News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

64 Dodge Polara. What to look for

Started by NGC414, October 26, 2009, 08:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

I am going to an estate auction this weekend. Im mostly going to look for tools and car parts. There is a 64 polara roller listed in the inventory. It doesnt give any more of a description, I cant see the car untill the day of the auction. I was courious if these are worth anything, or what to look for to determine what options or engine it had.

moparguy01

if its a plum crazy purple 4 door run away screaming. that one was my high school car and it was the devil incarnate. Spent more time on jackstands than running and driving.

other than that the 2 doors are worth some good money. most had the standard crappy motors 318 poly's and i've seen some with 361s. Push button automatics are fun, also if it has a radio that is a desirable option, since most had a radio delete plate which I have found. thats what my car had.

Daytona R/T SE

Look for rust in the cowl.

These cars are prone to rusting in this area.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 26, 2009, 05:22:45 PM
Look for rust in the cowl.

These cars are prone to rusting in this area.

:yesnod:

Also - remember things like 1/4 panels are not available like they are for the later stuff...     cancer is a big deal on these cars - parts just are not there...     The trim would be a B**** to find - the more it has the better    :2thumbs:

Normal rust in front and rear window areas
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

72Charger400

I bought a 64 polara 2 door with a slant 6 255 about a year ago from the original owner. Parts are very hard to find for this car and expensive. For example the little front fender emblems are one year only and are around $400 for a new pair :o.Also 64 still used the early style 8 3/4 rears that had tapered axles and you need a tool to pull the brake drums. These are low production cars and are desirable to the right person. Most people don't know what I'm talking about when I say polara but those who do,tell me that it's a cool car and i should hold on to it. They make great drag cars because of weight distribution and the 63-64 polara's and fury's were the lightest b bodies ever made. If the car your looking at looks fairly complete then i say buy it otherwise you should buy a 4 door parts car also because it would be a lot cheaper than rounding up all the parts separately.
1972 Dodge Charger 400 C.i
1964 Dodge Polara

NGC414

Thanks for the input. At this point I still dont have any info or pictures of the car. I dont think I will actually see what shape it is in until Im at the auction. If its a decent 2 door roller, what do you think would be a ball park value?

68X426

I'll take a stab at it. Somebody will surely correct me, but .... :popcrn:

Maybe $5000 tops, if it's real original and cherry and was cared for and has a big block.

Another way to say it, if you would be proud to cruise in it on day one, then 5k. If not, then drop the price by $500 for each month of serious work needed. If you got to spend 10 months busting ass, it should be free.

If it's "used up" but real straight and no rust, maybe $1500. The more you spend up front is the less you get to spend later on. So usually it's the metal and glass that matters, since you likely will re-do the driveline, paint and interior somewhere in the future.

I for one think the 64 Polara is awesome. I would be tempted to over pay for the right one to build up. The nicest ones I see are worth 50 grand when done right. When recreated as a cop car they are intensely cool :drool5:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

NGC414

They finally posted a pic of it this morning. Its not a very good picture, but here it is:

68X426

Couple hundred dollars? :-\ 

It would certainly be a long term project. Do you need one?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

PocketThunder

Looks like someones old race car.  If thats the case maybe it wasnt driven in the winter then and therefor the rust would be minimal.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

NGC414

Im not looking for another project, Im going to the auction to get tools and maybe some parts for my 68 charger project. I just wanted to have an idea of what it might be worth. If it doesnt get bid up very high I might be temted to bid on it. The auction is tomorrow, I will post up what it brings.

NGC414

I just got back from the auction. It was 100% rust free and straight. Just a roller shell with no trim. It sold for $2750 (I did not bid on it).

68X426

Wow. Good for them selling grandpa's special for top dollar.

Hopefully we will get to see a finished product in 2 years and 60k, say in Plum Crazy, white interior, Hemi.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

greenpigs

I would prefer a RAMCHARGER tribute or a little later time frame some candy apple with lace.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free