News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is the Viper still being run in competition?

Started by Ghoste, January 05, 2010, 09:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Aero426

No, all are privateers.   Probably the highest profile Viper in the country is the Primetime Racing car run in the American Lemans Series.    The team has made no bones about the fact that they don't even get any MORAL support from Chrysler.     The car is a converted World Challenge car and competes among the factory Corvettes and Porsches.

Ghoste

That's a shame.  I guess if they've made the decision to sell the brand they've also decided they just don't care about the car or anything to do with it at all?

Aero426

I would think there are/were some contingency programs for the World Challenge people.  The Comp Coupe was designed around being sold to privateers for that series.    But the days of the Oreca Lemans factory program are but a distant memory.    Chrysler all but forgot about road racing when they got back into NASCAR. 

Ghoste

Oh?  I hadn't realized it was that long ago.  Still you would think there would be some kind of support for the privateers.  Maybe technical more than moral but at least that much.  :lol:

Aero426

They won the Daytona 24 hrs overall in 2000, and that was getting towards the tail end of the program.  So yes, it's getting on in years.

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Ghoste on January 05, 2010, 09:43:53 PM
That's a shame.  I guess if they've made the decision to sell the brand they've also decided they just don't care about the car or anything to do with it at all?
I thought Fiat decided to keep Viper a while ago?
(Aero426)Does Primetime Racing finish well?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Ghoste

I'm not sure that they decided to keep it.  I thought they had it sold and then the buyer backed out before the final parts were worked out? 

Aero426

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on January 06, 2010, 09:39:26 AM
(Aero426)Does Primetime Racing finish well?

Yes, they have done reasonably well, especially considering they are a completely self funded operation.    There is no way they can challenge for a class win against the mega buck factory teams, but they add a lot of color to the ALMS series.   They are running a heavily modified production car against cars much more purpose built.   The other similar team is Robertson Racing which runs the Ford GT.  This is another situation where the Ford factory gave zero support or encouragement.   But the car has been developed and runs pretty good.   It sounds great too.

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2010, 09:42:40 AM
I'm not sure that they decided to keep it.  I thought they had it sold and then the buyer backed out before the final parts were worked out? 
I hadn't read/heard that. Hmmm... :scratchchin: I'm glad they kept the flagship. http://www.autospies.com/news/Fiat-Decides-To-Save-Viper-And-Continue-Development-49424/

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Ghoste

That's good news.  It's amazing that the car czars are allowing it.

Aero426

For 2010 They have announced a new club racing car called the Viper ACR-X which will run in the Viper Racing League.   It has the Competition Coupe type of body.   

Landonsrt

I think you might be referring to this..... Just came in this morning. $105,000.00  Well, for street purpose anyway.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Landonsrt

While it was being driven for new car inspection, something punctured the left rear tire. Just cost $690 for one tire..