News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clamped springs

Started by Ghoste, December 03, 2009, 12:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know they're good for drag racing but are they bad for the street?  Does anyone run their street car with any of the clamps removed from the rear segment of leaves?

BBKNARF

I'm running the hemi springs but I don't think that makes a difference and I didn't have any problems in 3 seasons with no clamps on the back half.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Ghoste

Okay that's interesting then because I've been told a few times that having the back part unclamped is a bad idea on the street but none of the people who have told me this had ever actually done it.  You provide a new light.
Did you run extra clamps on the front segments?

BBKNARF

Yes..., I made home made clamps out of 2 strips of metal with nuts & bolts, and again I don't know if it makes a difference but my springs were new 3 years ago.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

firefighter3931

Shawn, i ran a set of SS springs right out of the box and they worked just fine with the MT drag radials. Unclamping the rears increases the "rise" at launch but if the car is hooking up well it's not necessary. On a car like yours i doubt that there's any value in unclamping the springs.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Oh God, it isn't for this car. :lol:  I have a set of the Hemi leaf springs (made by Eaton) and a threaded adjustable snubber so wheel hop from that 383 is the least of my worries.
I'm thinking ahead to another project.

mopar_nut_440_6

In my budget years, 25 years ago, this is what I had and did.

68 318 Charger
Installed a 440 with head work and 509 cam
Added a half leaf to the front of each side and extra clamps.
Removed the rear clamps.
Took off the front sway bar.
Drove it on the street as it was my daily driver.
Drag raced it every two weeks.
3.54 gears

The car worked well on the street and on the strip it hooked well. You could see the rear springs separate and suck the back down when running slicks. It ran 12.8's this way. I was used to the street manners and was 18 and stupid. I raced anybody, anywhere and with the power I was able to corner, at that time, very well as I had the torque to pull me out of the corner. Today with technolgy maybe it would not seem as good but if I built another car on a budget I would do this again.

Man those were some good times! Fortunately, technology has improved, my wages, and patience so I can hold out for the really good stuff!

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Ghoste

So you're saying you wouldn't do it the same way today?

mopar_nut_440_6

I will be doing it to my Duster this year when I put a 440 in it as it will be a budget build. For my Charger, it is a different story as I plan on keeping it and want to put some goodies into it so it will get over sized torsion bars and larger front and rear sway bars. I will  leave the rear springs alone as they are the factory RT springs and already work well plus I want the more stock look.

1968 Charger R/T 440 

Ghoste

Okay, so more about the look (and being satisifed with it as is) than anything to do with the ride or handling.  I get the part about doing it on a budget too and that raises a good point.  Accomplishing the same goals on an unlimited or less limited budget is another topic likely.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: Ghoste on December 17, 2009, 12:20:13 PM
Okay, so more about the look (and being satisifed with it as is) than anything to do with the ride or handling. 

I woudl like to keep the RT as close to stock as possible but also want to add the rears sway bar and do some handling upgrades as it will be driven on the highway. I may even try to autocross it a bit just to try something different. I would like the Charger to handle better and am willing to sacrifice some 1/4 mile ET time to achieve this goal.

I get the part about doing it on a budget too and that raises a good point.  Accomplishing the same goals on an unlimited or less limited budget is another topic likely.

Yes, a budget build on the Duster is my plan as I am broke! Another point is the two cars will have different purposes. The Duster will be about the strip so the leaf spring mods make more sense for that. Back in the day I had to use the crappy 318 Charger leaf springs so I did whatever I could to get it to hook.

1968 Charger R/T 440