News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best automotive advancement?

Started by 68X426, November 04, 2009, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

What do you think is the best automotive advancement in the past decades?  :icon_smile_question:

I ask because I found myself talking to the local JDs (juvenile delinquents for those too young to have heard that). I find that there is a great retro car scene happening (between ages 12 and 20) that was not there with that age group 10 years ago. The kids mob my Road Runner and really want to know some history.

So the one JD asked me what I thought about advancements and my initial reaction was 2 items: tires and hand cleaners.

I marvel at the incredible quality in tires since I changed my first tire at age 9 in 1966.

I really marvel at how great today's hand cleaners are. In my day [ :eek2: ] we had a bar of Lava and a brush, and hands never got clean. And my mom never did get my foul mouth washed out with Lava and that brush. :smilielol:

These orange cleaners today get it done in about 15 seconds. Everyone takes for granted how great these cleaners are, but they were not there back in the day.

So what do the members think are the best advancements since the muscle car era ended (let's say 1974)? It can be anything you think of as time saving, power generating, more efficient, and/or more enjoyable. 

:cheers: Dan

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bordin34

The widespread use of fuel injection, airbags, abs.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Mr.Woolery

I'll second the advances in tire compounds.  Everything else hinges on it--doesn't matter how much brakes, power, or suspensions have improved...without improvements in tire technology none of it would matter.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

Armudster

Other than tires, we really had it good back then!!!!!!!!

Todd Wilson

Tires,Fuel Injection and oil/lube.     

Safety issues have really come along way. From door latches,safety glass and seatbelts to airbags. Not to mention the engineering for crumple zones and the way cars absorb a crash. Its really a tough call on whats best. But having vehicles from 1947 to 2007   there are many things that have improved over the years while other things have dropped.

I would probably say tires. They seem to last longer and handle much better then bias ply tires in all the various weather conditions and that has probably made the biggest difference.

Todd

captnsim

Halogen lights, disc brakes, and radial tires.

b5blue

Bikini's!! OH Wait....wrong topic!  :smilielol:

Charger RT

I would say computers. They are what makes the fuel injection work the ABS work. The air bag work. The tires we now have were designed with computers. Crumple zones are computer based. The transfer of ideas on this forum.
Tim

68X426

Quote from: Charger RT on November 04, 2009, 08:21:34 PMThe transfer of ideas on this forum.

Great observation. I've learned a lot from everyone who posts. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68charger383

Gas mileage

Higher HP 400-600 in a stock grocery getter that still gets 25 MPG

Navigation & Steering wheel radio controls  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Brock Samson

I'll third the tires,..  Radials are soooooooooo much better, then, probably the adoption of disc brakes. Nest I'll go with the fold down rear seat,..  :shruggy:

motorcitydak

If you want the absolute best advancement, You have to go back a lot farther than a few decades. Try about 100 years or so. I am talking about the internal combustion engine. That is hands down the best advancement. After that I would have to say MPFI or direct injection.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

bull

If I have to pick just one I'd say disc brakes is the hands-down winner.

Tilar

For performance and drivability I'd have to go with disc brakes, Fuel injection and electronic ignition... For safety I'd have to go with tires and the crumple zones they build todays cars.

Anyone remember driving with bias tires and radials mixed?  :eek2:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bull

Quote from: Tilar on November 05, 2009, 05:11:36 AM
For performance and drivability I'd have to go with disc brakes, Fuel injection and electronic ignition... For safety I'd have to go with tires and the crumple zones they build todays cars.

Anyone remember driving with bias tires and radials mixed?  :eek2:

I'm thinking disc brakes might go in the safety category as well. :yesnod:

tan top

yeah !     tires !! disc brakes  .......... computer controled stuff  ABS ,  fuel injection , electronic ignition  :yesnod: , anti burst locks  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mr.Woolery

I suppose we could go even more basic and say things like automation or machining.  Without the ability to mass produce cars, they'd still be the tinkerings of blacksmiths without any sort of standardization of parts.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

Mike DC

I think the advancements in materials has been huge.  Even within the last 40 years alone. 

We don't think of cars having gotten any lighter weight . . . but imagine what we would be driving if they were building 2010 features with 1965 building practices/materials.  Add another half a ton onto these cars and toss all hopes at decent performance. 

Cooter

Advancements?

Well, I'd say being able to safely make over 1000 HP on 93 octane pump swill...Back in the day, that would be like driving a blown Alcohol engine on the street, with a bug catcher and mechanical F.I.....

The ability for an engine that's Leaps and bounds smaller than say the monsters of yeasterday that will never return, and that we/I am so fond of, make more power then they did out the box...

Ease of what was once considered "Race only" Stroker engines cheaply..

OILS..While today's oils don't have the ZDDP that the older ones did, the older oils didn't do as good a job as today's oils did by far.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Nacho-RT74

define PAST DECADES ?  :lol:

Dodge Brother engines on Model T and its assembly plant line. If wasn't that rest is just history. No GOOD cars on hands of everyone. if we don't have an initial masive movement, we don't have advances able to share with everyone.

THEN AFTER THAT, if you ask me, unibody

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Mr.Woolery on November 05, 2009, 10:48:01 AM
I suppose we could go even more basic and say things like automation or machining.  Without the ability to mass produce cars, they'd still be the tinkerings of blacksmiths without any sort of standardization of parts.

Yeah but thats a manufacturing advancement not an automotive one.

Todd