News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice about selling my car

Started by rcapooch, November 03, 2009, 04:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcapooch

As a lot of you have seen, I have the 71 Superbee for sale on this web site and other sites. I have had it up for sale for 6 months now, And no takers. Is my ad scaring people off ? is my car not to desireable ? Is the description all wrong ? not enough photos? What am I doing wrong that I can't sell this car? I could use some help here guys, I am no pro at selling !!  :brickwall:
  Thanks for your help !!
                                                                     Ron

Blown70

First economy.... I will look at the ad, but realize that people dont have much excess to play with... Home equity loan are not being handed out and many people are losing jobs or spouses losing there jobs, dual income homes down to one.............

Tom

Troy

I happen to love that car! Unfortunately, I've got too much other stuff going on to make any purchases like that. I wish I had money to buy a bunch of cars right now (and the space to keep them).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

41husk

I made a Bee clone, I love the car but I am purchasing a Daytona clone and I am having some of the same problems selling my 68 and 73.  The car is definetly desirable!  I wish you luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Brock Samson

I'm in the same boat as folks are just wanting the super duper deal or asking for pics,..
Market's off now, best hold on as long as you can..

rcapooch

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 03, 2009, 06:17:12 PM
I'm in the same boat as folks are just wanting the super duper deal or asking for pics,..

Well I understand about the market, but I still see cars being sold and bought. As for a "super duper deal" I feel the asking price is a good deal. and I do have a ton of pics that go with my ad.  :shruggy:

tricky lugnuts

Have you tried eBay or anything? A lot of websites like this one, people probably already have a lot of irons in the fire.

Of course, as the others have said, what's left of the U.S. economy is in a pretty sorry state of affairs, with 20 million or so in the workforce unemployed or underemployed. It looks to me like a decent posting you've put on this forum and looks to me like a very nice car. Keep trying, put it on new websites to reach a larger audience, and if that fails, there might be no other option but to lower your price.

How bad do you really want to sell it? I figure the best way to do it if you have to sell, absolutely have to sell, is a no reserve auction. That will tell you what going market value is. People will probably be all over that, and come crawling out of the woodwork hoping they can get it for a bargain, but you might not get what you want for it in that scenario. Or, if excitement builds as you hope, you might get more. Hard to tell without trying it.  :Twocents:

I'm no good at selling things. I always tell people I couldn't sell a life preserver to a drowning person!

bull

First off, I think 81 pics is plenty but you need to move the bubbled quarter pics and fender tag pics to the end. Start off with overall pics of the outside of the car (its strongpoint IMO) and move down to the more obscure. I'm no expert on 3rd gen prices but I'd say they're not worth as much as 2nd gens and right now people are buying 2nd gens for around this price range. That said I'm not going to tell you to lower the price. In fact if anything I'd tell you to raise it but I believe the price is fair.

The economy is still wobbly right now an even though it's picking up toys like collector cars will probably take a while longer to rebound. You might have to wait it out longer.

Go through your ad and make sure there are no typos ("66hp motor" comes to mind) get rid of nicknames and abbreviations like Offy and Eldy (I assume you meant Eddy) and spell the words out, put spaces between the punctuation, etc. Some people subconsciously don't want to buy from someone who they know they can beat in a writing/spelling contest.

Register yourself with youtube and then put up some quality videos that you can link so people can hear the car run and see it drive (but don't abuse the car in the videos, ie. no burnouts).

Market the car in more places. Have you put it on craigslist locally? If not then do so and I would also put it on craigslist in the nearest big towns. I don't know where you live but I live near Portland and I routinely shop Seattle too, even if I'm not in the market to buy, but I might tell someone and he tells someone and that guy's cousin buys it. It's called exposure and the more the better.

68charger383

If your hearing crickets, I'd say it's your price. The people who have the cash, will only part with it right now if the car is heavily discounted and to good of a deal to pass up. I'd say prices are down about 1/3 from their 06/07 highs right now :Twocents:

I'm not up on my 3rd gen prices, but I would deem your car to be worth a $2K-$3K more than the equivalent 71 charger R/T 4 speed price. I'd say any 3rd gen over $20K would have to be (1) a desirable car, which yours is. (2) A very recent restoration. Your car looks great, but from what I can see in the pictures, it's starting to show the signs of it being an older restoration. Plus, the fact that the motor isn't NOM hurts the asking price.

I really like seeing video on the car and would agree that is something you should add.  

I would remove the reference regarding the fender tags, although honest, it would scare me off. Either screw them on to the fender or tell the buyer you took them off so no one would steal them.

Tell more about the history on the car, how many owners, where you got the car etc.

Tell about a trip/show you went to in the car to show it's reliable.

If you haven't yet, stick an ad on Moparts and CL.

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

chargerboy69

Quote from: 68charger383 on November 04, 2009, 01:25:55 AM
If your hearing crickets, I'd say it's your price.

I agree.  I have been looking for a new car, so I have been watching prices. Your car is sweet, however over $20,000.00 might be a bit high for a 3rd. gen.  You can find a nice 69 R/T for the same price.  And those are usually a more desirable car.  Here is a members car on E-Bay this week.  A triple black 69 R/T.  Does not get much better. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-R-T-TRIPLE-BLACK-A-T-440-69-70-68_W0QQitemZ140354670060QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item20adca4dec
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

73chgrSE

The market for classic cars, and the economy as a whole, will get worse before it gets better. If you really need to unload it lower your price and sell it while you can.

mikesbbody

I think there are 2 kinds of buyers, guy's like me who dont care so much about numbers matching and guy's who will only buy numbers matching. maybe the non matching Motor and trans is putting buyers off? I would buy it if I had the cash  :2thumbs: also, if you could find a super bee insert for the hood that may help the sale (even though RT inserts are more sought after you could sell it seperate for some good $) The fact that it wasnt a original 4 speed car wouldnt bother me if anything, you have made it more desirable.

Brock Samson

Quote from: rcapooch on November 03, 2009, 06:49:28 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on November 03, 2009, 06:17:12 PM

Well I understand about the market, but I still see cars being sold and bought. As for a "super duper deal" I feel the asking price is a good deal. and I do have a ton of pics that go with my ad.  :shruggy:

I've had a few folks tell me my asking price is fair... and a couple going for the Hail Mary low ball bid..
   If they ain't got cash in their fist at the time they insult me what's the point?..  :shruggy:
Some folks will tell you to "Unload it now!" and take some ridiculously low amount,..
But what if the market does recover in the next quarter and the prices climb again?.. Remember "buy low and sell high", not the other way around, doesn't matter if it's Homes, Cars or Stocks - if you climbed aboard the game at the peak of the cycle your just gonna either have to wait it out, for it to come around again or take the loss and move on.

472 R/T SE

You won't find better advertisement for the money using ebay.

I recently listed a car.  I used photobucket (FREE) to post 30 or so pictures.  I got my invoice & it was $8.  That's pretty cheap considering it's world wide advertising. 

You state you're trying to get into a new Challenger & that may help you.  Of course it works against you too as you'll get the bottom feeders low balling you.  I had a buddy sell for the same reason except he became desperate (@bankruptcy time) & pretty much gave his Dart away. 

Like me he didn't sell it through ebay, just used it to reach out to the prospective buyers'.   

If it had the #'s drive train, especially the auto back in it & no rust bubbles, IMO you would have sold it for the original $26k.  That prolly goes w/o saying though.  :Twocents:

aussiemuscle

how about putting a nice pic of it in your sig and some 'for sale' text?

listing on ebay is good idea. make sure if you use 'buy it now' you make it worth the effort. buy it now is a good way for buyers to avoiding a bidding war. the starting auction price should be low enough to get them started, but don't start it at $1 (you waste a lot of time waiting for it to get near your desired price. also specify that zero feedback bids will be deleted and that time wasters are not welcome.

The70RT

Quote from: chargerboy69 on November 04, 2009, 10:17:18 AM

I agree.  I have been looking for a new car, so I have been watching prices. Your car is sweet, however over $20,000.00 might be a bit high for a 3rd. gen.  You can find a nice 69 R/T for the same price.  And those are usually a more desirable car.  Here is a members car on E-Bay this week.  A triple black 69 R/T.  Does not get much better. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-R-T-TRIPLE-BLACK-A-T-440-69-70-68_W0QQitemZ140354670060QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item20adca4dec

That was one of Travis's. It went for 25K
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rcapooch

I did the e-bay thing 2 times, and did not come close to the reserve. I have it on Moparts, oldride.com, challengertalk.com and here. all my pictures on photobucket. now I got the camcorder yesterday and did my thing with the car, so I will upload it to you tube today, and I will get my wife to rewrite the ad so it does not look like a 5 year old did it.  I appreciate all the input you guys are giving me !!!! I guess it is a waiting game. I think the money is there, people are to afraid to spend it right now. Time will tell. I thought it would of been sold by now, I started listing this car back in May.

Tilar

That's a beautiful car, Really.

Problem as I see it is there are very few that might have 24k easily available, and those that do don't want to let go of it with the way things are, and it's not going to get better anytime soon. Then there are those that would have to sell their car to buy yours and they are in the same boat trying to sell theirs as you are... It's definitely a buyers market right now.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69charger2002

Quote from: The70RT on November 05, 2009, 02:17:52 AM
Quote from: chargerboy69 on November 04, 2009, 10:17:18 AM

That was one of Travis's. It went for 25K

yeah i sold my 69 R/T for 25k. triple black. not #'s matching but a real R/T. i paid 25k for that car 4 years ago and have spent a few thousand on it since. they just aren't worth what they were 2-3 years ago.  your 71 is a very nice car, but i think 24k is a little more than people will pay for a 71-74 right now. there is that white 71 R/T for 17,500 or whatever, it looks like a great buy, real R/T too, has been for sale for a while too.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

rcapooch

Let me ask a question, maybe it's me, but when you sell an item, you are to advertise the item a bit higher than what you actually want for the car Right ? Because there are people out there that want to wheel and deal and low ball Right? That is what I was told when you sell, start out high, than come down, Right or wrong ? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I am trying to figure this all out. I am asking $24,000 obo Make me an offer I can't refuse ! so me stating that in my ad is to tell people i will move off of this price, Correct?

Everyone seems to think I want $24,000 and that it. Am I doin this ad of mine wrong ? am I sending out the wrong signals about the price of the car ?  :shruggy:
                                                                       Thanks
                                                                         Ron

Charger440RDN

Unfortunately the old saying "Your car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it" applies. In this economy people are either broke, or are not willing to part with the money. I guess now the NADA values can be thrown out the window for most classic cars.

rcapooch

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 05, 2009, 04:10:01 PM
Unfortunately the old saying "Your car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it" applies. In this economy people are either broke, or are not willing to part with the money. I guess now the NADA values can be thrown out the window for most classic cars.

Yeah i think you are right with the NADA prices  :2thumbs:

68charger383

Quote from: rcapooch on November 05, 2009, 01:32:18 PM
Let me ask a question, maybe it's me, but when you sell an item, you are to advertise the item a bit higher than what you actually want for the car Right ? Because there are people out there that want to wheel and deal and low ball Right? That is what I was told when you sell, start out high, than come down, Right or wrong ? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I am trying to figure this all out. I am asking $24,000 obo Make me an offer I can't refuse ! so me stating that in my ad is to tell people i will move off of this price, Correct?

Everyone seems to think I want $24,000 and that it. Am I doin this ad of mine wrong ? am I sending out the wrong signals about the price of the car ?  :shruggy:
                                                                      Thanks
                                                                        Ron

If after 6 months your not getting any action, your price is off. Normally, someone would get pictures and then knock you down on the condition in order to try and get the car for $20K. But if they think the car is only worth, let's say $15K, then they probably won't bother since they figure you won't come down that far in your price. I bet you have a lot of lookers waiting for you to lower your price down to what they think the car is worth.

So if you don't need to sell, hold firm until you get your price. If you want to sell, drop the price until you get some bites.

Here is a pretty nice car 71 Super Bee selling for $15,500.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/1450671777.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

The70RT

[/quote]

That car is no comparison and isn't worth the 15K he's asking. It needs all the interior redone and what's that a big piece of bondo chunk missing on the left rear quarter  :eek2:

rcapooch

Quote from: 68charger383 on November 06, 2009, 12:06:03 AM

Everyone seems to think I want $24,000 and that it. Am I doin this ad of mine wrong ? am I sending out the wrong signals about the price of the car ?  :shruggy:
                                                                      Thanks
                                                                        Ron

If after 6 months your not getting any action, your price is off. Normally, someone would get pictures and then knock you down on the condition in order to try and get the car for $20K. But if they think the car is only worth, let's say $15K, then they probably won't bother since they figure you won't come down that far in your price. I bet you have a lot of lookers waiting for you to lower your price down to what they think the car is worth.

So if you don't need to sell, hold firm until you get your price. If you want to sell, drop the price until you get some bites.

If that guy gets 15K for his car, Than I should have no problem getting 22k for mine.

The70RT

Quote from: rcapooch on November 06, 2009, 04:51:41 PM
Quote from: 68charger383 on November 06, 2009, 12:06:03 AM

Thanks
                                                                        Ron

If that guy gets 15K for his car, Than I should have no problem getting 22k for mine.

I don't see him getting 10 for it :Twocents:

68charger383

I think the $15,500 car was priced based on the price your asking for your car. He seems to mention that the car would be worth $25K when you fix it up. I'd say the car is worth $8K-$10K.

Here is another on selling for $12K. I would say the car is worth $5K (a slight premium above a similar 71 R/T in similar condition)  http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1453565746.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Brock Samson

FYI:
Taking what folks are saying on this thread I've decided to lower my R.R.s' price to $12K.
:shruggy:

68charger383

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 07, 2009, 07:57:58 PM
FYI:
Taking what folks are saying on this thread I've decided to lower my R.R.s' price to $12K.

I wish I would have waited, but I just bought a firebird last week. I paid about 2/3 of what the car would have cost 2 years ago, to good of a deal to pass up.

I think you''ll move the car real quick for $12K, it's now a steal. Good Luck   :cheers:

<-----1,000 post
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 07, 2009, 07:57:58 PM
FYI:

Exhibit A:  Someone wanting to move a car.  :icon_smile_wink:

Forza

I'm surprised as hell that your car hasn't sold yet Brock. If I had a few less bills I'd be snatching that in a heart beat. Love those 71's  :2thumbs:

rcapooch

Well, I put mine back on the e-bag again, I will have to see what happens. I knocked it down a grand. with a best offer option.
                                             Thanks again for all the input you guys gave me !!!!!   :cheers:
                                                                                  Ron

Brock Samson

mine's been on CL and here since Jan. and I can't begin to tell you how many picture's of the car I've sent all over the internet... I finally reached the end of my rope a few weeks back when a guy wasted my Sat. saying he would be out to look at the car. and never showed...  or called, or answered his phone... :scratchchin: This - after i spent an hour on the phone and sent out 20 pics over two days...
Anyhow, the RV is up for sale now too...  :P remember my "Getting Out of Dodge" thread?.. I'm afraid I've reached that point.

The70RT

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 08, 2009, 10:44:27 AM
mine's been on CL and here since Jan. and I can't begin to tell you how many picture's of the car I've sent all over the internet... I finally reached the end of my rope a few weeks back when a guy wasted my Sat. saying he would be out to look at the car. and never showed...  or called, or answered his phone... :scratchchin: This - after i spent an hour on the phone and sent out 20 pics over two days...
Anyhow, the RV is up for sale now too...  :P remember my "Getting Out of Dodge" thread?.. I'm afraid I've reached that point.

For one you need to show what's under the tape. I don't think you ever showed a close up pic or even mentioned any rust. How about some under the hood shots, front door panels and front seat pics. A lot more info and detailed pics would help  :Twocents:

41husk

I spent 5 hours today taking floor board, trunk, wheel well, inside quarters and fire wall pics.  and sent them to Australia.  The bad part is after seeing how solid she is, I am more convinced it is well worth the asking price :brickwall:  Brock, I had a wrestler's dad looking for a 71-73 RR a few months ago.  Yours was a little out of his price range then, if he has not purchased anything yet, he may be interested.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Brock Samson

Sold it a half hour ago, A great guy drove the 1 1/2 hours and gave me a deposit..  :2thumbs:

Forza

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 08, 2009, 08:15:27 PM
  Sold it a half hour ago, A great guy drove the 1 1/2 hours and gave me a deposit..  :2thumbs:
:cheers: :2thumbs:

The70RT

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

41husk

Congratulations, some one got a great deal!!!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

General_01

I will be keeping my eye on it. I would not get your hopes up. It is a nice car, but it isn't a $23,000 car in this market. Non matching motor and originally an automatic that has been converted to a 4 speed(was the hump replaced and if it was, how good was the welding and such) are gonna be deal breakers along with the bubbling paint and rust issues. Just my opinion, but I really don't see the car going for much over $16,000 on Ebay.

Don't get me wrong. I like your car. Got one myself. Also a non numbers car. I just think if I had $23,000 laying around in this economy, I would be looking at getting something that is original and would have a better chance at keeping it's value. Right now a non numbers matching car priced at what a numbers matching car is not it. I checked on John Bobers site, and the value for a 1971 Superbee 383 automatic is at about $29,000. Yours is non numbers matching and it is now a four speed. Some might say more desirable, but when you get up into this kind of money, it is only desirable if it came that way or if you have money to burn.

I do wish you good luck. I like the color. I hope you find the right buyer who just has to have your car.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed