News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air /fuel ratio guage

Started by flyinlow, October 31, 2009, 10:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I was considering installing an air fuel ratio monitor.

Was looking at the Edelbrook narrow band .

Any recommendations?

Do they take awhile to warm up?

Can the choke cause the o2 sensor to fowl ?

ChgrSteve67

If you are going to install one go with a wide band.

This is the one I installed in my Charger
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/INN-3795/
I put the gauge in the glove box so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

My sensor takes about 30 seconds to warm up and have never had a problem with the sensor fouling.

I extended the length of the sensor wires so the control box could be installed behind the dash and not in the engine compartment.

This model is somewhat programable and has outputs so you can plug it into your computer and record the O2 reading as your going down the road.

Definately helped me adjust my carb and figuring out if I'm running a rich or lean condition as well as setting my chokes AFR.

Any muffler shop can install the O2 bung for you.

Beer

I agree, do not waste your time with a narrow band sensor.  I am running a LC-1 in my Vette (inputs into a data logger), a Wideband is the best thing for tuning and spotting potential issues with fuel system.  

The LC-2 you can get add ons and log AFR vs Rpm.

The LC-1 has a rep for being more difficult to install Grounds are pretty sensitive.

An another alternative is http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=67

You can download the instruction sets to see how hard the hookup is from the manufacture sites.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Charger72SE

at what speed/rpm is it best to take the a/f measurement to tune the carb?

I'm assuming the a/f measurement will vary at idle/speed but maybe not

thanks!

ChgrSteve67

there is no one best speed, you will want to adjust for multiple conditions.

Choke
Idle
Cruise
Wide open throttle
and of course
Launch

the Choke has an adjustment
Adjustments on the front of the carb for Idle
IF you get a carb kit with jets and rods they will adjust for Cruise and power.
And there is also a pump accelerator adjustment.

Best to get a manual for your carb.

Also you can adjust your distributor curve for how fast you want to bring in your timing and the advance stop.

Charger72SE

all good points!

but I was wondering what a/f reading to use to adjust the a/f mixture screws on the carb

at 55 mph crusing speed?  at fast idle after start up?  at curb idle after warm up?  at 35 mph?  etc

thanks very much, I bought an a/f guage but haven't used it yet

Beer

Generally,

You tune for 14.7 for idle/cruising/low rpm, and when Wide Open Throttle the upper 12's.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Charger72SE