News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So, today was supposed to be a GOOD day..

Started by jb666, October 24, 2009, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

It was supposed to be an exciting day.. The new plow got installed  , I had a car show to look forward to tomorrow  ..   :shruggy:

So , I KNEW this truck wasn't a 2500, and wasn't my F350 SuperDuty, but........ I got to the shop to pick it up. BEAUTIFUL setup, I like it... The only "problem" is that the main assembly to this plow is about 1" off the ground.......

Ok fine, I planned on lifting the truck a bit, I just didn't know how much..... Now I do. The plow won't even come OFF the truck in my driveway it's so low...

In this picture the blade is dropped..I'm just showing you what it looks like:

Now here's the main assembly that I can NOT adjust, and the main reason I'm lifting the truck...

So originally I planned on putting the stock 16's on the truck for the winter. 265/65/16's. The problem with that plan is they are actually 1.5" SHORTER than the 22's that are on the truck now, even though they are 245/50/22's.  I was going to lift the front 3" (keys, not an actual lift KIT) and the rear 1". That , I was hoping, would be enough. Here's the kit I'm talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320439097485&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Now I'm wondering if that'll be enough, or if I should do a 4-6" suspension lift and put 33" tires under there......

What sucks is my F350 was an absolute monster and never had ANY clearance issues, but I had it lifted 6" with 35" tires on it...

One other thing to keep in mind is I DO NOT do any commercial plowing. I do my driveway and my parents driveway, that's it.

captnsim

Did you get the torsion bars cranked up? If not try that...Just get the front aligned after. Also looks like the angle is off where the headworks bolts on. Also looks very adjustable. Maybe try moving the front up a hole.

jb666

Quote from: captnsim on October 24, 2009, 04:43:25 PM
Did you get the torsion bars cranked up? If not try that...Just get the front aligned after. You can also have some keys installed to get more lift out of the bars.

Not yet, no.. I'm not sure where my (stock) bars are adjusted right now. We're going to check it out tomorrow. It sat/sits pretty low in the front right now without the plow attached...

As for the replacement keys, that's the kit in the EBay auction. Those are 3" keys and a 1" rear spacer. That , combined with 33's should give me what I need, but I want to be sure.. Because the difference in the 3" kit and the 6" kit is about $1700.  :o

captnsim

Got me whilst changing my post...looks like the whole headworks could go up some not just the front. A slight mod of the bumper cover may give you more room to move it up too.

Landonsrt

The torsion bars are not going to be anywhere near enough for that truck. Ive done that on a few Z71's Ive had and usually got about 1/2 inch more. With 4-6 inch lift you could easily go to 35's. you might have to trim a notch in the front bumper. I used to sell Suspension lifts for trucks and jeeps. With that added weight in the front, youll still have a raked look with it. Which I think is the best! I used to run 285's on my truck just with the torsion bars cranked. 265's are way too small for 2500's. They should have put on 285's from factory.

jb666

Quote from: captnsim on October 24, 2009, 04:51:47 PM
Got me whilst changing my post...looks like the whole headworks could go up some not just the front. A slight mod the the bumper cover may give you more room to move it up too.

I'll check that out, too. I'm heading by my buddy's shop in the morning for him to look at it.. I'm sure there are a couple of things that can be done. I've never had a Chevy truck, never mind one with an "adjustable" front suspension like this has.. So I have no idea how far (if at all?) this will go up..... I'll post some before/after shots when we are finished.. Either way it's going up a little bit...

jb666

Quote from: Landonsrt on October 24, 2009, 04:53:17 PM
The torsion bars are not going to be anywhere near enough for that truck. Ive done that on a few Z71's Ive had and usually got about 1/2 inch more. With 4-6 inch lift you could easily go to 35's. you might have to trim a notch in the front bumper. I used to sell Suspension lifts for trucks and jeeps. With that added weight in the front, youll still have a raked look with it. Which I think is the best! I used to run 285's on my truck just with the torsion bars cranked. 265's are way too small for 2500's. They should have put on 285's from factory.

