News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger with pistol Grip

Started by charger9, October 20, 2009, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger9

Hello I am a man from Norway and have finally got my first Charger and find this nice forum on the net.
This is my first topic on this forum and hope somebody in here can help me.
I would like to buy a pistol grip to my 68 charger with 440 and 4 speed transmission and no consol.
There is hurst shifter mechanism and a lever with a round black ball on top in the car now.
If I understand it right I need a Pistol grip to a 70 mod charger (part nr 5388585)
Will I also need to install shifter mechanism with control rods from a 70 mod charger and if so
will it fit right in my 68? Is it a difficult job to do this? :cheers:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Blown70

I believe the 70 were slip in styled. and the 69 had a bolt... I am certain the lindage is different I have had both.... just short on what is what.

You can drill a hole if you need. or LIKE you stated get them to match.

Really NOT a big deal to change the linages, you can do this..

Tom

Brock Samson

:2thumbs: Welcome to the site! we like pictures!  :shruggy:  :popcrn:

Dans 68

Yes, welcome to the site! And I'm assuming that your '68 4-speed is one of the more common R/T's, correct?  :D  LIke Brock mentioned, we do like pictures.  :cheers:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Troy

Yes, if you switch to the pistol grip handle you'll need a 70 shifter box as well. It's a one year only part and can be expensive. The arms are shorter to keep the handle (and your hand) from whacking into the dash. I'd think the rods are shorter too but I'm not positive. There are some other ways to modify things I'm sure but I don't know them. You may also want to contact Passon Performance or Brewer's to see what they've got.

I think you already have the coolest combination - non console Hurst in a 68 Charger R/T - so I wouldn't change a thing.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dans 68

Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2009, 09:34:38 AM
I think you already have the coolest combination - non console Hurst in a 68 Charger R/T - so I wouldn't change a thing.

Troy

Excellent point!  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

b5blue

Hemidog

Velkommen! Mange nordmenn på dette forumet!  :2thumbs:

Post some pictures!

charger9

Thanks for the advice to all of you so far.
Hope still to hear from anyone who have convert a 68 for using a pistol
grip handle. This handle is just so cool. It is not a R/T car I have but I am planning
to uppgrade it so it will be that some day. It is a clone and are original a 383 car but have
been uppgraded with a 440 engine. I have bad batteries in my camera but will post pics of the
car soon. ;)

Dans 68

You are very welcome. Good folks here.

Quote from: charger9 on October 21, 2009, 12:12:15 PM
...It is not a R/T car I have but I am planning
to uppgrade it so it will be that some day. It is a clone and are original a 383 car but have
been uppgraded with a 440 engine....

Is it an original 4-speed car?  :scratchchin: I'm kind of partial to the '68 383 4-speeds Chargers.... :yesnod:

Dan

charger9

I am not sure Dan if 4 speed is original, How can I figure out that? Must I have the broadcast sheet?
It has code letter G in vin code so then it was :icon_smile_wink: originally equipped with a 2 barrel 383.
It is a car i bougt on ebay. I got it 3-4 weeks ago. I dont know so much about the car yet.

Hemidog

Dans 68

Quote from: charger9 on October 21, 2009, 02:47:46 PM
I am not sure Dan if 4 speed is original, How can I figure out that? Must I have the broadcast sheet?
It has code letter G in vin code so then it was :icon_smile_wink: originally equipped with a 2 barrel 383.
It is a car i bougt on ebay. I got it 3-4 weeks ago. I dont know so much about the car yet.

Does the car have a fender tag? If so, and the first line, on the bottom of the tag, reads "XP  61  3 ...." then it is a 383 2-bbl 4-speed.  :cheers:

Dan

charger9

The bottom line on fender tag reads: XP29 61 5 43 520 161547.
Hello Hemidog I live in Kristiansand, and what about you? :yesnod:

Dans 68

Quote from: charger9 on October 21, 2009, 03:18:28 PM
The bottom line on fender tag reads: XP29 61 5 43 520 161547.
Hello Hemidog I live in Kristiansand, and what about you? :yesnod:

Then it was an original automatic, 383 2-bbl, assembly date May 20th, 1968 with 7.75 x 14" white sidewalls. Now, we still want to see pictures!   :2thumbs:

Dan

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2009, 09:34:38 AM
Yes, if you switch to the pistol grip handle you'll need a 70 shifter box as well. It's a one year only part and can be expensive. The arms are shorter to keep the handle (and your hand) from whacking into the dash. I'd think the rods are shorter too but I'm not positive.

:iagree:  I plugged a '70 B body pistol grip into the original mechanism on my '68 RR and my knuckles hit the dash on a hard shift. Changing to the '70 mechanism made it a pleasure to drive. I managed to use the original '68 rods with a little "tweaking".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger9

Thanks to both of you :2thumbs:
Hope I can find the parts I need on ebay. This is the easiest way for me to get
part. Many company wil not ship international.Anyway it will not be cheap
Pics of the car will come when I have charge the batteries
in my camera. maybe tomorrow  :icon_smile_wink:

Hemidog

I live in near Drammen, Buskerud.
There is another guy here, "suntech". He lives in Kristiansand and has a silver 68 he's planning on turning into a pro touring car.

If you're having problems with stubborn people not shipping international, or very big parts, just register at www.jetcarrier.com and get yourself an "adress" in the US  :2thumbs:

tecmopar

Welcome aboard, it is a very easy swap if you have the correct parts, the mechanism is special and a must have for this set up and mating the handle to the mechanism is just a matter of which one you get as the handle AND the mech. are available in both bolt in or slip in. I have what you need to do this so if your interested, PM me. I'm not afraid to ship overseas, good luck.

Tom .

charger9

charger9

Hello everybody in here who have asked for pics of my car. The pics I took was no good because there was not enough light in my garage so I send this link to ebay of the car before I got it. Hope this link works: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger_W0QQitemZ280374958319QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4147a658ef&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Dans 68

From the pictures, nice car!  :cheers:  You are going to have a lot of fun with it!  :2thumbs:

Dan

Hemidog

Nice car!  :2thumbs: Have you registered it yet? Mine too had rear disc brakes when I got it, and barely made it through the registration (thank god for dumbass inspectors).
Never seen that funky version of a bumblebee stripe before...  :scratchchin:

Let me know if you want to ditch that trunk interior  :icon_smile_big:

charger9

Hi, no I havent registered it yet. I will do that in the spring 2010 and not here in Kristiansand where I live.
They are to restrictive in my town.  ::) There are some things i will fix in the winter:
1. Headlight door will not open
2. Horn not working
3. signal switch( flasher) not working properly(engine sometimes stops when I switch to the left :o)
4. Missing backup light wiring harness.
5. Tach not working, I wish me a tic toc tach
6. Speedometer needle jumps up and down ( wire broken and stucks in the gauge)
7. I wish me a pistol grip handle instead of the original handle
8. will also do something with the exhaust. to much noise now( american thunder muffler)
   I have bought Delta Flow from summit. Got them today.Hope it helps a little bit. :cheers: