News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad Juju

Started by twodko, October 25, 2009, 04:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Drove the Charger yesterday to put some gas in it. The grill assembly has been removed preping for paint. A nylon strap & buckle are holding the hood down..................or WERE holding the hood down! No damage to the roof or windshield just my wallet.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

aone415

DAMN... hopefully your body guys can fix the hood... sorry for the setback

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

bull

At least now you can get to that hidden rust. :2thumbs:

twodko

Thanks. We got off the road without anything else happening thankfully. I've got feelers out for another hood in my area but if not it'll be AMD. Both rear corners bent up 90 degrees and are pretty much toast, the hinges are OK so I caught a break there.

On a happier subject, I'll post some pictures of the resto we began 4 months ago. Nothing like Per and a lot others but fun anyway.

Tom

jaak

Man that sucks, but atleast another hood isn't too hard to find. Just glad you wasnt hurt or anymore damage was done.

Jason

Cooter

Been there, done that....And yep, it sucked just as bad for me as well....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

:icon_smile_blackeye:  ouch !!   if there is any good in whats happened its only the hood thats wrecked , & hinges maybe :scratchchin:  :popcrn:  could of been much worse
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

LeadfootBob

Under the circumstances... Lucky bastard!   :eek2:
What is it with mopars and hoods flying open? Had a '77 Volare, got it cheap because the previous owner was driving down the freeway one day and the hood popped open, tore up the metal all the way to the windshield and flattened against it. He managed to stop without hitting anything as well.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

FLG

OUCH!!!

Ive seen hoods not only open but fold back and fly right off  :yesnod:

You got off easy.

b5blue

BrianShaughnessy

A former co-worker of mine got his Mudstain all finished and went to his first car show a few years back.   Didn't slam the hood just right and it flew open on the way home... had to call the insurance company and go back to the bodyshop.

At least you didn't have it painted already...

AMD hoods are very nice  :2thumbs: 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Tilar

Ouch!  :icon_smile_blackeye: Man that made me cringe. What a shame, that looked like a nice hood.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

twodko

Thanks to all of you for feeling my pain. My wife and I were VERY lucky indeed. We were on a rural road a couple miles from home going maybe 30-35 mph. Bless my wife's heart, she was calm as can be and guided us off the road. I was able to bend the hood enough to get it back down and tied it off with my belt. I pulled the hood off Sunday morning and will hang it in my shop (very very securely) as a reminder that if bad s**t can happen it will happen.
The hood was perfect though or so I thought until I saw the rust between the panels after this breath taking fun. Lesson learned.
You guys are the best!

Tom

Khyron

if u where closer I would have a hood for u, sorry to hear about the booboo. again, very lucky!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

twodko

Thanks Khyron, I wish I was closer too right about now.

Tom

Belgium R/T -68

100 years ago I had a cuda 440-6 but with a monster 383 in it, on my first time on the track same thing happend to me.
Hood bent over and crashed the windshield, nobody got hurt luckely. I didn't do many races after that.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

qwick68

yea same happend to me....young and dumb thought the rope would hold it...LOL! got a trashed hood and a smashed roff...damn
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

Charger440RDN

Sorry to hear about the hood, glad it was just minor and nobody was hurt.

squeakfinder

Weird how they bend.

This one's been on craigslist for quite some time for $85.00  :shruggy:.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

70charginglizard

not to make light of it but it reminds me of tommy boy.
70charginglizard

MoparManJim

Quote from: squeakfinder on October 26, 2009, 08:43:44 PM
Weird how they bend.

This one's been on craigslist for quite some time for $85.00  :shruggy:.

It's not weird on how they bend. think about it. Hood hinges on both sides holding it. The center has no nothing to hold it in place. The hood comes up gets yank backwards by the air. The sides the are hold isn't going to give that easy. The center that has nothing is going to bend with that big open part that has all the air behind it pushing on it. The area that has nothing holding it will bend fast. 

twodko

Man that picture Squeakfinder posted is exactly how my hood bent. It would cost more than its worth to repair it soooooo........I've made the call to AMD. Great folks but my wallet is bleeding.

Tom

Charger440RDN

Are you gonna put hood pins on the new hood when it's done? That should prevent this in the future :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

Just an FYI....You would be hard pressed to find many restored cars that didnt have surface rust between the layers like that....The few that you could find would have likely been dipped.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jaak

Quote from: 70charginglizard on October 26, 2009, 08:49:25 PM
not to make light of it but it reminds me of tommy boy.

Tommy Boy.... now thats a classic. Anytime I catch it on TV, I gotta stop what Im doing and watch it again.

Jason

twodko

The rust was an eye opener with what I know about how the car was taken care of and stored. Oxidation is everywhere and water is the most powerful solvent on the planet. I sure need to be proactive avoiding any further hood flights. I'm hesitant to go the pin route. I was considering some type of plastic coated bicycle cable through some of the under hood openings looping through the latch panel or something but at 56 that might prove to be a PITA. I don't mnd the look of hood pins I just hate to drill holes in a brand new hood. I suppose I could shrink wrap the front end of the car but it looks awful at car shows. Any other ideas guys?

P.S. Jaak, that is a very creative avatar!

Tom

MoparManJim

Quote from: twodko on October 27, 2009, 05:20:59 PM
The rust was an eye opener with what I know about how the car was taken care of and stored. Oxidation is everywhere and water is the most powerful solvent on the planet. I sure need to be proactive avoiding any further hood flights. I'm hesitant to go the pin route. I was considering some type of plastic coated bicycle cable through some of the under hood openings looping through the latch panel or something but at 56 that might prove to be a PITA. I don't mnd the look of hood pins I just hate to drill holes in a brand new hood. I suppose I could shrink wrap the front end of the car but it looks awful at car shows. Any other ideas guys?

P.S. Jaak, that is a very creative avatar!

Tom

Heres an idea better then hood pins  :eek2:, where the last latch is at. The on you pull to rase up the hood. That black metal  J hook. Heres my idea, take and get a spring that is strong enough to leave you pull the handle to pull the latch back to open but yet also pull the latch back to it's original pistion fast once you leave go of the handle. This way no bumping oir jaring when droven will release the latch. Drill a small hole in the latch side just big enought for the spring hook to go trough and then clamp the end shut some how. Put a fasher bolt on under the hood to fashtion the spring to but make sure the spring has some tension on it already though so it won't leave the latch have play unless you pull pull on the handle to pull the latch back to open the hood up. This way the hood latch will have tenstion on it at all times to keep it in close position alot better then factory was.

jaak

QuoteP.S. Jaak, that is a very creative avatar!

Tom

2-3 weeks ago, I primered the whole car for its second round of blocksanding, after it dried, I just had to pop on that RT emblem to look at it....took a pic....new avatar!

Jason

twodko

Jason, the avatar is the bomb!

MoparManJim, I'm going to give your idea a look tonight when I get home. Thanks.

Tom