News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Dual Snorkel then unsilenced

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, November 01, 2009, 05:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Does anyone know the approximate date that Dodge changed over from the dual snorkel to unsilenced breather (1968)? Non CA car with Air.

Thanks,

Dans 68

Good question. If that information is out there I have not found it.  :P  I'm assuming my '68 that was built on Dec 26, 1967 had a dual snorkel, and am restoring as such. Does anyone out there in Chargerland know?  :scratchchin:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Sixt8Chrgr

My car was built Dec 21 67.

What I have read the early 68 Chargers had the dual snorkel breather. The cars were first produced in September 67 which I would consider the early cars. Cars built in late December are more mid year cars are they not? My car right now has a unsilenced breather but I don't think it is original, but honestly I have not looked at it real close. I will check it out soon. You probably know more about this than I do but it just seems based on when our cars were built they would have had the unsilenced, but who know?? ::)

tan top

i  always thought that twin snorkels were  for  cars with the noise reduction package  only !!  but  i await to be corrected  :slap: :yesnod:
............... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: tan top on November 01, 2009, 07:25:51 PM
i  always thought that twin snorkels were  for  cars with the noise reduction package  only !!  but  i await to be corrected  :slap: :yesnod:

............... :popcrn:

I think you are right for the 69 model. But I don't know that for sure.

tan top

no neither do i  :scratchchin:      i know a   few early 68 cars  had the 67 larger unsilenced  aircleaner  :scratchchin:
  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

histoy

I've have a similar question about my '68 Coronet R/T.   When I bought it in Sept. it had just undergone a complete restoration.   It was built in LA on Oct. 31st 1967.  The car had a dual snorkle air cleaner which the seller said was correct for a LA car with air conditioning.  However, the only info I've found said that no '68 Coronet R/Ts were produced without the unsilenced air cleaner.  Hopefully we can track down the original owner to see what he remembers.

mopar_nut_440_6

My 68 440 car has the unsilenced air cleaner.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Dans 68

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on November 01, 2009, 08:19:23 PM
My 68 440 car has the unsilenced air cleaner.

All '68 440 equipped Chargers had the unsilenced air cleaner. This dual snorkel/unsilenced question is unique to the 383 Chargers.  :P

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: histoy on November 01, 2009, 08:05:28 PM
I've have a similar question about my '68 Coronet R/T.   When I bought it in Sept. it had just undergone a complete restoration.   It was built in LA on Oct. 31st 1967.  The car had a dual snorkle air cleaner which the seller said was correct for a LA car with air conditioning.  However, the only info I've found said that no '68 Coronet R/Ts were produced without the unsilenced air cleaner.  Hopefully we can track down the original owner to see what he remembers.

I have read on this board that some LA cars did have the dual snorkel. Your car may be correct to have the dual snorkel. :scratchchin:

69CoronetRT

Do you have the broadcast sheet or original widow sitcker? I'm not aware of any noise reduction packages for '68 which would mandate a snorkle breather. Unless there is something odd about this car, I would presume it should have the unsilenced breather. :Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 01, 2009, 09:47:36 PM

Do you have the broadcast sheet or original widow sitcker? I'm not aware of any noise reduction packages for '68 which would mandate a snorkle breather. Unless there is something odd about this car, I would presume it should have the unsilenced breather. :Twocents:
I do have the original window sticker for my car, and it says nothing about the a dual snorkel breather.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on November 02, 2009, 07:04:16 AM

I do have the original window sticker for my car, and it says nothing about the a dual snorkel breather.

Is there a noise reduction package listed on the sticker?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 02, 2009, 07:49:41 AM

Nope

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on November 02, 2009, 10:51:15 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 02, 2009, 07:49:41 AM

Nope

Unless there is something odd about this car, I would presume it should have the unsilenced breather. :Twocents:

y3chargerrt

I think the noise reduction package started in 69.