News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Bumpers - anyone tried them?

Started by 68n70, September 26, 2009, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68n70

I see The Paddock, among others, lists new front and rear bumpers in their catalog.  Seem a bit pricey, but are new.  Anyone installed these and if so how did they fit/look??  (For that matter, what's a bumper rechrome cost these days?)
Just curious, as my dull bumpers are wearing on me more and more and I'm thinking about a winter project.... 

greenpigs

Dunno. I am going to put fiberglass ones on mine. They are 180 each and they have way better chrome  paint than in the past.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

jaak

From what I hear, the front ones fit pretty good...the rears don't. I have read alot of complaints about the rears, and alot of folks send them back and have there originals re-chromed.
I don't know about most places, but here in North Alabama I was quoted $475 (each) to rechrome my bumpers on my '69. But alot of Chroming vendors (at car shows,etc.) will usually sell you a re-chromed one for 200-300 bucks and you give them your core.

Jason

68n70

$475 YOUCH!
Been a while since I last chromed a bumper...1979 to be exact.  Chromed a '72 Torino rear bumper for $35.  That included straightening out the telephone pole hit I put on it!
Hmmmm....new or rechrome, that is the question!

y3chargerrt

I asked Pauls Chrome at Carlisle for a price on rechroming my rear bumpers and bumperettes. They say around $800! I mean I love their work and such but I don't think so.

jaak

Quote from: 68n70 on September 27, 2009, 07:27:11 AM
$475 YOUCH!
Been a while since I last chromed a bumper...1979 to be exact.  Chromed a '72 Torino rear bumper for $35.  That included straightening out the telephone pole hit I put on it!
Hmmmm....new or rechrome, that is the question!

Yeah, that's $475 each! That would be $950 a set (I think that included the bumper guards). A set of repo's on eBay is $590 + $50 to ship, thats quit a bit cheaper, but just afraid of the repo's from what I've heard/read.

Jason

NHCharger

Got a front and rear for my 3rd gen rechromed from Tri State for around $300.00 each at Carlisle 3 years ago.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Rolling_Thunder

I got quoted $2200 to do my front and rear bumpers...        but it was for black chrome...      Looks like regular chrome it is...    about $250 a piece here in so Cal...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

green69rt

Quote from: 68n70 on September 26, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
I see The Paddock, among others, lists new front and rear bumpers in their catalog.  Seem a bit pricey, but are new.  Anyone installed these and if so how did they fit/look??  (For that matter, what's a bumper rechrome cost these days?)
Just curious, as my dull bumpers are wearing on me more and more and I'm thinking about a winter project.... 
Had my rear bumper rechromed for $300.  It was an original unit from Y1 and was preety bad.  They also straightened it because it came bent.  It looks great now and fits much better but still not as well as I want.  I've heard similiar stories from others.  Bottom line, see if you can find an old one and go from there.

68n70

Been away for a few days...thanks for the replies, guys!!!

Back N Black

I have repo bumpers on my car and have on issues with the fit and finish..... :Twocents:

gtx6970

originals are heavier and thicker - thus better

jaak

Quote from: Back N Black on October 06, 2009, 12:06:32 PM
I have repo bumpers on my car and have on issues with the fit and finish..... :Twocents:

Thats good to know, like I said, I haven't tried them yet, but have heard others remarks on them. How long have you had them? I've also heard they were real nice when they started making them, but as the tooling wears, they are starting to be flawed. Just wondering because Im real intrested in a set myself...would be alot cheaper than rechroming (around here anyways).

Jason

TylerCharger69

Yeah...the new repops seem a lot lighter and thinner....imo

Belgium R/T -68

I have bought a pair from the Paddock (think it's Goodmark). Have mounted the rear one and fits and looks great. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

68n70

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

qwick68

Got mine from bumper boys out in CA....rechromed originals very nice paid about 330 each but thats was about 10 years ago....still look great!
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise