News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started by Lizey, October 25, 2009, 07:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizey

what years was the 440 available and in what cars during what years??
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

A383Wing

440 started in 1966 in the "C" bodys...then in 67, went to the "B" bodys....in 69, a few went into "A" body Darts & Barracudas from the factory...I don't have an exact date when the motor run ended...

John_Kunkel

'78 was the official last year for the 440 but some motorhome engines are dated '79.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

A little more info here for FYI...The typical "Steel crank" engines are the norm when it comes to prices being high. The cast crank Engines began around 1973-78 or so, with SOME "HP" Engines finding there way into Police and heavy duty Apps with Steel cranks and Heavy SIX PACK rods...

The "best" years according to popular demand, seems to be the 1966-'70 engines for their "Good" compression..To me, this is a moot point as the first thing your gonna do is replace the pistons in a "Good" rebuild anyway...The cast crank enigne blocks were deemed by Chrysler Not to be able to be bored over any more than about .020, but I've seen sonic checked 1977 440 Block check out thicker than a 1968 "HP" Block so that's not nessesarily the case...What kills me is the fact that I have had three late seventies 454 Chebby engines here that were produced all the way up to the late 90's early 2000 bring $1500-$2000 complete, but a Rarer 1967-'72 "HP" 440 Chrysler won't sell @ $1000 complete, not locked up....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: Cooter on October 28, 2009, 11:48:51 AM
A little more info here for FYI...The typical "Steel crank" engines are the norm when it comes to prices being high. The cast crank Engines began around 1973-78 or so, with SOME "HP" Engines finding there way into Police and heavy duty Apps with Steel cranks and Heavy SIX PACK rods...

The "best" years according to popular demand, seems to be the 1966-'70 engines for their "Good" compression..To me, this is a moot point as the first thing your gonna do is replace the pistons in a "Good" rebuild anyway...The cast crank enigne blocks were deemed by Chrysler Not to be able to be bored over any more than about .020, but I've seen sonic checked 1977 440 Block check out thicker than a 1968 "HP" Block so that's not nessesarily the case...What kills me is the fact that I have had three late seventies 454 Chebby engines here that were produced all the way up to the late 90's early 2000 bring $1500-$2000 complete, but a Rarer 1967-'72 "HP" 440 Chrysler won't sell @ $1000 complete, not locked up....

If I remember well, and the older I get the less I retain, I read in a mopar magazine that all 440's came with steel cranks from '67-'69.  Outside of that, the HP's were the only ones with steel.  Does that seem correct to you?
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Chatt69chgr

I believe steel crank up to 71 and early 72.  440 source has a link to an article where a sample of 440 blocks were sonic tested and the myth about not being able to bore later blocks it just that----a myth.  What they did find is the 75-1/2 to 78 blocks used cast iron that was 10% softer than the earlier blocks. I believe they started putting a strengthening rib in the side of the blocks in 68 or 69.  Not sure this is too important.  The shape of the water jacket holes in the deck changed around 72 or 73 from a round hole to a figure 8 hole.  Some think the figure 8 hole lets more cooling water through.  The thrust bearing on the crank was changed to a larger thrust bearing somewhere in the early 70's.  One big change was the mtg ears on the passenger side were made thicker on later blocks.  This ear gets broken 1.2 off frequently.  I've heard you can use a nickel welding rod and by heating the area with a torch, successfully weld a replacement ear on.  I wonder if anyone here has done that.  You can buy a complete rotating assembly for around $1500 from mancini that uses Eagle crank and rods and diamond pistons.  Then you can use that later block, toss the crank, rods, etc and have a real nice engine.  As far as the block goes, the HP doesn't mean anything.  Just designates heavier rods, pistons, and I think different cam.  The Mancini stuff is much higher quality than the OEM Mopar stuff and has a lower rotating mass since the parts weigh less.  This means less stress on the rotating assembly and faster reving engine.  If you were going to use the stock heads, then the 452's would be the best choice since they had induction hardened valve seats.  They are available cheap off 400 engines.