News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Military issue 727?

Started by dodgecharger72, December 21, 2009, 05:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgecharger72

I have been contemplating what i want to put behind my 360. It has a 904 and my plan was to rebuild a SB 727. However, I recently discovered someone selling new in box Sb 727s for $400. The seller has three of them that he bought in a military auction a few years ago. I am assuming that these were meant for trucks. Would they work in my car? $400 for a ready to bolt in tranny is a really good deal, but $400 for a tranny that has to be rebuilt is not as good of a deal

thanks guys

b5blue

I think the tailpiece is not the same on a truck....RD will know.

Todd Wilson

The tailshaft on the big block trucks were shorter then a car big block 727.  I am  not sure on a small block setup. May also have to do with the 2 piece drive shaft on the longer trucks.

Also be aware they maybe 727's for 4x4 trucks. Dont know if those trucks had a seperate transfer case or bolted all together. That could be a problem for you also.

Todd

RD

IN MOST CASES, the military did not have 2WD trucks in their arsenal, unless it may have been air force.  AFAIK all army military dodge trucks were 4wd and due to this, the transmission will have the tailhousing to mate to a transfer case.

some BB trucks did have the long tailshaft (2WD versions only).  It will be a hit and miss.

most importantly is this, if they are NOS transmissions, the dodge pickup was last used in the military arsenal in the early and mid eighties.  the chevy 4x4 pickup took its place.  If a transmission has sat that long without a refreshining.. it NEEDS one.  All the seals have a high probability of being cracked and dryrotted, as well as gaskets.  Tarnish from old break in fluid could easily clog up the VB upon start up and then you will just have to take it out and refresh it again.

Personally, though novel, $400 for a transmission you have to tear down to ensure longevity is not as cost effective as you may think.

Good luck on your decision.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dodgecharger72

Thanks guys,
I think I'll pass on this one

Todd Wilson

Quote from: RD on December 21, 2009, 11:20:02 PM
some BB trucks did have the long tailshaft (2WD versions only).  It will be a hit and miss.

Probably has to do with a regular cab or club cab. Long trucks got the 2 piece drive shaft and short transmission. My truck has a long transmission but the first drive shaft has been cut down. My 76 small block truck had the single long shaft.

Todd