News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Bay Maintenance

Started by American Muscle, November 01, 2009, 01:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

American Muscle

I was just wondering what do you guys use when you clean your engine bay? I'm asking because I always just wipe it down with a paper towel everytime after I drive it. I never knew the correct way to clean it and I was wondering if you guys can just tell me the correct way to do it like what am I supposed to use, is there anything I should cover up, is there a specific type of cleaner I should be using etc. Like I said, my bay is always clean because I just give it a quick once over with a dry paper towel after everytime I drive it but I'd really like to know how it's supposed to be done the correct way. Thanks.
1968 Charger 360 Six Pack - My Frankenstein
1969 Road Runner 383 - My All Original
1970 Barracuda 318 - Another All Original

resq302

Typically, I only use paper towels for any type of leaks or liquids that may have sprayed up.  After that, I spray some Meguiars quick detailer in an area and then wipe dry with a small towel.  You can also choose to spray it on the towel and then wipe the towel over the parts on the engine or engine compartment.

Hope this helps. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1969chargerrtse

I use a soft cloth.  I would think the paper towel would drag the fine dirt into the paint?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

John_Kunkel

Yep, paper towels (even the Bounty type) will scratch highly polished surfaces.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use the microfiber cloths from Costco in the engine compt.   Softer than a paper towel but I would NEVER use them on the exterior :nono:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

I love threads like these!!

So many different products to choose from, all depends what you want to clean.
I use Griot's Garage Speed Shine detailer wipes a lot, they work great. They also have detailing sticks that you can use to get in tight areas.
A small California Duster works well on large areas. An orange based degreaser/cleaner sprayed on a rag is good too, for any stains on the engine.

I like to spray the battery lightly with a vinyl/rubber dressing out of an aerosol can. Leave it sit, don't wipe it or it will streak.

Anything else, I dunno maybe just detailer sprayed on the area & wiped, or sprayed on the rag first. Or, a good ol' warm damp rag with light soap, rung out so not to make a mess.

And, oh yeah, FOAM PAINT BRUSHES!!! They work awesome for getting into tight areas. Spray 'em with cleaner, detailer, or dipped in soapy water and squeezed out. Terrific for cleaning around hood hinges, distributor caps, carb linkages, bulkhead connector, wherever.

Stay away from those crappy paper towels. Stick with good 100% cotton cloths or like Chris suggested a micro fiber towel/rag. Griot's also has some awesome cotton & microfiber cloths.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Back N Black

Quote from: bill440rt on November 01, 2009, 10:11:07 PM
I love threads like these!!

So many different products to choose from, all depends what you want to clean.
I use Griot's Garage Speed Shine detailer wipes a lot, they work great. They also have detailing sticks that you can use to get in tight areas.
A small California Duster works well on large areas. An orange based degreaser/cleaner sprayed on a rag is good too, for any stains on the engine.

I like to spray the battery lightly with a vinyl/rubber dressing out of an aerosol can. Leave it sit, don't wipe it or it will streak.

Anything else, I dunno maybe just detailer sprayed on the area & wiped, or sprayed on the rag first. Or, a good ol' warm damp rag with light soap, rung out so not to make a mess.

And, oh yeah, FOAM PAINT BRUSHES!!! They work awesome for getting into tight areas. Spray 'em with cleaner, detailer, or dipped in soapy water and squeezed out. Terrific for cleaning around hood hinges, distributor caps, carb linkages, bulkhead connector, wherever.

Stay away from those crappy paper towels. Stick with good 100% cotton cloths or like Chris suggested a micro fiber towel/rag. Griot's also has some awesome cotton & microfiber cloths.
:Twocents:

Good Tips  :2thumbs:

twodko

Meguire's quick detail is a great choice for overall touch-up cleaning and foam brushes are worth their weight! I would NEVER use paper towels on any painted surface or one with a high gloss finish. Paper towels, like any other paper, are made from wood so its like cleaning your car's surfaces with a chunk of wood.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!