News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Barrett Jackson

Started by Landonsrt, October 10, 2009, 10:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landonsrt

Anyone see John Schneider try to hock his GL again. Got up on the roof and tried to sing the theme song to the show. The car only sold for $230,000 this time. WAY short of the last time.

c00nhunterjoe

didnt watch it, but my uncle is there! sadly he is looking for a chevelle but perhaps he will get me some pictures.

OneofNoneRT

Saw it.. 230K for a General.. Is pretty good if you think about it.. The Super Rare cobra went for only 400K .. Looks like all prices were down.. 
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

Landonsrt

Yeah that cobra should have gone for more. Hope he gets some good pics!

OneofNoneRT

Hec..I think Lenos bike was a good deal.. Tour his garage.. and set and a spot on his show..
Im not a ferd Guy but the Shelby/Prudohme Super Snake was a steal as well.. Have Don Prudohme take you to the track and show you how to drive.. Man! What is that worth??
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

472 R/T SE

I came in on the ending of the Gennie Lee sale.  Was this a different GL from the last one he sold down there?  

If not, then he was apparently promoting it for the new owner from last year's sale?

The buyer looked like the winner of last year's auction.  :shruggy:

Amazes me what people will pay to own something built/owned by someone famous.  :o

Where was Ron Pratt this year?

Charger440RDN

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 10, 2009, 11:47:27 PM

He had to file bankruptcy and sell his collection, he is now living at the Salvation Army becuase of the down economy  :smilielol: :smilielol: Seriously does that dude really need to buy any more cars?  :eyes: his collection has to rival Jay Leno's by now.

Landonsrt

I came in on the ending of the Gennie Lee sale.  Was this a different GL from the last one he sold down there?  

If not, then he was apparently promoting it for the new owner from last year's sale?

The buyer looked like the winner of last year's auction.  :shruggy:

Amazes me what people will pay to own something built/owned by someone famous.  :o

Its the same car as last year. The guy that bought it last year has been trying to sell it for the half a million that he paid for it. NO SUCH LUCK!

dodgecharger-fan

If he ended up buying it back, he's deeper in the hole now. Sure he just pays the buyer's premium and the sales commission, but that's not chump change.
Still, he's got to figure that paying that out is better than losing $270,000+commission if he let it go for $230,000.

It's an ugly game to play these days.

charger_cody

I think its Barret Jacksons that is ruining our hobby. 230k for a GL. Rediculous  even if it was owned by someone famous. Watch i bet some guy that lives in the boondocks that has cable watched that show and says "WOW that charger went for 230k, mine has to be worth 50k"

Cody

Bill Howell

Pratt is always at Scottsdale, in January, not Vegas.
Bill Howell

Landonsrt

Quote from: charger_cody on October 11, 2009, 11:12:07 AM
I think its Barret Jacksons that is ruining our hobby. 230k for a GL. Rediculous  even if it was owned by someone famous. Watch i bet some guy that lives in the boondocks that has cable watched that show and says "WOW that charger went for 230k, mine has to be worth 50k"

Cody

I agree. Although they hardly EVER have a charger go across the block. Ive only seen GL's.

charger_cody

Quote from: Landonsrt on October 11, 2009, 02:29:01 PM

Cody

I agree. Although they hardly EVER have a charger go across the block. Ive only seen GL's.

I have seen one or two that went for like 60-100k. And they didnt look straight. Idk. I think barret jacksons will be the end to muscle cars overall. They are just raising the prices of all. Then people are going to start thinking that what they have is amazing.

Cody

Charger440RDN

If anything Barrett Jackson is helping to save Chargers and other muscle cars. The reason is that everyone with a rusted out hulk or pile of junk is not just going to send it to the junkyard anymore. they will spend money trying to restore it because they think it's worth something. Think about it, how many muscle cars do you even see sitting in the junkyard anymore? Almost none, and the junkyards that do have a 69 Charger or 70 Chevelle Malibu will just let it sit there before they crush it, all because of these auctions.

