News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The nightmare can start

Started by Belgium R/T -68, July 18, 2009, 05:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

She's ready for surgery....are you!  :2thumbs:

mopar73

Good luck, just remember were all counting on you :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Belgium R/T -68

It's done :icon_smile_big: I will come back with moore pictures and findings once it's dried and cut. thanks anyway for the support. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

mopar73

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 21, 2009, 11:51:21 AM
It's done :icon_smile_big: I will come back with moore pictures and findings once it's dried and cut. thanks anyway for the support. :2thumbs:

Per
It looks like your wife does a fine job :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

69*F5*SE

Looks fantastic Per.  Great job.   :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Foreman72

all these vinyl threads make me even more happy that i only have a quarter top :yesnod:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

b5blue

Belgium R/T -68

Today I continued with trimming of all vinyl not needed and removing all maskingstripe/tejp(??) which took moore time then yesterdays
installation. :eek2:

Some findings I have after doing this for the first time:

Extremely important to pack in the complete car because the 3M sprayglue gets everywhere, I'm lucky I did it.
Finding the center on the roof is a little bit tricky in the rear but used the rear windowopening and driprail to driprail.
I ironed the VT before laying it, got out the worst wrinkles.
I underrestimated the difficulty to cover the vinyl already installed to avoid getting glue sprayed over it, went better after a while.
Glue on the vinyl goes away with a cloth with some water.
Easier to take bigger parts at the time on the top.
We only used a clean, dry white cloth to press the vinyl to the roof. No special tools and no hairdryer needed.
The last bubbles I got out hours after I was finnished, the moore the glue hardens the better you get the bubbles out.
Don't forget to mark where the holes are for the trim and reveals for the windowtrim!!!!!
My car didn't have a vinyltop so I checked pics everywher to know how to mask off.

I do think though that the biggest challenge is ahead, to get the driprailmolding over the seam on the A-pillar. :eek2:

Per

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

68r/t

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 22, 2009, 01:53:33 PM
Today I continued with trimming of all vinyl not needed and removing all maskingstripe/tejp(??) which took moore time then yesterdays
installation. :eek2:

Some findings I have after doing this for the first time:

Extremely important to pack in the complete car because the 3M sprayglue gets everywhere, I'm lucky I did it.
Finding the center on the roof is a little bit tricky in the rear but used the rear windowopening and driprail to driprail.
I ironed the VT before laying it, got out the worst wrinkles.
I underrestimated the difficulty to cover the vinyl already installed to avoid getting glue sprayed over it, went better after a while.
Glue on the vinyl goes away with a cloth with some water.
Easier to take bigger parts at the time on the top.
We only used a clean, dry white cloth to press the vinyl to the roof. No special tools and no hairdryer needed.
The last bubbles I got out hours after I was finnished, the moore the glue hardens the better you get the bubbles out.
Don't forget to mark where the holes are for the trim and reveals for the windowtrim!!!!!
My car didn't have a vinyltop so I checked pics everywher to know how to mask off.

I do think though that the biggest challenge is ahead, to get the driprailmolding over the seam on the A-pillar. :eek2:

Per

The  vinyl top cars have diffrent front pillar trims to suit the seam on the vinyl top,  I bought a set that was to suit a non vinyl car and they did not fit good at all.
I then got a set off a vinyl top car and fit great, they are a little wider where the seam is.

mike337

I am at the same point now of trying to get the drip rail trim over the newly installed top.  I does not seem to want to cooperate with me.  I know I have the right trim, because it was originally a vinyl top car, and I removed the trim.  Any tricks to getting it back on such as soap or silicon, before I take a rubber mallet to it and end up denting the trim? :smilie_help:

Mike

bull

Quote from: Foreman72 on July 21, 2009, 01:40:17 PM
all these vinyl threads make me even more happy that i only have a quarter top :yesnod:

And I'm that much more happy than you to not have one at all. :yesnod: