News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you think she's worth?

Started by teamroth, October 21, 2009, 09:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teamroth

I emailed the owner on the 69 440 4 speed. We have just been casually chatting for now. He wants 12k, which to me seems way high. I think it's a 6-8k car. Just want to know what you guys think before I go off half cocked and insult Here's the ad, and I've added a few pics. He says I won't find another one this solid for the price. I disagree. Non-R/T.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1428611076.html

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

teamroth

I have a few more, I'll get them up. Chris, got a VIN for you too. XP29H98100892

The70RT

I would agree...6-8 is plenty for that. Looking at the pics it needs one quarter at least...probably a trunk floor too....then there is the vinyl top and the bottom of the car.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger440RDN

It looks solid but what about the frame rails & floor pans? The rails are the most important thing to worry about on these cars as far as rust. I wonder if the paint is original.

Last year I went to look at a 1970 Charger for sale, it had been painted and the interior was nice, but the frame rails were crumbling and I poked a screwdriver through the floor pan and torsion crossmember.  :rotz:

skip68

You saw CB's car and we snagged it for only $5k more than what this guy want's.   :yesnod:   CB's was running, driving and super solid.   This car has value but with the market in the toilet and the amount of work it needs I would say $10k tops if it's a factory 4spd car.   We need to see the trunk, frame rails and pull the carpet to see the floor.   Also, get in the trunk and look up for rust at the deck lid.    :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Cooter

The thing you are fighting when it comes to prices isn't the next guy in the States, it's over seas people that will gladly pay that if the want is great enough. While I think $12K is a little high for the condition, it IS a straight gear car which in some cases, means more $$ to some people...

The vinyl Top however is a definate turn off for me...(Just like convertible anything)...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

teamroth

Well here is the auction, I just now found it on the bag.
8 bids up to 6100. You can see all the pics. I can't see how it got to 6k that quick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Charger-440-4spd_W0QQitemZ120482254052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1c0d4d4ce4

Quote from: skip68 on October 21, 2009, 10:26:10 PM
You saw CB's car and we snagged it for only $5k more than what this guy want's.   :yesnod:   CB's was running, driving and super solid.   This car has value but with the market in the toilet and the amount of work it needs I would say $10k tops if it's a factory 4spd car.   We need to see the trunk, frame rails and pull the carpet to see the floor.   Also, get in the trunk and look up for rust at the deck lid.    :yesnod:

You are right about all that stuff. I know it needs sheet metal, but he told me I won't find a better car for this price. I beg to differ, it runs but barely. I wish him the best of luck, but I think it's a tough sale.

bull

No way that thing is worth $12k. It would be foolish to pay more than $7k for that IMO. Lemme ask you this, how much money do you have to spend and what exactly do you want?

skip68

Good point Cooter.   :cheers:    Right on the money.    This is why lots of these cars are going out of the country.  We won't pay that price but they will.   One way of looking at it is like this.   We all know in 5 years you will be mad because you passed on this car and you will say "I could have had a 440 4spd 69 Charger for $10,500"   I say $10.5k because that's what I think the seller will take for it.  If this is what you want and you plan on keeping it then really look at it.  And, if it's pretty solid make an offer but don't jump to quick as there are lots of deals out there.   Also think about what work it needs...   Can you do the work yourself, most of it or none at all ? ? ?   Like I said $10,500 if it's solid and complete would be my limit.    :2thumbs:    
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

:o   I take back what I just said about $10,500 as I just saw the auction pictures.   :rotz:   Look at the rust on the doors, deck lid has rust by the window, trunk is rust and I bet the frame rails are bad tooooooo.  I still see it selling for $10k or so but I think you should keep looking Thad.  :yesnod:    Walk away brother....   Chuck.............   

teamroth

I have to be honest, I don't think I will be mad in five years because I didn't get this car. I stick by my 6-8K. This car more than likely has a few hidden treasures lying in wait. Plus I have a brother in Vegas who is going to find me my 68 4speed.... :nana:
Thanks all for your help. i know I ask the WIW alot, most times it's because I'm interested, and always because i am curious and want to learn all the ins and outs.

skip68

Of the three 68's I've found out here in the desert, none of them are 4spd's.   Sorry.    :nana:   I do have a line on a 1970 426 HEMI engine and when I find out the price I'll let you know.    :scratchchin:    If I can't find a way to get it for myself.    :nana:

Charger440RDN

Is it just me or is the back seat floor pan soaked with water?  :o The entire floor looks like it is about to cave in from rust.

Dans 68

Quote from: skip68 on October 21, 2009, 10:57:01 PM
...Of the three 68's I've found out here in the desert, none of them are 4spd's.   Sorry.    :nana: ....

Chuck speaks truth. If you want to find a '68 4-speed you'll need to go to the coastal region...there are more knowledgeable (:D) people out here. :icon_smile_wink:  I know of a 383 4-bbl 4-speed up in Petaluma that needed (needs?) a good home.

Dan

P.S. Chuck, during your move did ya happen to come across that 2nd California plate?  :scratchchin:
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Todd Wilson

Its a tough call. Lot s of 69's for 6-8g's and they have to be winched on the trailer and are missing parts and pieces. Most are small block cars or missing the engines.

Todd

skip68

Sorry Dan, no plate yet.    :rotz:    When I talk to my brother this weekend I'll see if he has it.   

Finn

My 68 was much more of a pile than that at 8,000...that was in a better (for the seller at least) economy though.
Id agree at 10k tops. :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

CB

Quote from: skip68 on October 21, 2009, 10:26:10 PM
You saw CB's car and we snagged it for only $5k more than what this guy want's.   :yesnod:   CB's was running, driving and super solid.

I must say: this is the first car I really bonded with  :yesnod:
The skips helped me out big time with checking out the car, hosting me while I came over, etc
My car needs some work to be ready (currently doing front end rebuild) for next cruising season.
I gonna buy a Hurst shifter to get rid of the sloppy shifting.
My car is my baby, I am so glad I flew over and closed the deal!!!
And the way Chuck does the sales talk ....  :bow: :yesnod: :2thumbs:

Keep hunting, there should be better deals  :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

69DodgeCharger

I'd take a pass. You can get a lot better car for a another few thousand. Nice lighting and camera angles too, effectively "masking" how bad the rust really is. Besides as unemployment continues to surge well through 2010 into 2011 there will be a lot better cars at much better prices.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

RECHRGD

What's the deal with that passenger side rear view mirror??  That thing is sweet!! :smilielol:
13.53 @ 105.32

Lizey

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 22, 2009, 08:27:31 AM
What's the deal with that passenger side rear view mirror??  That thing is sweet!! :smilielol:

forget the mirror haha check out that spoiler
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

rt green

have to see the car in person to really make the 8 or 10 call. was going to go with a white vinyl top on the same green till i saw this car. I'll go with black
third string oil changer

PocketThunder

The 4-speed tranny hump doesnt look stock.   :scope:   Man there is a lot of rust hiding in every nook and cranny on that car.  I'd use my own experience and agree with the West Coast guys and say, travel to Cali to buy a car instead and you'll be way ahead in the long run.

You'd be better off in the long run buying this almost finished 69 RT 440 4-speed for $25,000.  Just for example.
:Twocents:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-1969-CHARGER-R-T-440-HP-CAR-W-REAR-SHOULDER-BELTS_W0QQitemZ120471590567QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1c0caa96a7&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nakita7

Keep looking.

69 Chargers aren't rare. There were lots produced. The problem is simply that, people that own them, don't want to sell them. When you DO find one for sale, it's overpriced because HE thinks they are so 'rare'. It's the dreaded "69 Charger Vicious Circle Pay-more Plan". I think you can find a better deal, personally... :Twocents: