coming back apart. Most of us here (and probably a large majority overall) can't afford to purchase a true "correct" nut-and-bolt restoration with documentation or from a reputable shop. I have/had 3 "driver" quality cars and all will take as much (or more) to do right than my projects - but I can enjoy them "as is" if I want. I say this because most of the trim, interior, chrome, etc on a driver looks bad once you get the paint finished so assume you're going to replace all of it any way. If you want to drive one that is "presentable" but not a show car then, I agree, buy a driver in the first place.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Blown70

I did that a couple years back bought a solid project, but needed, motor, tranny, sheet metal, not frames, but Wow start to run up that tab.

Sold that one, got out what i had in it, and bought a running driving car.... which while needs a few things could be driven.

Great example is a car like Allen's (41husk).  I mean for $20K... you could fire it up and drive it tomorrow.... yet some idiot is going to spend 7,000 on  a project and spend another 20,000 MINIMUM to get it to where his essentially is now..... :shruggy: :slap:

bull

I don't know what to say about unfinished project cars on Ebay but I've gotta say it's not too encouraging to read this thread with my car torn completely apart right now.

Blown70

Quote from: bull on November 07, 2009, 11:16:07 AM
I don't know what to say about unfinished project cars on Ebay but I've gotta say it's not too encouraging to read this thread with my car torn completely apart right now.

But your not listing it on ebay in not fixed state either bud.  Some of those things on there will need A LOT of help and some one obviously tore them apart 3-5 years ago and now wants/needs money.......

Not the same as you.

terrible one

I bought my car on Ebay in that condition in 2004 or so I think. It's definitely a LOT further along but is still in pieces so to speak and doesn't do anything but sit. Also, it seems the longer I go without finishing it, the less  I work on it now. I guess it's this time of year that everyone gets the winter blues and tries to cash in.

bull

Quote from: Blown70 on November 07, 2009, 11:19:21 AM
Quote from: bull on November 07, 2009, 11:16:07 AM

But your not listing it on ebay in not fixed state either bud.  Some of those things on there will need A LOT of help and some one obviously tore them apart 3-5 years ago and now wants/needs money.......

Not the same as you.

No, it's not. But I am somewhat guilty of not organizing my parts as well as I should have. Most of it is bagged and tagged but if I were to do it all over again I think I'd make myself a pigeon hole cabinet and organize it all that way with labels rather than boxes and bags. Oh well, live and learn.

Charger440RDN

So the consensus is that buying one like this is a  :badidea: :badidea: :badidea: :badidea:

john.v

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 06, 2009, 07:26:13 PM
I think it's funny when the seller says " It's a solid start to a project, all it needs is both rear quarters, floor pans, rear frame rails and a roof "!! No interior included and no title!! $7,500 FIRM :smilielol: :smilielol:

sounds like my charger, but i got it for $1000. :lol: :lol:

nakita7

After many, many project cars myself, I did finally catch on. A project car is the biggest waste of both time and money you could ever buy. I got tired of seeing too many guys put $40K into cars that are only worth $20K done. It's not only the money lost, but the time, both on the car and time lost with family and loved ones.

Think about it this way: If a person loses time and money...money can be made back, time will NEVER be made back. Life is simply too short (for those of you who haven't figured it out yet  :2thumbs:).  :Twocents:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 07, 2009, 01:24:22 PM
So the consensus is that buying one like this is a  :badidea: :badidea: :badidea: :badidea:

Depends on what the price is.   Cheaper is better.  

You can buy just about anything you need to give or take.   The availability of AMD stuff has given you a price tag that you can spend on bodywork.   If you can't fix a fender for $600 cause it's full of holes and busted, get a new one,  same with a hood, etc.   You're not stuck looking thru swap meets for salvagable parts unless you really need to have "original" for a numbers queen.  

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

And the fact is, there are some people who enjoy the "project" more than the other parts of the hobby.  I know a guy who sells his musclecars almost as soon as he finishes them.  He will drive them for a month or sometimes two but as soon as he is done one, he is definitely looking for the next one.  There are some out there who genuinely enjoy the challenge of putting that mess back together.
Now personally I like the driving best and I'd also add that in 90% of cases people are best advised to get the most car they can possibly afford just so as to prevent their own project burnout.  But I did want to point out that there are a few who welcome a project car.