I agree. 265's are tiny, but this is only a 1500.. The blade is 50% of the weight of my Fisher 7.5 (this is only a Medium Duty setup). I have my doubts on the bars being enough, as well. That's why I'm thinking the keys will definitely help. Any experience with those???

captnsim

They work good for lifting (basically just gives you more tension on the bars) but ruin your ride quality with the plow off.

jb666

Quote from: captnsim on October 24, 2009, 05:04:26 PM
They work good for lifting (basically just gives you more tension on the bars) but ruin your ride quality with the plow off.

Really?? These kits CLAIM to maintain factory ride quality.. Then again, so hasn't every lift kit I've ever installed..

So it looks like I might be heading towards a 6" lift...

captnsim

I'd try moving your head works up to these holes, and adj the bars up. If you find you only need a bit more use the keys. If you need a lot...over 2 inch's after adjustments, I'd lift it the 6.
You can also set your plow on some blocks and take up the lift chain a bit to get more lift.

MoparManJim

You got a lower panel problem that I can see with that mounting area. If you go up the panel hits the bracket, you go down and the bracket hits the ground. From my view, the only way to get around the issue is to mod the panel alittle where the brackets are. That would take the clearing problem out. 

I edited the first line and half out.

Landonsrt

All three of my Z71's were 1500's. Thats the only way they were until 2007. I put 285/75/16 BFgoodrich All terrains on one of them and cranked up the torsion bars. It did ruin the comfort of the front suspension but I didnt care. It was completely tollerable. I dont think that kit is going to be enough for what you are trying to accomplish. I didnt look at the kit at the time of my first post. All that kit is are spacers. Might as well put a body lift on it with bumper relocating brackets. Wouldnt recommend it and I dont know if they make them for Avalanches.

Truthfully I would look into something from Rancho, Superlift, Skyjacker, Procomp. I know its probably way more than you wanted to spend but it would be a much better solution!

captnsim

Body lift's suck! Never seen a truck look "right" after. 
If you do go with a susp lift be aware some will not allow you to use factory wheels.

Landonsrt

Just about all recommend to replace factory wheels. Looks better anyway. I agree body lifts suck. I wasnt saying he should. Just saying that one is about as good as the other. thats just a leveling kit to bring up the front. Wont do what he is needing. Will still need more room.

jb666

Quote from: MoparManJim on October 24, 2009, 09:09:44 PM
Okay, I don't want to sound negative here, but why doesn't people think before they go out and get something. From my point of view, that plow looks like it doesn't even fit on that truck with that ground clearing problem. Jeff, what truck is that plow design to fit on? You got a lower panel problem that I can see with that mounting area. If you go up the panel hits the bracket, you go down and the bracket hits the ground. From my view, the only way to get around the issue is to mod the panel alittle where the brackets are. That would take the clearing problem out.

Thanks , Jim.. I never thought of that.  :brickwall: Not sure what I'd do with out your criticism.  :2thumbs:

This is a medium duty truck designed for 1500 series pickups and SUV's. They've installed scores of these on Avalanche's and Chevy 1500 pickups. But thanks  :slap:

Thanks for the tips, Captnsim.. I'll know tomorrow morning, but I believe you're right, that he has it adjusted improperly and that the chain CAN go up another link or two. That's one of the first things I was noticing upon my arrival back home.   :cheers: :cheers:

Quote from: Landonsrt on October 24, 2009, 09:56:59 PM
All three of my Z71's were 1500's. Thats the only way they were until 2007. I put 285/75/16 BFgoodrich All terrains on one of them and cranked up the torsion bars. It did ruin the comfort of the front suspension but I didnt care. It was completely tollerable. I dont think that kit is going to be enough for what you are trying to accomplish. I didnt look at the kit at the time of my first post. All that kit is are spacers. Might as well put a body lift on it with bumper relocating brackets. Wouldnt recommend it and I dont know if they make them for Avalanches.

Truthfully I would look into something from Rancho, Superlift, Skyjacker, Procomp. I know its probably way more than you wanted to spend but it would be a much better solution!

