News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High Beam/low beam shut off question

Started by billschroeder5842, October 24, 2009, 05:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I have a '69 with a headlight problem. When I flip the headlight switch, the low beams come on as they should. When I click the floor dimmer switch, the low beams go out and the hi beams don't come on either (Although I get the little red indicator on my cluster). I bought a new foot dimmer switch and swapped it out--no difference. My next guess is that the switch in my instument cluster is faulty. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Texas Proud!

A383Wing

Do you have power coming out of the wire at the dimmer switch when high beams are on? You should always have power at the center terminal on the dimmer switch, then when you push the switch...power will switch and go to either outer terminal.

If your low beams work, then your headlight switch is good....

Some possibilties here:

All your high beams are burnt out
Firewall harness connection issue
Harness connection issue for the forward light harness around the battery area.

Charger RT

+1^

if the red high beam indicator is lighting up in the dash it would indicate the foot switch is working and there is either an open wire going to the high beams or the bulbs are all burnt out.
Tim

billschroeder5842

Thanks...okay just to be clear....when I put the lights on, the low beams work just fine. When I put the brights on, all front light (all four) are dark. I click the foot dimmer again and the low beams come on.

So, from what I read....
The dash switch is Okay
The foot dimmer is okay
I might have to check all connections
Both high beam bulbs are out (it seems funny that both go at the same time)

Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!
Texas Proud!

A383Wing

your low beam bulbs also have high beam filament inside also....it would be rare to have all 4 high beam bulbs bad...I suspect a bad connection somewhere between the dimmer switch and the bulbs themselves.

I would advise getting a service manual if you are "electrically challenged" in the automotive field....trying to diagnose and repair wiring problems over the computer and Internet is guesswork at best....all we are trying to do here is point you in the most obvious direction that could be the fault. It's going to be up to you or a mechanic to properly trace the wires to see where it looses "power" between the dimmer switch and the headlights when they are on high beam

billschroeder5842

Thanks. I pulled out my service manual and did some tracing.

I'll start with the wiring connections around the battery adn firewall as that seems most logical.

I'll keep you posted.

Yeah! Sunday Project!
Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

Well, now I feel stupid, but at least is was any easy fix.

I found the wire connections near the battery and saw that the connectors wer ca-a-a-ro-rded-ded.. I filed, wire brushed and used some cleaner and the whole system now works as it should.

I have a habit of comple thingcating--thanks for the easy suggestions.
Texas Proud!