News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 1/4 Sure Grip

Started by FLG, October 21, 2009, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Got a bite on a used 8 1/4 sure grip unit out of a 1990's dakota. Will this go right in with no problems in my 8 1/4? Assuming the spline count for the axles is the same?

Pretty cheap for the unit so figure it will hold me off until i get a good deal on an 8 3/4

bordin34

I am pretty sure the spline count changed somewhere around the mid-90s so you have to make sure they are the same or get new axles.
I just googled some stuff and I found that the spline count changes around 97.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

FLG

He said its a 27 spline count.

Whats the spline count for mine?? LOL

bordin34

Randy's Ring and Pinion website says that you should have a 27 spline.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

FLG

Thanks Dan.

He said he has 2, one is spring clutch the other is just clutches?

Whats the better of the two? And is this a pretty simple install from a non sure grip unit? Basically take mine out and swap everything and im good to go??

FLG

mikepmcs

What's a good deal on a used 8 1/4 qtr?  Remember what I said while we were walking out of Carlisle. I meant it. All you need is the 8-3/4 drum to drum housing. Surely someone on here has the banjo to part with cheap?Hopefully in the NY area anyway? I have the money part and it's yours right out of my Charger. That is unless you need something other than a 3.23 Cone SG set. :icon_smile_big: I stuffed 3.91's and have no plans to put anything else back in it.
Let me know if you intend not to use it so I can put it up for sale. :2thumbs:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

FLG

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 24, 2009, 09:07:00 AM
What's a good deal on a used 8 1/4 qtr?  Remember what I said while we were walking out of Carlisle. I meant it. All you need is the 8-3/4 drum to drum housing. Surely someone on here has the banjo to part with cheap?Hopefully in the NY area anyway? I have the money part and it's yours right out of my Charger. That is unless you need something other than a 3.23 Cone SG set. :icon_smile_big: I stuffed 3.91's and have no plans to put anything else back in it.
Let me know if you intend not to use it so I can put it up for sale. :2thumbs:

Hmmm....i know where there's a nice 3rd gen 8 3/4 housing sitting around complete with axles and new bearings.  :icon_smile_big:  My buddy has been bugging me to get it out of his yard for over a year now.  :scratchchin:

Frank, how far are you from New England Dragway (Epping NH)....i will be there on the 31st (weather permitting). I could haul it down in the dually. If it's still available, if i go, if you want it, if you can come scoop it....bunch of "IF's" but it could happen !  :lol:

Ron

Ps  Jim aka Beer with the cool purple 3rd gen is supposed to be coming down to NED for the Mopar day. I'm sure he could bring the centersection for you and he lives close to Mike. This is assuming that Mike can't make the show. It would be cool if we could make this all happen.  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

FLG

Ron, if you can bring it Epping NH is about 230 miles from me...im down for the trip  :2thumbs:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Ok...step 1 is to find out if it's still available.

I'll post up as soon as i know....hopefully later today.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

FLG

Awesome! my fingers are crossed!

firefighter3931

Frank, i just stopped by on my way from work and the housing is still there but nobody was home. I'm sure it's still mine if i want it but i want to make 100% sure before i scoop it. Looks good so far !

Pray for nice weather next w/e in NH  :engel016:

Ron

FLG

Yea!!

Im sure if weather is no good next week we could always arrange something another time.

Thanks Ron!

firefighter3931

Frank, i just stopped by my buddy's place and talked to him....I got the housing. There is one small issue that is easily rectified : the housing is supposedly for a 68-70 B-body so it's a little narrower than the 71-74 housing and the spring perches are in the wrong location. Lots of guys swap in the earlier housing and just reweld the spring perches. Mopar Muscle did a big article on this awhile back and they did the conversion to make a set of wheels they had fit the 3rd gen car better. Many of the popular wheel styles only come with limited backspace (3.5-3.75) so this axle swap allowed them to run those wheels. I believe the tire they were running was a 275/60/15 with a 15x8 Tork thrust wheel and it fit fine.....better than with the original housing.

As for the housing itself ; it has been painted up and has new bearings pressed on the axles and all new brakes shoes and stuff. Dave rebuilt the whole thing then realized that it wouldn't bolt-in to his 72 Charger so he just rebuilt the one that was in the car.

I'm gonna go pick it up later this week and measure it to make sure it's something that could work. I have the original housing out of my 68 to compare it to for dimensions.  :yesnod:

If it's something that you can use i will make sure you get it somehow...hopefully this coming w/e @ NED  :2thumbs:

Ron

FLG

Awesome Ron! I see no reason why it wouldnt work.. I have an article online with the different lengths and i know there not that far off. Just tell me how much cash i need to bring. I already know beers are a must!

firefighter3931

No cash involved....this one's my contribution to the FLG "traction improvement" program !  :icon_smile_big:

I'm gonna look for that article in my pile of MM mags  :scope:

Pray for good weather on Saturday  :coolgleamA:

Ron

FLG

LOL!!!

Thanks Ron, ill make sure i do a nice smokey burnout for ya when its in  :2thumbs:

I'll bring plenty of beer though, that i promise!!

I looked at the length. From flange to flange yours i think its 59.2, and a 3rd gen is 62". So im sure with the right backspacing it will work...maybe wheel spacers until i get the right rim combo??

firefighter3931

Just a thought ; with new spring perches needed to be welded on maybe it's time to consider moving the leaf springs inboard....kill 2 birds with one stone.  :scratchchin:

This would allow you to really fill that wheel well with some bad boy rubber !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron

FLG

Good idea Ron!

Been wanting to get the relocation kit!

RD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 26, 2009, 07:13:39 PM
Just a thought ; with new spring perches needed to be welded on maybe it's time to consider moving the leaf springs inboard....kill 2 birds with one stone.  :scratchchin:

This would allow you to really fill that wheel well with some bad boy rubber !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron

totally agree with ron.  the 68-70 b body 8 3/4 is narrower than a 70-74 E body rearend i believe and I did a spring perch relocation on one of those to fit in my 72 Charger.  it fit, but a little close to the leaf springs for my comfort.  do the spring relocation kit and you will be alot happier.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander