News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hood pad

Started by billssuperbird, February 02, 2011, 03:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

dreamcatcher

I am right there with you...I was going to but I havent really seen even the original birds with one..  :popcrn:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

68X426

Looks better without. :Twocents:

It seems completely random which cars had them originally. Whether it was a factory upgrade/option or a dealer install, there doesn't seem to be a pattern, so it would "authentic" either way. Maybe. :popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

BigBlockSam

i've been told that they hold moister  :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Richard Cranium

I am Dr. Remulac

Aero426

I would leave it off.

maxwellwedge

Was J55 undercoating an option on a Bird? If so it would have included a hood pad. It did with every other car anyway.

stripedelete

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

62 Max

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 02, 2011, 05:37:46 PM
Was J55 undercoating an option on a Bird? If so it would have included a hood pad. It did with every other car anyway.

Both were undercoated,both came from original owners,neither one ever had/has a hood pad. :scratchchin:

pettybird

odd..  my friend here has a J55 'bird and he has his original pad.

I think they're a good idea, but the repops look like crap and they fall apart immediately.  No pad. 

FJ5WING

My car was originally equipted with one but since it was falling off I ripped it off the first day I had the car home.

I never gave any thought to not putting a new one on when I get to that point, but I dont like the repops too much.......maybe I will leave it off then make my decision...then again Ill have one of the few WITH one. :nana:
wingless now, but still around.

maxwellwedge

Keep those original clips! You can poke an eye out with the crappy re-pop clips when they go flying trying to put them in!!!   :lol:

limelightsuperbird

If the hood pad touches any part of the air cleaner assembly, it will end up scuffing the paint and any decals from the slight engine movements during operation. It will not hold any moisture. If it were to get wet engine heat and air flow would dry it very quickly. I don't think it would get wet anyway.  I would run it  to protect the hood paint from engine heat, I never worried about the slight wear to my paint and decal. If  it won't touch your air cleaner I would use one for sure. It is very easy to remove for any reason if you wanted.  Details, Details.
Birdman 
          Superbird 528 Hemi 5-speed  3.73 axle
          1970 Satellite 440 4-speed 4.10 axle
          1974 Challenger Rally 383 auto
          1999 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
          1960 Imperial Le Baron
          1966 Coronet
          1958 Cadillac
          1968 Cadillac flower car
          1969 Cadillac Deville Convertibles
          1969 Cadillac Devilles
          1998 GMC Dually 
          1978 Tubbed Buick Regal T-type
          1985 Cadillac Eldo. Touring Cpe

Arnie Cunningham

My car J98355 - factory undercoating, no evidence of ever having had a hood pad.  I asked the original owner about this and he did not remember one being there.
All Wald's car J98354 - factory undercoating, has factory pad.

These cars are identical in every tiny detail other than interior/exterior color.

I believe this is one of those "it was supposed to" issues (like 6 pack heat riser stoves) that often got overlooked.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

billssuperbird

thanks for all your help. i am going to leave it off. :2thumbs:

charge-it

I bought a molded hood pad for my 68 Charger and have yet to install it. The reflection of the engine in the hood paint when the hood is open is so nice I just couldn't cover it up.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

billssuperbird