News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

over heating or a bad guage??

Started by mpdlawdog, June 29, 2011, 01:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

If you haven't ever flushed or rodded the radiator, I would do it for peace-of-mind that you know the radiator's ok. But, you still need to worry about the debris in the block and/or heater core. The heater core can easily be isolated from the cooling system initially for troubleshooting purposes (run a hose from one nipple to the next on the water pump housing). I would also get a Mopar sending unit, I don't trust aftermarket units. I had a similar problem in my former '69 Charger 500. After many different sending units from my local auto parts store, I went and got one from MaMopar. Problem solved for me. Also, I always use a cooking round thermometer (range to at least 550 degrees). I fire up the motor and get the coolant hot/flowing with the radiator cap off. I insert the thermometer in the filler hole and check the temperature against what's showing on the gauge..

Good luck,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Steve P.

I haven't read anything here that makes me believe your engine is overheating. (Unless I missed something)!!
Your factory gauges could be reading way off as earlier noted. That said, DON'T TRUST THEM.. Buy an aftermarket MANUAL gauge and ((( BEFORE ))) installing it, test it in a pot of water on your stove with a KNOWN accurate thermometer. Do not let the bulb, (on the engine end of the assembly), touch the bottom of the pot or pan. Use a coat hanger or string to hold the bulb off the bottom of the pan. Add water to the pan and hang a thermometer in the same manor. Not touching the bottom of the pan. Turn on the burner and watch both the known good thermometer and the new gauge. They should read pretty close to at least 250*. If so, install the new gauge and go for a ride. This is the first step of KNOWING what you are working with.

NOTE: This test procedure is the same for testing thermostats and should be used every time a stat is replaced or in question. This can save many empty pockets and grey hairs in the long run....

:Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mpdlawdog

Quote from: Steve P. on July 07, 2011, 01:32:34 PM
I haven't read anything here that makes me believe your engine is overheating. (Unless I missed something)!!
Your factory gauges could be reading way off as earlier noted. That said, DON'T TRUST THEM.. Buy an aftermarket MANUAL gauge and ((( BEFORE ))) installing it, test it in a pot of water on your stove with a KNOWN accurate thermometer. Do not let the bulb, (on the engine end of the assembly), touch the bottom of the pot or pan. Use a coat hanger or string to hold the bulb off the bottom of the pan. Add water to the pan and hang a thermometer in the same manor. Not touching the bottom of the pan. Turn on the burner and watch both the known good thermometer and the new gauge. They should read pretty close to at least 250*. If so, install the new gauge and go for a ride. This is the first step of KNOWING what you are working with.

NOTE: This test procedure is the same for testing thermostats and should be used every time a stat is replaced or in question. This can save many empty pockets and grey hairs in the long run....

:Twocents:
thanks for the advise...its running up to the "2" on 230 in the factory guage...you can hear it bubbling in the hoses when I shut it off...I did the test you suggested when I replaced the thermostat yesterday....I am going to look for a manual guage right now and flush the radiator again....
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Steve P.

You can sometimes hear a little bubbling at the T-STAT housing coming from the bleed port in some t-stats... The old style with the loose rivet even use to rattle!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

An infrared heat gun is a valuable tool when diagnosing heat problems.....that would be my first purchase.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs