News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to get steering column parts for removing column shifter (w/parts pics)?

Started by joflaig, October 20, 2009, 09:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

I dropped the car off at the shop yesterday. Some of the work they're doing is converting to a floor mounted shifter from a column shifter. I want to take off all of the parts on the steering column related to the shifter so it looks like it came with a manual. Nobody seems to sell the pieces. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

b5blue

They are mostly if not complete different units, the tube inside, the lower bushing,the upper housing and internals ect and they are different 68 69 from 70 up  :scratchchin: ebay? 

joflaig

Went to the shop today. Since the upper housing pieces are diecast they said they could not cut out the gauge "cluster" and the boot/plug/mound where the shifter sits and weld in new plates and paint. The best they could do would be to to cut out the bulge where the shifter is mounted, adhere a piece of metal on the underside of the housing and bondo it over and paint. They didn't suggest doing this with the top housng where the shift gauge "cluster" is embedded. SO, really if I do anything here the question is should I get a used manual, power steering, column and have it restored? For $220 I can get the one pictured below from Tony's parts. What irks me is that I really only want to replace the top two housing pieces. I don't know how the internals of the column will get mixed and mtached here though. I'm not sure what to do.  :-\

joflaig

Quote from: joflaig on October 28, 2009, 07:36:12 PM
Went to the shop today. Since the upper housing pieces are diecast they said they could not cut out the gauge "cluster" and the boot/plug/mound where the shifter sits and weld in new plates and paint. The best they could do would be to to cut out the bulge where the shifter is mounted, adhere a piece of metal on the underside of the housing and bondo it over and paint. They didn't suggest doing this with the top housng where the shift gauge "cluster" is embedded. SO, really if I do anything here the question is should I get a used manual, power steering, column and have it restored. For $220 I can get the one pictured below from Tony's parts. What irks me is that I really only want to replace the top two housing pieces. I don't know how the internals of the column will get mixed and mtached here though. I'm not sure what to do.  :-\

b5blue

You will be glad you swap the whole thing or go aftermarket later when the car is all fixed up. I've seen them go on ebay for 125.00 sometimes but Tony has a good rep.

GT

Go aftermarket.  By the time you buy that one, and then have it rebuilt, you'll be the same $ wise...

Flaming River is a good option...
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

joflaig

Quote from: GT on November 01, 2009, 02:35:45 AM
Go aftermarket.  By the time you buy that one, and then have it rebuilt, you'll be the same $ wise...

Flaming River is a good option...

They do a lot for ot Rods, that's for sure. Anyway, after talking with Tony he said the two upper housing pieces on the column he was selling couldmore or less be swapped out for the existing pieces. So that's what I'm doing. I bought his part.