I've been checking into them. If minor adjustments don't do the trick, I'm gonna lift it 6" and call it a day.. I'm trying to avoid it, because I really like the way this thing rides right now..

rt green

torsion bar keys. didnt i hear somewhere that the stock f 150 keys were the same as the aftermarket ones for the chevys? you might want to reserch that theroy
third string oil changer

chargerhunter

Okay, I don't want to sound negative here, but why doesn't people think before they go out and get something. From my point of view, that plow looks like it doesn't even fit on that truck with that ground clearing problem. Jeff, what truck is that plow design to fit on? You got a lower panel problem that I can see with that mounting area. If you go up the panel hits the bracket, you go down and the bracket hits the ground. From my view, the only way to get around the issue is to mod the panel alittle where the brackets are. That would take the clearing problem out.

I'm sure Jim is the snow plow GURU!   :rofl:
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

jb666

Quote from: chargerhunter on October 28, 2009, 08:29:20 AM

I'm sure Jim is the snow plow GURU!   :rofl:

I'm sure he is, by the sounds of it.  :brickwall:

Anyways, the truck's going up. 6" suspension lift, 35" tires on 18" rims.. I'm not messing around any more and I'm tired of driving around in a non-lifted truck, so it's time to go up.  And yes, I doesn't thinked about this before I done it.

FWIW, we cranked the torsion bars up on Monday. That brought my nose up about an inch, but I didn't want to crank them any further.. So I decided to just get it over with.

MoparManJim

Okay first off, I'm not a snow plow guru, but I do know folks that runs snow plows in the winter, I even have friends that has relatives with snow plows hook to there vehicles. But I do agree with jb666 about how low the bracket is, one bump and it will hit ground though by the looks of it. But to my view from the photograph, that lower bumper part is right there just above the bracket.  

I even have friends that goes out and get stuff for on there vehicles that the items was not designed for and then they complain about the items not fitting right.

Also Jb666, I'm sorry for offending you. That was not my in-tenions, I also just tryed to send you a pm back about the other pm you had sent me but after hitting submit it said you have block me though.

Quote from: jb666 on October 28, 2009, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: chargerhunter on October 28, 2009, 08:29:20 AM

I'm sure Jim is the snow plow GURU!   :rofl:

I'm sure he is, by the sounds of it.  :brickwall:

Anyways, the truck's going up. 6" suspension lift, 35" tires on 18" rims.. I'm not messing around any more and I'm tired of driving around in a non-lifted truck, so it's time to go up.  And yes, I doesn't thinked about this before I done it.

FWIW, we cranked the torsion bars up on Monday. That brought my nose up about an inch, but I didn't want to crank them any further.. So I decided to just get it over with.

jb666

Well, things have really come up since my last post.. Literally.

9" of suspension lift. It might not look like it here because the stock 16's are back on, but as of tonight my new set will be installed (they just arrived!). I'm putting 35X12.5X18's on...

Before...

Now, after lift and heavy duty Torsion bar install...

Next, I'm going to crank the bars up a bit to give the nose about 1.5-2" over the height of the rear. This will help (over)compensate for the weight of the plow unit.

Gee, imagine, something being thought out ??  :brickwall:

captnsim

Looking good Jeff...seems like no issues with clearance now!
Kinda just like you figured in the beginning, that you would have to lift it. But I give ya cudos for trying it with out the lift. Never hurts to save a buck if you can.  :2thumbs:

Landonsrt

Damn!  Looks great! Are you using the black wheels or going with a new combo? Those 265's look tiny...

jb666

I got a new combo. Picked themup tonight at the trucking terminal, actually. I'll post pics tomorrow.

jb666

Ok, wheels & tires are on and WOW, what a difference.. I love it. BFG makes a great tire, but this is the first time I've run the Mud Terrain combo.. I'm impressed with the ride and level of noise coming from them (virtually nothing)

"During"

After.. I had to do some trimming, but nothing major.. Just some plastic trim, and after cleaning up the cut areas they look factory.

And now I have a BIT more ground clearance  :lol:

And best of all, it's UP THERE like I like all my trucks to be.. So now I'm happy!!

Charger1973

Thats a nice looking ride.  Man you're making me want to do that too..........

jb666

Quote from: Charger1973 on November 09, 2009, 04:51:48 PM
Thats a nice looking ride.  Man you're making me want to do that too..........

Thanks!
Next I'll be taking off the BSM's. I like the clean look.. And nothing's going to ding my doors now.

Landonsrt

I so have truck envy right now. Same color as my Z71. That looks great!! Im suprised you didnt go with the all terrains. Those mud terrains do look good though.

Go Hogs Go

Go Hogs!

jb666

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on November 11, 2009, 10:15:34 AM
Jeff,

What kind of rims are those?

The are Helos... Sorry, I meant to answer you...

Here's a cool comparison...

Before

After

Landonsrt

jb666

Quote from: Landonsrt on November 14, 2009, 04:34:05 PM
What suspension system did you go with??

I bought all Rough Country components. I got everything from TopGunzCustoms online... Great place to deal with and 1/3 of the price of my local shop!!!!!!!!!

jb666

So, today we finished off the lift (finally). We put new keys in the front giving me 2" more, and 1 3/4" rear coil spring spacers. I wanted the nose up a bit higher than the rest so when the plow's on it's level, and it worked! Tomorrow we'll lengthen the plow chain then LET IT SNOW!!!!!!!!!  I'm ready!!

I swapped out the factory steps (they didn't stick out far enough) and put Black Powdercoated (Rampage) steps on... I love the look!!

The best part is, on a 100% level floor the nose is exactly 3/4" higher than the rear, which is exactly what it dropped when we put the plow on.

captnsim

jb666

Thanks! I REALLY like the way the IFS rides.. Super smooth, even lifted!!!

skip68

:2thumbs:   Looks great Jeff.   Now, about FLG and the HEMI..... 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Landonsrt

Put some pics up with the plow on. I want to see the level ride. Those black rims really set of the contrast to the silver. Looks awesome.

jb666

Quote from: Landonsrt on November 21, 2009, 12:04:27 AM
Put some pics up with the plow on. I want to see the level ride. Those black rims really set of the contrast to the silver. Looks awesome.

You've got it! Here's a shot of it on level ground, at Home Depot today...

I'll have pictures of it with the plow on by the end of this week.

jb666

Quote from: Landonsrt on November 21, 2009, 12:04:27 AM

As you requested, here are a few shots. With the blade OFF the ground the truck is 100% level, to the 1/16"!!! I was amazed... It took a lot of adjustments though, to get it this close, not to mention chain extensions, new mounting hardware, lowering brackets, etc...

When it stops raining I'll take a couple of shots with the blade up.

Landonsrt

Looking good! Maybe youll get some use out of it when the rain turns to snow.  Lovin the Avalanche!

jb666

Ok, I've been out driving around with it for the past 2 days.. The nose seems to be settling a bit, but I'm fine with that!! I have to say, lifted AND with the plow on it, this thing still drives as nice as my wife's Navigator!! I've never been a huge Chevy Truck fan, but compared to my Ford(s) this thing is a dream to drive

The thing looks like an over-grown Tonka Truck!!

Foreman72

:o

man that looks awesome :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

do you have the exhaust note to match that mean look
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

jb666

Quote from: Foreman72 on December 06, 2009, 06:04:39 PM

:rofl: NOPE! The truck sounds like a wimp and goes like a wimp... For now.. You know that'll change. A tune and an exhaust system later it'll be a bit better..

I didn't buy this thing for it's blazing speed and power, so I'm not disappointed like I was with my '06 Charger... This thing's pure comfort and SPACE.

Foreman72

Quote from: jb666 on December 06, 2009, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: Foreman72 on December 06, 2009, 06:04:39 PM

:rofl: NOPE! The truck sounds like a wimp and goes like a wimp... For now.. You know that'll change. A tune and an exhaust system later it'll be a bit better..

I didn't buy this thing for it's blazing speed and power, so I'm not disappointed like I was with my '06 Charger... This thing's pure comfort and SPACE.

o of course...but if you can't hear it coming... :D

its all good...as long as it can run you over it don't matter what it sound like :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

jb666

Well, I just ordered my train horn setup (I REALLY missed having my train horns...) and strobes.. So PART of the obnoxiousness will return soon...

jb666

So yesterday I had the factory exhaust cut off and Flowmaster 40's put in their place, out to (2) 3.5" chrome slash cut tips..

It woke the truck up.. Before, I couldn't even hear the thing run. It drove me crazy!!

Anwyays, I took this when it was 9 degrees out, but you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMEEkeUJaw

And yes, the truck's got dirt, salt & sand all over it.. There's nothing I can do right now, everything's frozen solid  :o

MoparManJim