News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TTI headers/valve train

Started by 68blue, November 02, 2009, 08:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blue

Buying TTI polished ceramic headers for the 383 on my 68 and was told that they should not be attached to the engine during break in.

Was also told by a friend who put them on his Challenger, that this did not apply if you had a roller valve train.

Have not heard back from TTI as of yet on my inquiry about this but looked into the cost of complete roller valve train, pretty pricy, but I don't want to have to pull the engine again and scare up an extra exaust setup.

stock heads
Performer DP RPM intake
750cfm carb
Jasper cat 2 rebuild
3.55 posi
MSD

Friend said that roller valve train was a good investment but I was not sure if I really needed it for a street/strip car. Thoughts?

bill440rt

I'd follow TTI's advice.

I also have a set of polished TTI's on my car. Had the engine broken-in/dyno'd using a scrap pair of headers. During break-in, engine temps can be very high causing the polished ceramic finish to discolor, which will permanently ruin the finish. That's why they recommend not using them for break-in.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

oldschool

Quote from: bill440rt on November 02, 2009, 08:32:00 PM
I'd follow TTI's advice.

I also have a set of polished TTI's on my car. Had the engine broken-in/dyno'd using a scrap pair of headers. During break-in, engine temps can be very high causing the polished ceramic finish to discolor, which will permanently ruin the finish. That's why they recommend not using them for break-in.
:Twocents:
:iagree:     thats exactly right
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

68X426

Quote from: 68blue on November 02, 2009, 08:21:35 PM
Buying TTI polished ceramic headers for the 383 on my 68 and was told that they should not be attached to the engine during break in.

I have TTI on my Hemi. Please follow the TTI guidance. They know what they are doing.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

firefighter3931

Use manifolds or cheap headers for the breakin.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68blue

Have the correct info from TTI, will have to find a way to get the engine run in. That roller stuff looked interesting but a little over the top for what I wanted to do. ;D