News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice on buying a Ramcharger?

Started by Troy, October 28, 2009, 01:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I've found a 1989 Ramcharger 4x4 locally that isn't all rusted out or beat to death. My roommate had one a while back which I drove a few times but it basically deteriorated back into the elements in the yard. I thought it was a nice ride but was either too big or too small for what I needed at the time (and it was falling apart). What should I look for in a Ramcharger and what should I avoid? How expensive are parts? It has a 360 which I'm slightly familiar with (not a Magnum). I believe it's an auto. What sort up upgrades are possible/common?

Current situation:
I sold my little pickup (Tacoma) a while back so I've had to haul grungy/greasy/rusty/sharp objects around inside my Tahoe (with leather interior no less). It's also impossible to get a complete big block engine in the back with the lift up door. I bought the Tahoe to replace my Cummins Ram 3500 and Suburban (also sold) for towing duties but, because of the cost, I also use it for daily driving. I heard a lot of negatives about the short wheelbase of the Ramcharger when it comes to towing but, these days, I rarely move a finished car (usually shells with most of the heavy stuff removed), my trailer is really light with good brakes, and I have a nice weight distributing hitch. I don't usually tow my drivable cars. If the Ramcharger can handle towing safely I'd consider selling off the Tahoe for a car that gets better mileage (preferably a cheaper car). Even if I don't sell the Tahoe I'd really like to have something to haul parts so I don't tear it up.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

i have had 3 ram chargers and loved them all ,  rust is the major problem .  Never had any drive train issues .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

captnsim

CAD system for the 4wd is prone to sticking. The taper into the axle spline wears causing the sliding collar that locks the front axle to stick. Some times in 4wd, some times in 2wd.  
Avoid 70ish full time 4wd's as the front axle nut was prone to stripping. Which caused it to "pop" off...and as this also holds the wheel bearing together, usually your wheel would pop off too. I've had this happen to me...it's not good.
I like the older ones with the full removable roof.

moparstuart

Quote from: captnsim on October 28, 2009, 02:57:04 PM
CAD system for the 4wd is prone to sticking. The taper into the axle spline wears causing the sliding collar that locks the front axle to stick. Some times in 4wd, some times in 2wd.  
Avoid 70ish full time 4wd's as the front axle nut was prone to stripping. Which caused it to "pop" off...and as this also holds the wheel bearing together, usually your wheel would pop off too. I've had this happen to me...it's not good.
I like the older ones with the full removable roof.

my first vehicle was 77 with the removable top , what a blast at 16 .   

Todd Wilson

I got a rear door if you need it!    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

moparjohn

I also had 2, great vehicles, over the top in strenght for it's size, I added a partail leaf to the rear spring pack, it leveled out the ride hight and added some tow stability, NEVER had any driveline problems, did have some front axle rebuild expenses, the interiors are not "luxury" but hold up well and can have most major options, I got some rust in it's 9th year at 170k miles, rear wheelwell openings and tailgate area.  They jump real good!! haul alot, have a comfy back seat (once you are in there) ...........why did I sell mine...damn
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

chargerboy69

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

greenpigs

Brother inlaw has one. Rusty as to be expected for ohio but he hasnt blown it up yet. He has had it over a year so they got to be tough. Main thing is rust IMHO.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

TruckDriver

I have owned a '79 Plymouth Trailduster (4x4), a '86 (2 wheel drive), a '87 and a '89 (4x4) Ramchargers. I loved them. Keep a eye out for rust that develops in the rocker panels and rear quarters.

If that one doesnt have the deep cup holders in the console, find one out of a '91-'93 model. They made those deep, so you can actually put something in them. 360s are awsome engines, make good power. And if you need parts, EXCEPT for the front fenders, a lot of stuff off the pickups with work. The fenders are tapered a little different and will not fit right (I learned that from experiance).
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

danmc77

I had an 89 and swapped in an LA 360 motor.  Also had a lift and rebuilt prtty much everything on the car.  Great truck.  However, if you'r looking for fuel economy, you're looking in the wrong direction.  That 360 will kill you on milage - the Ramchargers are notorious for that.  huge vehichle + 360 = poor gas milage.  Granted, my 360 was modified, but I was filling a 35 gallon gas tank once a week (at the time it was over $100 each tank), and I only have an 35 minute round trip commute to work every day.

Bottom line, I love them, and would get another if the price was right, but in all honesty, you won;t be happy w/ the economy compared toa late-model direct port fuel injected vehichle.  In fact, now that I just typed that, I don;t think the 360's had the throttle body fuel injection 'til '90, so I think the 360 would be carborated that year.

You can add dual exhaust, performance carb, intake, cam, etc.  It's an LA block, so pretty much the same mods you can do to any small block muscle car engine.  I also swapped in a 518 overdrive tranny to conserve fuel - that's pretty involved though, and didn;t have as much an impact as I had hoped.

BTW, you CAN fit big engines in the back with the seat down - I actually had a 5.9 Cummins Deisel on a small pallet in the back.  So, you most certainly can get a BB v8 back there.  I had the stock rubber mat in the back half of the truck rather than the carpet - best idea ever - don;t have to worry about stains or oil spills or anything.

I wound up selling mine for $3500 2 years ago - it sold in less than 24 hours on forabodiesonly.com - guess I should have asked for more $$.

Troy

Thanks captnsim. I'll be sure to check the 4WD stuff.

Quote from: chargerboy69 on October 29, 2009, 07:44:08 AM
Hard to find one this clean.  And a old Nevada Highway Patrol vehicle.  Very cool.  :2thumbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-92-Dodge-Ramcharger-Nevada-Highway-Patrol-NHP_W0QQitemZ330370929488QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4ceba45350
Saw that last night - although it comes with warnings about it NOT being something you can drive all the time. It's also much more expensive than the one I'm looking at and all the way across the country.

Wi. Charger Guy: Good to know about the fenders. I talked to the owner last night and it does have rust in both rocker and in one front fender.

danmc77: My Suburban got 10 mpg loaded or not. If I get this truck it is only to tow - not to drive all the time (except in the one or two snow storms we get in a year). I was just saying that I would be able to sell the Tahoe which I drive every day and get a small(er) car to drive to work. I just can't do completely without a tow vehicle. If I could find one like yours for that price I'd own it already. I'd have thought an A518 would have had a bigger impact. I do have a takeout 5.7 Hemi though...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

I owned an 85 Ram pickup if that counts. Never had any trouble with it other than on the initial test drive the thing was wandering around like a drunken sailor. After I bought it I was told they and the Ramchargers were known for the stock steering shaft assemblies wearing out rather quickly. Replaced mine with a good aftermarket unit and it worked fine ever since. By brother in law owns the truck now and it's still in great shape.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I have a 1993 Dodge RamCharger.  It is a PE LE, so police edition and limited edition.  Has NO OPTIONS.  Manual Windows, locks, etc.... It is in bad shape now, rust has killed the body.  But I LOVE THE TRUCK.  The seats I put in from a actual LE are great.  There is plenty of room.  With no console I could actually sorta walk around.  It pulled my 71 Challenger with big block with no issues.

I am looking for a replacement right now.  But I will still drive it this winter once I fix the floor... and the exhaust coming inside issue.....

TruckDriver

When I had my '86 yet, I pulled my '69 Charger I had at the time with no problems either. The 360 4bbl is awsome for pulling. And yea, 10mph empty or loaded. If you find a old Dodge conversion van with the captians seat still in it in good shape, they will bolt right onto the factory Ramcharger seat bases. I never did it, but I have seen it done a few times.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on October 29, 2009, 09:30:19 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 28, 2009, 08:01:15 PM
I got a rear door if you need it!    :icon_smile_big:

Todd

bwhahahahahahaha  :rofl:

I'll make you a good deal!!!!!!!!!!     :icon_smile_big:

Todd

moparstuart

I have a nice 87 white one here for parts , it's a 2wd