News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need work Advice

Started by riggs626, October 23, 2009, 10:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riggs626

Ok I was wanting to get your guys advice
         I work for tiresplus/Firestone (dont ever work for them) and this year we are on our sixth manager But anyways ya I am younger but I do have a family and have constantly informed the managers that I can work past 6pm because I have no one to watch my daughter who is 5 after 7 as well as that I have a second job on sundays and mondays (third shift) Yet they will constantly schedule me till 8:30 at night and on weekends. I dont know what to do it so so frustrating  :brickwall:

68X426

Find another job somehow. They don't appreciate you. Family comes first. :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bull

If you can't work past 6 you can't work past 6. I guess you either have to get it through their thick heads or find another job. Does this job pay any better than any other tire shop where they know what they're doing? I guess I'd write a note to the supervisor stating you cannot work past 6 pm and have him sign it. After that just leave at 6 pm no matter what the schedule says and when they cry about it just whip out the signed note and show them what they agreed to. :shruggy:

riggs626

Thats an idea, I have handed them countless paper schedules what I can and cannot work, But they tell me to hire a sitter the last two nights cause me 80 buckswhy should I have to hire a sitter for when i should be home with her. Even while im going thru my workers comp claim they refuse to follow the restrictions and let me go to my therapy to get better. and they tell you that its the best tire place that pays the best but the fact is im not a tire tech Im an ASE certified mechanic yet they treat us as glorified tire techs

Blown70

ummm yea, Get a different job.  Sorry, but if your ASE cert.  you should have a few options that can work with your schedule.  Also, it is not legal for them to not allow you off work for a medical appointment related to work..... at least in ND...

Tom

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: riggs626 on October 23, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
Even while im going thru my workers comp claim

AHHHH! There it is!

You had a worker's comp claim?

You've been targeted.

You're officially on their shit list.

You could tell them you wanted to work every evening late and they'd make damn

sure you were outta there by 3:00.

Forza

Chain of command. If the managers won't do a damn thing take it up a level.

hemi-hampton

Sounds like Sabotage to me :scratchchin:  LEON.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: riggs626 on October 23, 2009, 11:22:58 PM
Thats an idea, I have handed them countless paper schedules what I can and cannot work, But they tell me to hire a sitter the last two nights cause me 80 buckswhy should I have to hire a sitter for when i should be home with her. Even while im going thru my workers comp claim they refuse to follow the restrictions and let me go to my therapy to get better. and they tell you that its the best tire place that pays the best but the fact is im not a tire tech Im an ASE certified mechanic yet they treat us as glorified tire techs

They are trying to run you off because of the comp claim. If they can get you to they quit they figure you may just give up on the whole thing. Typical comp/insurance company tactic. As far as denying you the right to leave and threatening your employment over a medical appointment related to the claim I am pretty sure that is illegal. But I would "quietly" start checking into what kind of legal options you have regardig your claim and your rights as far as treatment goes.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

skip68

Hummmm, .....  :scratchchin: :scratchchin: Do you have an audio recorder that can fit in your pocket???????? My advice, GET ONE!!!!!  :D :D :cheers:

Mrs.Skip68 ;)

P.S.  :2thumbs: For being a responsible, caring, Dad!!!!  :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

rt green

what a bunch of pricks. 6 managers? go figure that. i'm in the same trade, there are better shops out there. try an independent shop?
third string oil changer

68charger383

I'm a workers' compensation attorney and their trying to run you off. They have to let you go to medical appointments when scheduled.

Claim you can't see that well at night and need to get home before it gets dark, then add "after the work related injury"  :rofl:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

riggs626

I talked with the manager today and told him the situation and go well thats tough and bassically I need to get with the program and work his schedule reguardless of what i can and cannot work

AKcharger

Soun slike a bummer an it' easy enough for those of us wit jobs to say quit but you have a family to support.But I'd look for another job ASAP. I'd be real careful not t hurt my back lifting a tire. Those soft tissue injurys are almost impossible to prove butgood new is there are LOTS of places that will be happy to treat while your off work  :scratchchin:

P.S.

My company is hiring and we have locations in most every state  ;)

bull

Quote from: riggs626 on October 24, 2009, 10:12:35 PM
I talked with the manager today and told him the situation and go well thats tough and bassically I need to get with the program and work his schedule reguardless of what i can and cannot work

Well, there you go. Now you have to decide if you're going to pick this battle or walk away. I have to agree with the others that they're just screwing with you over the comp claim. Personally I'd do what Forza said and bypass these clowns for upper management. Corporate usually doesn't take too kindly to managers operating outside the law so I'd call a regional manager and tell him what's going on. If that doesn't work go higher and talk to the state about it. Keep a record of everything they do and say as it relates to you as en employee in case you need to prove your story. Chances are your manager is doing the same.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: bull on October 24, 2009, 10:49:47 PM
Quote from: riggs626 on October 24, 2009, 10:12:35 PM

Well, there you go. Now you have to decide if you're going to pick this battle or walk away. I have to agree with the others that they're just screwing with you over the comp claim. Personally I'd do what Forza said and bypass these clowns for upper management. Corporate usually doesn't take too kindly to managers operating outside the law so I'd call a regional manager and tell him what's going on. If that doesn't work go higher and talk to the state about it. Keep a record of everything they do and say as it relates to you as en employee in case you need to prove your story. Chances are your manager is doing the same.

Now is a good time to not be talking to anybody really about your comp case, other than your Dr. and your "management" and don't tell them anything at all other than what they absolutely need to know. Also do not badmouth the company or any employees, to anybody. Keep a small notebook with you at all times and document everything....and I mean everything no matter how trivial it may seem. It would also be wise of you to get with whatever applicable state and or regulatory agencies that cover these things and begin finding out what your rights and legal options may be. I am pretty sure that it won't be long before they find or manufacture enough stuff to terminate you. Trust me on this I've seen it many times and it has happened to me before (wasn't over a comp case though) Don't discuss the case with co workers or even offer anything other than vague details here. Everything you say not only can but will be twisted and used against you. They will lie and fabricate incidents if need be to make it stick. And if you don't have times, dates, witnesses, locations and word for word transcripts of the discussions you are almost gauranteed to lose. Do you have an employee handbook and or a copy of the companies policies regarding employees? If not I'd be getting one. Somebody mentioned a tape recorder? I don't know if anything you tape without consent is admissable in any kind of comp or court case. I would go to my appointments as scheduled. That is your legal right. But don't rub it in and deliberately schedule appointments during work hours. If they happen to fall during them....So be it. If they fire you over it it will be a wrongful termination and you will receive unemployment benefits most likely. But they will deny your claim and  it will take "some" time. But if your living week to week cash wise this seriously weakens your "leverage" in this matter. Be smart, be quiet and beat them at their own "dirty pool" game. Good luck. Although I truly believe your time at that tire shop is coming to an end. And it might not be your choice.

Pretty sad when Corporate greed and Govt corruption reduce working at a tire shop to this kind of bs. Unfortunately it's the new American business model.

Silver R/T

It sucks working for companies that don't give a shit about their employees. Especially in this hard economic time. I know I work for one of those companies that are not concerned with a well-being of their employees. Even though I'm always told how good of a worker I am by my lead I still make shitty wages that I was making 1 1/2 yrs ago. They still kept me while many others were laid off so it's not as bad as it could've been. They laid off a few people and rehired them back week to a month later as temps! They are not paying them benefits/medical and few of these people depended on it as they have sick spouses at home.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

The70RT

I'm glad I am home on sick leave now and not workmans comp (i waited over 180 days to seek treatment) this time. Last time they made me go back when they wanted me to so i am glad I am doing it like this. This time I will go back when I am ready. Yeah you need to leave there or go over their heads to the corporate office. I would just have my lawyer send a letter or chat with them before they find a reason to fire you. :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dkn1997

First off, i'd say that a couple of nights that you have to leave by 6 is not an unreasonable request.  I'm a manager and If my guys give me the proper notice for time off requests, I almost always grant them.  Same goes with work schedule requests.  The only time it becomes unreasonable is if you go in and say " I need to leave early or by 6 today"  Clearly you have given them notice with the written schedule.

Here is a nickel's worth of free advice:  get a copy of the company policy and procedure manual and follow it to the tee.  If there is a form for special schedule requests or time off, use it.  Do everything in writing.  As management at my place, we document everything to protect ourselves.  No reason for employees not to do the same.  In reality, documenting everything on both sides eliminates confusion and people "misremembering" things.  Sounds like you are doing this already, but take a 2nd look to be 100% sure.  Once you do this or confirm that you are already documenting everything, give them another chance to make it right.  Then go to the state or county dep't of labor and file a complaint.  They sound like scumbags, but be the bigger man and give them one last chance
RECHRGED

68charger383

Quote from: The70RT on October 25, 2009, 12:31:01 AM
I would just have my lawyer send a letter or chat with them before they find a reason to fire you. :Twocents:

:iagree:

Go hire an attorney, no immediate cost to you, only when your case settles. You'll probably have less issues once you retain one. Go look for another job.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

riggs626

I was thinkin of writing another schedule or stating the hours that I cannot work (granted Its the same schedule I have had for two years and now issues)and that they are refusing stating its unfair treatment and have management sign it 

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 68charger383 on October 25, 2009, 03:46:39 PM
Quote from: The70RT on October 25, 2009, 12:31:01 AM
I would just have my lawyer send a letter or chat with them before they find a reason to fire you. :Twocents:

:iagree:

Go hire an attorney, no immediate cost to you, only when your case settles. You'll probably have less issues once you retain one. Go look for another job.

Excellent advice. But also make sure to ge the entire story on paper (accurately) Don't let your emotions "enhance" any of your version of the events surrounding the comp case or your current scheduling conflict.

bull

They probably won't sign anything you want them to sign. As said prior, get ahold of the employee handbook and figure out what you can and can't do in regards to the issue you're having and follow it to a T. I'd like to say it's easier to stay where you are and work things out (most times it is) but while you're working on this mess I suggest you explore your employment options elsewhere.

The70RT

Quote from: bull on October 25, 2009, 05:10:02 PM
They probably won't sign anything you want them to sign. As said prior, get ahold of the employee handbook and figure out what you can and can't do in regards to the issue you're having and follow it to a T. I'd like to say it's easier to stay where you are and work things out (most times it is) but while you're working on this mess I suggest you explore your employment options elsewhere.

Yep, and sometimes you have to point specifics that benefit you. I have had more than one instance that I had to say.....just going by the book.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us