News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

turbocharging

Started by c00nhunterjoe, October 31, 2009, 10:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

i have been thinking on this after we had an interesting project at work...... guy i work with has an 06-07 i think- dodge ram with a 4.7l engine in it. we took a stock turbo from 99 5.9 cummins and have made a tailpipe turbo kit out of it. the project really didnt take much work to function. making a collector to fit the pipes and rig up an oil pump for testing was easy.  for the earliest test to see if it would even work we literaly jammed the turbo on the tailpipe hangin off the side of the truck. it built 15 pounds of boost easily. his main concern will be tuning since it's fuel injected but the whole ordeal got me wondering abotu making a turbo kit for my charger.......... i can get turbos pretty easy and i got the tools to fab up my own piping........ opinions on if i should play the power adder game custom?  :popcrn:  :cheers:

motorcitydak

Well the MAP sensor should be able to detect the boost and adjust the timing and fuel accordingly, but I highy doubt that it would be able to compensate for an added 15psi. I think it could live just fine with 5 psi or so, unless he got a custom computer. If it had a distributor, Id say throw an MSD 6BTM box in there and see what it could do but with all the new speed density ECM's that control every aspect of the motor, everything would have to be done thru the factory ECM, just thru a modified one. Id suggest contacting KRC performance about the computer or B&G performance. BTW, never attempt to put a blower on an 06 or newer Hemi unless you first deactivate the MDS...
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

LeadfootBob

I'll get back to you once my build is up and running. '78 440, stock rebuild (going to tear it down and regap the rings) with a cam I haven't decided on yet, mildly ported 906's and a pair of T03/T04 hybrids. 300 maybe 350 horseys on the crank and then 14 pounds of boost, that should be enough for starters.
This should be interesting, more concerned about blowing up the rear and transmission with all the torque it'll put out.  :D
The thing that appeals to me about turboed v8's is you don't have to sit around waiting for the turbos to spool up, there's a lot of engine on the bottom to take up the slack.

Make SURE you can keep the AFR in check, things break very rapidly with boost involved... Which is why carbs seem like a crappy solution for turbocharging.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Cooter

I USED to be the biggest supporter of NOS(N20) there was around here. Bombed a many a 440 and small block. Loved the stuff.
When it was around $30/fill it was great now, It's $60/fill....

I'm learning more and more about Turbos and Superchargers as boost seems to be dare I say "Cheaper" in the end...

A Blown 440 with a stock Block has (According to The Supercharger Store) put out 848 HP with nothing more than a set of aluminum heads and a fat roller cam....I know a few of the 5.0 Guys that run HUGE turbos and have pretty good luck with them until they "Turn 'em up"....

Once you hit a certain level of HP and Torque, you seem to want to go faster and THEN is when blocks get spilt in half..

What I can't seem to get my head around is the 2JZ inline 6cyl. making 1000 HP DAILY DRIVEN...@ only 3.0 Liters. By those numbers a 7.3 liter 440 should be making 2500 HP DAILY DRIVEN....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

LeadfootBob

Quote from: Cooter on November 01, 2009, 09:18:03 PM
What I can't seem to get my head around is the 2JZ inline 6cyl. making 1000 HP DAILY DRIVEN...@ only 3.0 Liters. By those numbers a 7.3 liter 440 should be making 2500 HP DAILY DRIVEN....

Thing is, you don't have 1000hp until the boost gauge starts moving, unlike with a roots blower. The car can be very fuel efficient, sedate and forgiving until you nail it and reach, say, 3500 rpm... Then all HELL breaks loose!
What's scary about the supras is the drivetrain... Way into the eights with stock transmissions and rears? Talk about overengineering  :D

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61219.0 this thread is ample proof about how far the stock blocks CAN go, if you know how to tune and have a nice set of brass balls. Boost doesn't kill as quickly as revs do.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Rolling_Thunder

I  have been reading up quite a bit on turbos as of late - I would go with a positive displacement S/C for my Hemi but turbos are on my list of things to play with in the future...     I was thinking of doing a TT set up on my 318 but that is a long way off.

I am currently helping build a turbo set up for a friend's 2003 Lexus IS300 - the system is simple and allows for nice driving around town but added power at the track...    We went with a decent size turbo but nothing huge - he'll run about 8-9 psi and hope to make 400hp.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

kamkuda

You will wish to ensure that you have enough fuel system for your project.  I have seen the remains of a couple engines when they run lean.

As stated above, it is more diffcult to do with a carb but it can certainly be done.  It is hard to set up a crab design to run on vacuum and make it work on a presurized system.

FYI I am building a procharger wedge setup. I am going with an aftermarket efi system and 83 lb injectors
Boost is a good thing :icon_smile_big:

Rolling_Thunder

Boost is a good thing....    that's all I will be saying for now...     lets just say I might have psi in my future    :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

mopar_nut_440_6

Do it Coonhunter!

I picked up a set of TT headers and an engine plate and am going to do one on my Duster soon! Where are yo getting your turbos? I am looking for an inexpensive supplier, if there is one!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude