News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proper position for vega plug Can someone measure theirs?

Started by Charger-Bodie, October 28, 2009, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

I have my plug rough fit and I wondering if I could get someone to measure from the middle of the top of the backglass opening to the same point on the windshield ,so I know Ive got it high enough in the opening?  Thanks Guys.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

PocketThunder

Does a measurement from my car help or does it need to be from a clone because of the arc of the opening? 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Blown70

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 28, 2009, 12:57:31 PM
Does a measurement from my car help or does it need to be from a clone because of the arc of the opening? 

Sure a original 500 would do..... :nana:

richRTSE

I just checked my 500 and have 66-1/4". If it helps, I also measured from the bottom of the rear glass down to the edge by the trunk and got 12-3/4".

Charger-Bodie

I was actually kind of wanting it to be from one with a Vega hatch,so I know that its the same and that the interior trim worked out good and all that jazz.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Blown70

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 28, 2009, 02:06:18 PM
I was actually kind of wanting it to be from one with a Vega hatch,so I know that its the same and that the interior trim worked out good and all that jazz.

I know it was suggested to me do do the trunk first.... but I am sure larry (hotrod98) can chime in here..... I know his was 3-4" down from the top of the opening and then cut the bottom off the vega hatch and but that in to close it out.... he also suggested to notch the sail pannel to let the hatch sit down in slightly.... very slightly.

Tom

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Blown70 on October 28, 2009, 02:11:05 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 28, 2009, 02:06:18 PM

I know it was suggested to me do do the trunk first.... but I am sure larry (hotrod98) can chime in here..... I know his was 3-4" down from the top of the opening and then cut the bottom off the vega hatch and but that in to close it out.... he also suggested to notch the sail pannel to let the hatch sit down in slightly.... very slightly.

Tom

Im definatly going to do the deck lid first. I just want to be sure to have the opening where it belongs.

Blown70

hotrod98

It's been a while since I did mine and I tend to forget stuff. What I did was place the plug in the back glass opening and then slid it up and down until the transition from the roof to the plug looked right. You can take a steel ruler and lay it over the gap from the roof to the plug. I think it will make sense as soon as you do it. There should be about a two inch gap when it's correct. I then take a piece of sheet metal and place it under the gap and trace it out. Makes a perfect piece to fill the gap. I usually use a piece of scrap from the bottom of the plug.
Definitely have your deck lid done and in place before you do any cutting on the bottom edge of the plug. There's a hundred different ways to do it. I made 3/4" angle iron templates to make the bends match the deck lid. Measure about a hundred times before making the cuts.
I suggest that you not weld anything in until you have absolutely everything where you want it. I use clecos and self drilling screws to hold stuff in place and sometimes small tack welds where needed. It's strange how when you put a part in it somehow affects the part next to it. You may have to make several small adjustments as you go.
We want pics.... ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

UFO

When this car was done we used a measurement of 66 3/16.That's from the middle of the windshield to top of glass frame.
I don't recall him having a problem with the headliner.

Charger-Bodie

hotrod98

Mine measures 66 15/16. They do vary a little and I haven't had the headliner installed yet.

Charles Addams

PocketThunder

My former C500 car measures 66-1/16".   :Twocents:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona Guy

The Vega is not exact as the original - so in my experience in the fool'em game - measure from the trunk to the bottom of the window, because that is what will make it look more original.

hotrod98

The other thing to remember is that the frame around the glass on a vega plug is shaped different than the daytona plug. If I had raised my vega plug up to where the glass was the same as a daytona, the transition wouldn't have looked as smooth as it should.
Bottom line...the vega plug just doesn't fit in like a daytona plug...period. Just put it where it looks good and weld it in.
The top edge of my vega glass is 3/4 inches lower than a daytona and the distance between the bottom of the glass and the trunk opening is 1 3/4 inches less than a daytona at 11". Next time I install one, I'll place it at the correct height and see if I can make it work. 
As far as I'm concerned, mine looks fine the way that it is.
I kind of thought that it looked too high when I first looked at it after welding it in and the fact is it's 3/4" lower than a real Daytona.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

I wish we would have had the money to put the plug in when we built our car...back in the mid-90's I bet Vega plugs were plentiful....

Oh well...too late now....

Rolling_Thunder

i have a question about the vega plug...    why dont people cut out the window opening and flip it so it looks more like a stock Daytona ? I know it is quite a bit more work but if people are doing so much fab work anyway - why not ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hotrod98

The vega glass is much wider at the bottom than it is at the top. Seems like it's a couple of inches wider at the bottom if I remember correctly.
Wouldn't fit the opening at all.

Charles Addams