News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help please, Accessories powered up without key on

Started by Sublime/Sixpack, October 19, 2009, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime/Sixpack

The accessories on my '70 Charger have power to them with the key off. What is the most likely cause for this? Any ideas, guys?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

b5blue

Did this just happen or has it been this way? If it just happened the switch behind the key is rotating all the way off, it could be the switch or the lock set.  :shruggy:

Sublime/Sixpack

At first I thought the ignition switch may be defective but I disconnected the switch wiring harness at the steering column and plugged a new switch in and no change!  The problem exists even with the ignition switch wiring harness disconnected.

Here's what I've done so far:
-Disconnected the starter and ignition wiring harness at the steering column.
-Disconnected the turn signal wiring harness at the steering column.
-Disconnected the bulkhead connector for wipers, back up lights, etc.
-Disconnected the bulkhead connector for lighting.
-Still have bulkhead connector and fusible link for engine wiring connected but have disconnected all leads.

With the above done the radio and heater motor still have power. And there is also a slight draw on the battery.

I'm just not sure what would be the next most obvious component to look at.  :shruggy:

b5blue

Fuse block....this is where 12+ is distributed (mostly) there are also splices inside the harness that are not obvious, do you have a FSM? You can isolate circuits at the fuse block, have you a test light and ohms meter? I can look at my FSM's schematic this evening.   

Sublime/Sixpack

The fuse block was going to be my next step. Yes I have the FSM, test lamp, and meter. Just need to dig in deeper I guess. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

b5blue

Sublime/Sixpack

Problem solved. I took the screw out of the fuse block so I could turn it over to check the wires and connectors on the backside and I found that the blue wire off the Accessory fuse was making contact with the battery feed connector. Those connectors have SHARP corners!  Had the factory routed that wire with a little more slack, or angled the battery feed connector out a bit more this would never had happened.  ::)

I'm glad it turned out to be something simple. I don't especially like working under the dash on cars!

Thanks b5blue for your input.  :2thumbs: