News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sparkplug ground electrode question

Started by Ghoste, December 14, 2009, 11:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

A guy at a buddy's shop this morning was telling me that he always uses a small file to take the sharp edges off of the ground electrode on his plugs and that it helps to improve plug performance.  I've never heard of this one before, any truth to it?

Cooter

Only thing I can think of would be hot spots...Again, part of "Blueprinting"...The less hot spots you have in the combustion chamber, the better...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

His reasoning was that rounded edges made for a stronger spark.  It doesn`t make much sense to me but I`m no engineer for sure.

oldschool

thats the opposite of what you want.it is alot easier for the spark to jump a sharp edge.when a sparkplug wears out,it's the electrode that wears round,thus making it harder for the spark to jump,ie less efficient.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Ghoste

That is what I have always been led to believe but as I said, no engineer so I thought I would check it out.  Thanks oldschool. :2thumbs: