News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Confession ( I stole a 68 Coronet RT)

Started by The70RT, October 19, 2009, 05:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

(this should be in car guys discussion....sorry mods) (thanks Geno) Well it goes like this - I was selling a 70 Coronet body in the newspaper and a guy came over and bought it. The guy came back over a short time later and was driving it, he seemed pretty cool guy and we hung out together for a few years. He found mopars all the time and he calls and said hey can you help me pick up this 68 Coronet RT, I said sure. We went over to this house and the car was parked on a corner up by the back of the house. I looked at the car and the left rear quarter was hit hard but everything else looked fine. He had a 68 RT vert and could use the drive train etc. He had a 68 imperial at the time and was gonna pull it home with it. I offered my truck but he said naww we can pull it with the Imperial.....I said ok. It took some good jerks to free it from the spot but if finally came out of the ruts. He said hey you have lots of room at your house and could he dismantle it over there. I agreed. He also said If I helped strip it he would give me some goodies.

After we got the car I noticed the last time it was tagged was 1976 (this was 1981). The car was sitting there probably since then. So the car had only 50K on it, I said damn....maybe this one ought to be saved but he insisted on resurrecting this ragtop that was just a shell. It took us most of the week to dismantle pretty much everything that could be unbolted. Over the weekend we had some scrappers come by that I knew down the block and take the bare shell. Well it's a small world, that Monday a slew of detectives were at my house. I told them the story and they went to the guys house and said that I told them the story and he agreed and I was off the hook....I thought.

A few days later they show up and asked to look at all my cars, I said sure go ahead I have nothing to hide. I had my 70, another 70, 5 dusters and some fords and GMs too. I probably had at least a dozen cars total. I had just gotten this 72 duster a month or so before this and they were checking it out and said hey what's up with this? The car was in excellent shape and was painted B5 a couple years before I got it. I got a steal on it for like 200 because it needed front end work but I was driving it at the time (the place he took it too lied and said don't drive it it was dangerous, it wasn't....it needed an alignment). The sargent of stolen vehicles was there and said hey boy what's up with the rivets in the dash? I said like I know and went to look at it. Sure enough and I never noticed it when I got it.....he said can you prove it? I said hold on and told the ole lady to go get the title. I never registered it yet and was in the other guys name still. The date in the title was 1974 so this happened way back then for some reason. The sargent says either surrender the car of they were coming back with a warrant.

Well they never came back. The other guy was charged in vehicle theft and I was lucky nothing happened to me. The guy who owned the car said he bought it new and lost it in wet weather and wiped it out and the insurance totaled it and he bought it back. He was supposedly gonna fix it up someday. A couple years later I bought a rusty 73 340 duster and converted the 72 into a 340 clone. In the process I noticed the car was two different vehicles. The floor was re welded where the front meets the back and it was cut and the A pillars by the dash and you could barely tell. The also retained the original radiator support. Evidently the car had a hard rear end collision back in the day. I was wondering why this 6cyl car had a 8-3/4 in it when I got it. It also had the sharks tooth grill.

It was one of the only rust free dusters I ever owned and sold it after the 340 conversion for like 2 grand  :brickwall: I never did anything with the rivets. The scrappers down the road came by a while after that and said they were ok with me since he the other guy admitted all fault. They said if we knew he wanted a car to change everything over from he could have gotten this 68 runner that was rolled. They said hey you could put the Hemi in your Charger and I said how much? he says 700 for the whole car or 5 for the drive train.....well I didn't have 700 let alone 500 at the time :slap:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69bronzeT5

Great story! :2thumbs: Do you have any old pictures of your cars? :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

The70RT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 19, 2009, 05:28:22 PM
Great story! :2thumbs: Do you have any old pictures of your cars? :popcrn:

Only a few, my flood in my basement a couple years ago wiped them out  :'(

Armudster

Nice story, I'm glad he admitted his fault and you were of the hook, I have a similar story, but it happened at the beggining of this year, there is a good friend of us that once had a brazilian Charger, he totalled it about 6 years ago, a drunk driver crossed on the red light, and since the insurance companies here in Brazil don't cover older vehicles, he was really depressed and never had the opportunity to buy another car, but he always hang around us and help with whatever is that we are doing on our cars.
He truly loves Mopars, one time he wasn't with us and then we decided to raise some money and buy him a Dodge as a present, so we raised a lot of money since we managed to get help from 40 other friends, and we found this solid Dodge Magnum 79 (it's a brazilian model based on the A Body platform) it was fairly complete, we looked everywhere for the owner and then we found him, but the title was not in his name, so one of my friends that happens to be a cop, did a search on the name of the title, and found out it was from out of state, he called the guy to ask some questions, and he said it was his car, he tried to sell it but the check didn't cleared, and the guy already took the car, he tried to search for the guy or the car but never succeded, this was 5 years ago.
So my friend arrested the guy that claimed to be the owner, and then we took the car back to its rightfull owner, who was really happy to see his car after 5 years, he didn't sold the car to us, but he was so thankfull that he gave some money for our money raising, and 3 months later we found a car for my friend who was really happy and surprised, so we made 2 good deeds instead of one and we all were proud of what we've done.
  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

69charger2002

Quote from: The70RT on October 19, 2009, 05:04:11 PM
(this should be in car guys discussion....sorry mods) (thanks Geno) Well it goes like this - I was selling a 70 Coronet body in the newspaper and a guy came over and bought it. The guy came back over a short time later and was driving it, he seemed pretty cool guy and we hung out together for a few years. He found mopars all the time and he calls and said hey can you help me pick up this 68 Coronet RT, I said sure. We went over to this house and the car was parked on a corner up by the back of the house. I looked at the car and the left rear quarter was hit hard but everything else looked fine. He had a 68 RT vert and could use the drive train etc. He had a 68 imperial at the time and was gonna pull it home with it. I offered my truck but he said naww we can pull it with the Imperial.....I said ok. It took some good jerks to free it from the spot but if finally came out of the ruts. He said hey you have lots of room at your house and could he dismantle it over there. I agreed. He also said If I helped strip it he would give me some goodies.

After we got the car I noticed the last time it was tagged was 1976 (this was 1981). The car was sitting there probably since then. So the car had only 50K on it, I said damn....maybe this one ought to be saved but he insisted on resurrecting this ragtop that was just a shell. It took us most of the week to dismantle pretty much everything that could be unbolted. Over the weekend we had some scrappers come by that I knew down the block and take the bare shell. Well it's a small world, that Monday a slew of detectives were at my house. I told them the story and they went to the guys house and said that I told them the story and he agreed and I was off the hook....I thought.

A few days later they show up and asked to look at all my cars, I said sure go ahead I have nothing to hide. I had my 70, another 70, 5 dusters and some fords and GMs too. I probably had at least a dozen cars total. I had just gotten this 72 duster a month or so before this and they were checking it out and said hey what's up with this? The car was in excellent shape and was painted B5 a couple years before I got it. I got a steal on it for like 200 because it needed front end work but I was driving it at the time (the place he took it too lied and said don't drive it it was dangerous, it wasn't....it needed an alignment). The sargent of stolen vehicles was there and said hey boy what's up with the rivets in the dash? I said like I know and went to look at it. Sure enough and I never noticed it when I got it.....he said can you prove it? I said hold on and told the ole lady to go get the title. I never registered it yet and was in the other guys name still. The date in the title was 1974 so this happened way back then for some reason. The sargent says either surrender the car of they were coming back with a warrant.

Well they never came back. The other guy was charged in vehicle theft and I was lucky nothing happened to me. The guy who owned the car said he bought it new and lost it in wet weather and wiped it out and the insurance totaled it and he bought it back. He was supposedly gonna fix it up someday. A couple years later I bought a rusty 73 340 duster and converted the 72 into a 340 clone. In the process I noticed the car was two different vehicles. The floor was re welded where the front meets the back and it was cut and the A pillars by the dash and you could barely tell. The also retained the original radiator support. Evidently the car had a hard rear end collision back in the day. I was wondering why this 6cyl car had a 8-3/4 in it when I got it. It also had the sharks tooth grill.

It was one of the only rust free dusters I ever owned and sold it after the 340 conversion for like 2 grand  :brickwall: I never did anything with the rivets. The scrappers down the road came by a while after that and said they were ok with me since he the other guy admitted all fault. They said if we knew he wanted a car to change everything over from he could have gotten this 68 runner that was rolled. They said hey you could put the Hemi in your Charger and I said how much? he says 700 for the whole car or 5 for the drive train.....well I didn't have 700 let alone 500 at the time :slap:

so what ever happened to the guy that you helped steal the car? ever see him again? just curious if he got a slap on the wrist or did hard time.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

moparstuart

good thing I have never told you where I live dennis .   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

The70RT

Travis: The guy got probation and had to pay the car owner back. several years after that he came by in a moving truck. He was leaving town and needed gas money and tried to sell me an air compressor that I couldn't get when the money traded hands and I said  :lol: I don't think so. He also didn't pay his baby sitter before he left town. This lady was huge and every time she went to collect they wouldn't answer the door. One day she staked out the place and they got home and went inside. She knocked on the door and they wouldn't answer and she rammed the door and the whole door frame and all came crashing into the living room :o :laugh:

Stuart: You do drive the birdable to work sometimes. Is your 69 still sitting outside by your salvage shop  :D You also better be glad that that high dollar engine you sold me only had one bad injector. The last bad engine I bought from someone ended up in their driveway and his wife hit it while she was backing out and got hung up on it :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on October 20, 2009, 12:46:42 PM
Travis: The guy got probation and had to pay the car owner back. several years after that he came by in a moving truck. He was leaving town and needed gas money and tried to sell me an air compressor that I couldn't get when the money traded hands and I said  :lol: I don't think so. He also didn't pay his baby sitter before he left town. This lady was huge and every time she went to collect they wouldn't answer the door. One day she staked out the place and they got home and went inside. She knocked on the door and they wouldn't answer and she rammed the door and the whole door frame and all came crashing into the living room :o :laugh:

Stuart: You do drive the birdable to work sometimes. Is your 69 still sitting outside by your salvage shop  :D You also better be glad that that high dollar engine you sold me only had one bad injector. The last bad engine I bought from someone ended up in their driveway and his wife hit it while she was backing out and got hung up on it :icon_smile_big:
I got plenty of injectors , let me send you one . I dont wanna be on your hit list .

The70RT

No worries, I had one from the old motor...thanks brother.

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on October 20, 2009, 04:02:45 PM
oh yeah BTW you still owe me a core    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :nana:

The70RT

Quote from: moparstuart on October 20, 2009, 04:31:10 PM
oh yeah BTW you still owe me a core    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :nana:

It's laying out back with a hole in the side of it. I wish you would come and get it :laugh:

Blown70

Quote from: moparstuart on October 20, 2009, 04:31:10 PM

Careful stu... he may just drop it in your driveway is sounds like....hahahahha.

T