News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interesting 3rd Gen. Rare -vs- Desirable?

Started by quapman, October 24, 2009, 05:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quapman

A friend of mine recently found an interesting and rare 71 Charger.

It's a WH23N1G. Yep, a base model Charger with a 383HP engine. If it was a 4-speed car, there's be no question of buying it, but it's an auto on the column/bench. One of 625 total, 514 autos. It's got no options and the basic rectangular dash. Of course it's green on green as well....L-O-L.

The trans is out of the car (and is included), but the matching # 383 is still hanging in it. Condition-wise, it's an NC car, so there is little rust in the "core" (frame rails, floors, cowl, inner fenders, etc.), but it needs pretty much everything else. Quarters need minor work, fenders are trashed. Some genius added a vinyl top way back when, complete with homemade moldings, so the roof has heavy rust pitting.

The questions are:

Is this car worth restoring?

What's it worth?

My friend who is considering the purchase asked that I not post pics just yet.
What do y'all think?

Reidar

Heres my  :Twocents:

Every Charger not rotten beyond repair is worth restoring..

Its worth as much as your buddy feel comfy paying? If its all about the money, and he wants to make a quick buck I dont know.

911bear

:nana: still without pics this thread is useless!  :popcrn:
1974 DODGE CHARGER SE BROUGHAM - CURRENTLY
CARS I HAVE OWNED :
4 - 1969 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY W/ COVER UP HEADLIGHTS 2 DOOR
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER
2 - 1973 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - CHRYSLER CORDOBA
1 - 1984 DODGE RAM TRUCK

tricky lugnuts

Just remember, parts for 1971 Charger are a real $$$$$ to find, worse than 68-70 or 73-74 Chargers. Quarter skins or full panels? Trunk extensions? Wheel houses? Good luck finding them.

Fenders? I paid close to $1,000 for a decent fender for my Charger, and it was the only one in the country I could find.

Of course, just because parts are rare, that doesn't make the car not worth restoring. It just makes it more of a challenge depending on what it will need.

Just making sure you're aware of this dilemma.  :Twocents:

Nacho-RT74

If want to restore I think looks like a good chance to make a Bee Clone. Only will need hood, rallye cluster and some stuff more. Rest is there.

I'm not a Fan of clones, just an opinion.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

quapman

My friend is looking at the car to build for himself, not to flip.

We're well aware of 71 parts being hard to find. I have had a few myself and have been down that road. AMD has recently come out with a lot of parts for 71/72 Charger, which is good. I know where a pair of nice fenders is, so that's not a biggie.

No pics....I know, I know, but my friend is a little superstitious and doesn't want the car to get sniped.

I like the Bee clone idea.

nakita7

Huge 3rd gen guy here.

IMO, it's not worth much. Cool to have a big block plain vanilla car, but with the geeky dash and column...

Rare, yes. Desirable, no.

If you clone it, noone will care for about 20 years, then someone will want to 'restore' it to original. In 20 years, 3rd gens will be worth more than 2nd gens anyway. Clone it up! :Twocents:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: nakita7 on October 24, 2009, 12:51:13 PM
Cool to have a big block plain vanilla car, but with the geeky dash and column...

well, thats the way Bees came standart... weren't ? bench and column shifter with 383/727 and sure got 8.75" axle with 3.23 ratio, good drivetrain and basic for a Bee. Thats why the Bee clone came in to my mind, just cluster ( wiring ) and hood will be basically enough to build the clone, no need for buckets or console by a fact nor doors, or tail lights... then also some emblems and miscelanous

Being a hardtop,  ( WH23 ) makes even easier with woodgrain panels and 3 spokes steering wheel but not the basic one from the WL21 model

then if wished, you can get it to factory specs just changing back the stuff you removed
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html