News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ok, so I bought a .com domain now what??

Started by mikepmcs, October 26, 2009, 05:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Bought 3 actually .com .net .org.  Someone point me in the right direction. Need to build a site for these 3 and publish it on the web.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Beer

Now you need to locate a "Hosting Service", then you point your domain to your host.  Passing through Brunswick? I can splain and show ya...Software helps as well.

Jim
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Arthu®

Ok getting the hosting service to point to your domain is the easy part. A slight more difficult thing is to choose which one. Which really depends on what you want to do. I am not sure what kind of sites you are launching or how you have developed them. Some hosting services might not be compatible with certain scripts, etc. If you haven't designed the site yet and have no experience with webdesign I would recommend getting a hosting service that has a good WYSIWYG editor (pretty sure that some here (like Troy) could recommend you one).

Now I'm curious, what kind of sites are you building?

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

mikepmcs

Thanks fellas.  I've actually had a site before with register.com and built it myself.  It was mainly for info/stats/pics of my little motorcycle race team.  Issue was I was paying like $34 a month or whatever to keep it. I just paid a total of $25 to godaddy for the 3(.com.net.org) for a year. I guess one of my questions is....can you find a host for very little money or free(web building software should be avail on the web I imagine).  I might just have to end up going to godaddy for the host as well(it's like $4 a month for a quickie and $9 a month for better, etc...) I do not know HTML and will be looking for wysiwyg.  Just wanted to see what everyone has to say that know a whole lot more than I.
Brainstorm so to speak.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Troy

GoDaddy is a registrar of course but they can host a site too (cheap). I've never used any of their tools though. There are a ton of places that offer cheap hosting but you get what you pay for in most cases. Check the internet for reviews before choosing. If you're going to be adding lots of pictures (or really large pictures) or videos to your site then be sure to read the fine print regarding file system and bandwidth limitations. Some places will basically shut your site off when a daily limit is reached but others will happily charge you for anything that goes over - usually at a rate much higher than your plan. Other things that may show up on the various plans are database availability and SSL certificates. It doesn't sound like you need either and you can always upgrade if necessary. I think most places have some sort of editor included these days.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Todd Wilson

Put a web and email server on a computer at your house and use tzo.com  service and host it at your house via your dsl or cable.

Todd

451-74Charger

Godaddy will host for free with every new purchase
I just bought Classicandcollectorcar.com(anyone want to buy it from me  :icon_smile_big:)

0X01B8

I use hypermart.net.  I write my own HTML but they've got lots of tools and shit - $4/month.  My sites aren't that popular, but they see some regular traffic and I never come anywhere close to exceeding my bandwidth or disk space.   Just throwing a name out there.

-john

mikepmcs

Quote from: Troy on October 26, 2009, 01:42:18 PM
If you're going to be adding lots of pictures (or really large pictures) or videos to your site then be sure to read the fine print regarding file system and bandwidth limitations.

That's all it's going to be.  :lol:

Thanks for the responses, keep em coming. :2thumbs: :cheers:

472 R/T SE

I put our club's website together using a wysiwyg from Lunarpages.   Just 69 Chris turned me on to them.