News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kcederwall08's 68 pro-touring build

Started by kcederwall08, October 31, 2009, 05:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcederwall08

I've been building this car for a while now, so I figured it was time I made a build thread for my car. Sorry for the amount of pictures, but I have a ton, and these are only some of them :P

This whole process all began about 3 or 4 years ago, when I got this car from a family member for cheap. I didn't really have any goals for the car, so I just started working on the car and getting it a little bit restored.
So here was the car when I got it after sitting for 20 or so years without being run.

I started out by doing random stuff to get it to run, like new ignition, starter, and fuel system. I finally got it to run the first time.
After that I got the transmission redone by a professional since I don't want to even touch anything related to the transmission. After that I drove the car somewhat regularly and only replaced little things to make it more reliable.

Then I finally decided to rebuild the engine and make something of the car. At this point I had sort of decided that I wanted to go in the direction of pro-touring. So I decided to take the stock 383 cubic inch motor and stroke it out to about 438 cubic inches. I could have done a 440 motor swap for about the same price, but I kind of wanted to keep the original motor in it, and the 383 block is lighter than the block I would swap it with. So I pulled the greasy motor and cleaned the engine bay out.

the old motor:

Installing the new motor:

New motor almost complete:

I got the motor in and got it running pretty decently, and then I lowered the car a ton. I was bottoming out on my oil pan a ton, so I decided to get one a little more low profile. Then I lowered it some more.

The motor SHOULD be making around 400 horsepower at the crank and more than that in torque.
It looked decent as is, but I really wanted it to look good and grip better so I got some wheels
I scored some mint wheels for a good price
They're DPE R05's 18x9 in front and 18x10 in the rear all 0 offset.

Then went to a good guys show and got featured in the magazine. I also picked up a front spoiler there, and installed it a little later. It looks way better with it on and without the "bumperettes" and license plate.

Then I lowered it some more, and got the front height pretty much perfect. Bad alignment and camber killed my set of front tires.

So I picked up some adjustable upper control arms and new shocks to get the camber under control (excuse the dirtyness of the wheel wells)

I then unfortunately hit a huge concrete "pole" in a parking garage, and made a nice crease in the rear quarter panel. Basically I tried to go down a really skinny ramp in a parking garage, and turned in a little shallow, so I caught the back end on the pole. I had the dent pulled as best as I could without having to get it primered, and I used some touchup paint for the scratches. It doesn't look half bad now. It will eventually get fixed when I paint the whole car.

Then I took it auto crossing with the stock wheels in front. It did as well as I suspected, which was pretty bad: Body roll and under steer all over the place.  Also the power steering quit my second run and stayed bad the rest of the day. So I will eventually need a new steering box most likely since the pump has already been replaced.
(you can see the damage repair in the second picture)

Then I got a new differential. I went from a 2.76 ratio open, to a 3.55 ratio LSD sure-grip diff. Installed it and made the rear look nice and pretty again with some paint. The diff makes it 100x times faster but the freeway speeds are pretty bad.

Then overheating issues came up so I bought fans and water pumps, and thermostats, and additives, and nothing really got it much better. I'm still fighting it, but I am able to drive it again, so it's not too bad. Now it looks pretty much like this:

some future plans are:
Sway bars f/r
Steering box, probably a firm feel stage 2 or 3
Lower rear end about 3"
New rear springs
Maybe custom make a front spoiler or under tray w/diffuser (a big maybe)
New exhaust headers
Disc brake conversion
Random interior stuff to make it look nice

Super future plans are:
Manual swap
(New) new motor, but not really sure what type yet, A srt10 twin turbo sounds good (I wish)
New front suspension, maybe coil-overs or just stiffer t-bars
Chassis stiffening

I've left out a lot, and the exact order might be messed up, but whatever. I'll probably keep updating this thread as I go to keep you guys in the loop. This car is practically daily driven by the way, so progress might be a bit slow at times.

teamroth

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Brock Samson

skip68

:2thumbs:    Nice ride.   pics  pics   pics    :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

john.v

jaak

BrianShaughnessy

Nice.     Lotta balls to go autocrossing with old drum brakes and skiinnies on steelies!   :cheers:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Charger440RDN

aone415

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

kcederwall08

Thanks for the comments guys!

as requested MORE PICTURES!!!!

So heres what my tires looked like with a bad alignment and a ton of negative camber. They were down to the metal chords when they were removed, but this picture doesn't show it.

and here is the new 3.55 axle all painted and ready to go in.

Rolling_Thunder

Damn man - I love those wheels but HOLY SH!T they are expensive!    :-\   

PS - I assume you got her painted sometime after you got it...    what color is it ? 

Love the blue with white top combo    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

kcederwall08

yes the wheels are very expensive new, but i got them "used", but they had never been put on a car. I got very lucky

The paint is actually the stock LL1 paint job, I haven't gotten it resprayed or anything. I just used some rubbing compound and a ton of wax. It will be painted some day though.

speedfreak68

That is a realllllly good looking car!!!!   :drool5:  :2thumbs:

Charger440RDN

Original paint???!!! :o The paint looks like it just rolled off the assembly line!! This car may be worth more as a survivor with original paint than if you get it painted.
A lot of car shows now have survivor categories. How many unrestored chargers are left that look this good?  Remember, it's only original once!  :yesnod:

8WHEELER

Congrats, sweeeet looking 68, so glad you left the color combo ''so far'' I love these cars with
white vinyl tops, and blue is my favorate color, and LL1 is close to a blue.

I would love to run through a course like that, it must be a blast   :yesnod: :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

autodynamics

real nice!!!!  :cheers: the cars looks on its way to be pro toured.... your signature front spoiler looks great..i would change all that stuff on your list asap and get this thing feeling solid. i would add subframes/rad support/brakes sway bars, rear leafs, different shocks those kyb are junk. use the edelbrock great product for the money. firm feel box fast ratio pitman idler, 11/16 tie rod ends, drop spindles from magnumforce to get your geometry back to normal after the drop...shoot me an email if you have any questions....Pete 

elanmars

Quote from: autodynamics on November 06, 2009, 08:43:16 AM
i would add subframes/rad support/brakes sway bars, rear leafs, different shocks those kyb are junk. use the edelbrock great product for the money. firm feel box fast ratio pitman idler, 11/16 tie rod ends, drop spindles from magnumforce to get your geometry back to normal after the drop...

any recommendations for where to get these, as well as the best brands? brands to stay away from?

as for kcedarwall, love your Charger and the pics are great!! keep taking more and posting more!!  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

autodynamics

Suspension upgrades I got from firm feel tie rod ends fast ratio pit man arm mangnumforce drop spindles

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 31, 2009, 10:38:11 PM
Original paint???!!! :o The paint looks like it just rolled off the assembly line!! This car may be worth more as a survivor with original paint than if you get it painted.
A lot of car shows now have survivor categories. How many unrestored chargers are left that look this good?  Remember, it's only original once!  :yesnod:

Another Turquoise with white vinyl top! Nice combo. Why does it seem like I a lot of this combo are popping up?
I'm with the rest on that paint, WOW - original. Great job on the elbow grease.  :2thumbs:

I, however think you need to move (correct your address) or sell me the car an get a 70!  :D
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

autodynamics

tan top

:coolgleamA:  looking 68  , & original paint :coolgleamA:  , like idea of the  upper control arms  , looks an easy way to adjust them  :scratchchin:

great stuff , keep the pictures comming :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

kcederwall08

Quote from: autodynamics on November 06, 2009, 08:43:16 AM
real nice!!!!  :cheers: the cars looks on its way to be pro toured.... your signature front spoiler looks great..i would change all that stuff on your list asap and get this thing feeling solid. i would add subframes/rad support/brakes sway bars, rear leafs, different shocks those kyb are junk. use the edelbrock great product for the money. firm feel box fast ratio pitman idler, 11/16 tie rod ends, drop spindles from magnumforce to get your geometry back to normal after the drop...shoot me an email if you have any questions....Pete 

Yeah I agree with you on most of that stuff. I will probably end up adding chassis stiffening to the list, especially now that I have access to a welder. Rear springs i have noticed are way too soft, so that will be done too. But I think I'm gonna stay with the KYB's for now just because its not really worth my money at the moment. I need to work on making this car a little more reliable before I do more upgrades. Also i'm a broke college student at the moment haha.

As for the paint, the pictures make it look much better, and i like the color combo. If I ever do paint it, I will either keep it the stock color or do a dark gunmetal/grey paint.

autodynamics

the rear springs i did were from detroit eaton 2"drop real nice...college student...lol trust me dump the shocks sell them to someone here that likes them those shocks are junk. 4for $100 get the edelbrock there about $300.00 world of a differnce.... i think you should shave the drip rals paint it black with a red stripe in the tail....ive seen that before and looks nice

Cole317

That is an amazing charger. One of my favorites!  :2thumbs: