News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wasps

Started by GN, October 23, 2009, 05:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN

I am having trouble with wasps coming in the house. I plugged the gap where I think they been coming threw. Do they leave a trail for others to follow? Killed 8 in the last 2 days.

LeadfootBob

Simple solution:
1: Take a small coke bottle or similar beverage container.
2: cut the top off just where the cone/taper ends
3: add an inch or so of apple juice, coke, orange juice, etc. in the bottle. Anything with a boatload of sugar in it should work. Meat, in particular bad meat, will work in late summer as the queens will need proteins for their hibernation.
4: turn the aforementioned cone upside down and place it in the bottle. There should be a small distance between the "muzzle" of the cone and the surface of your chosen liquid.
5: tape the cone to the bottle.
6: place in an area where you want some privacy from our persistent little buzzing friends.

Works wonders, they walk right down the funnel  to drink and 90% of them can't find their way out afterwards. Be sure to empty this thing on a regular basis as the dying/dead wasps emit certain pheromones intended to keep their sisters from meeting the same fate.
Built a pair of these and placed them on the porch, had to empty them on an almost daily basis during high summer.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Tilar

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

CB

QuoteBe sure to empty this thing on a regular basis as the dying/dead wasps emit certain pheromones intended to keep their sisters from meeting the same fate.

To get rid of the wasp problem you'd need to find the nest and kill it from the inside.
Blocking an entry won't keep them out of your house. Wasp traps like descibed above is a good way to keep them away.
They sell biocidal products (powder) that the wasps take inside their nest.
You need to do this by evening twilight. Wasp can use their pheromones to alert the others.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Quote from: CB on October 25, 2009, 09:22:40 AM
Wasp can use their pheromones to alert the others.

Oooo! Big word! Not used to seeing those around here.

Dans 68

Quote from: bull on October 25, 2009, 08:18:35 PM

Sounds like a teramorphous comment to me....   :o   ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

my73charger

This trick really works.  I put these traps out every year.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Dans 68 on October 26, 2009, 03:33:43 AM
Quote from: bull on October 25, 2009, 08:18:35 PM

Sounds like a teramorphous comment to me....   :o   ;)

Dan

unless Bull is purposely tergiversating.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West