Dodge Don

I don't see how cars selling for what some consider as too much is bad for the hobby. Certainly it isn't great for folks who cannot afford the cars but no one is entitled to own them anyways. If someone pays $230k for a GL then the car is worth $230k because a buyer paid it.  :shruggy:

Charger440RDN

In the real world that General is not worth close to $230,000 but Barrett-Jackson is not the real world price wise. That car might bring $100,000 on Ebay, MIGHT and thats just because an actor use to own it.

73chgrSE

Did anyone else notice the strange timing of the phone call Steve Davis took in the middle of selling that cobra? that was a "bail out call" made because they weren't getting the $$ they wanted.

41husk

The call was strange, but as for the GL, you didn't see Shelby jump on the hood or slide across the paint to get in.  I wonder how many of the GL owners on this site woukd let Schnieder stand on there car or slide in the window and hop back out? :scratchchin: Are the guy's paying 230K for this car really car guys? :shruggy: I think the other cars are quality cars not drivers :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Bill Howell

Cody

I can not agree here. I have been to BJ in Scottsdale four times. Trust me, the cars there are not the same as the ones in a barn. The only thing they have in common is they all were new at one time. Just because someone has money doesn't make them stupid. People that buy cars there are car guys for the most part and know what they are buying. The reason some cars sell cheap there is because they are polished t><ds, and people there know it. You don't take a $10K car, wax it and sell it out there for $200K. Now, some people, we have all heard this looking at cars, will think their junk is worth 2/3s what they saw something similar sell at BJ but that is their stupidity and you can not fix stupid.
IMO, anything that helps our hobby and boosts values is a good thing. The market will correct itself if things get out of line, but quality cars are always worth the money.

As for the GL, geez, how many times JS going to Pimp "the last one"?? :coolgleamA:
Bill Howell

451-74Charger

My Questions,
They say these cars no longer have a reserve, but I am sure there is a "soft minimum" that the seller can set.
Anyone know for sure?
What happens if a seller backs out because the car isnt making the $$$, is that an option before the hammer falls?

Landonsrt

I agree that BJ is not bad for the classic car scene. It does inflate the price of some cars. But the market has shown how that can change. Just 4 years ago a Hemi Cuda all matching would go for around $400K. Now, under $200k. I think it sucks that they cant have a reserve on the car. Just like the GL. Since it went for less than Half of what the last guy paid for it! Guess it makes for better TV.

I wonder when they are going to sell GL #1 that was just rebuilt? The original jump car in the opening credits.

Cooter

I don't watch BJ auctions cause it's TV..Glorified for the masses as to watch a few rich guys fight and spend money that the average "Car guy" will never see in a lifetime..I do think that the "flippers" that get into the hobby looking to make BJ money off polished turds are whats killing the hobby for the newcomers....I mean, how many times have you guys seen a rusty Charger or whatever sitting at a local guys house you've known about for years, and it finally sold for something like $1000.00...
Then, in the next week, without ANYTHING being done to it to make it worth more money, sold for $2000.00...Then, resold for $2500.00 and so on...This same $1000.00 Car will now cost the person that's in it for the cars and NOT the money $2500.00....I was lucky enough to come along at a time when you could still actually buy one of these cars for a resonable amount of money and the owner could even make a few bucks, but today, everybody is trying to make a killing off these cars and if they can't, they simply will sit on it until they do find an idiot looking to spend his entire retirement on the car...To me, there are only TWO reasons for getting into this hobby....1. For the cars...2. For the money...You can be a car guy in both areas, but Don't expect me to condone the latter either...We have all known at least one guy at the local cruise night/car show that constantly buys and resell cars..HIGH END cars, and never messes around with a plain jane Dodge Dart 6 cyl. car, but the HEMI Dart...Every time you see him, he's bought and sold into a different car, meanwhile your still working on your old, beat up, ratty, '68 DodgeDart, with a slant 6 cause your in it for the cars..On the other hand, it is nice to know that if you ever had to sell the car, it will be worth much more than you paid/invested, but some DWELL on this area way too much instead of enjoying the car..People ask me all the time "Do you think you'll ever get your money out of it?" I simply reply "Well, I didn't build the car for the purpose of selling it so it doesn't matter to me if I do I do, but if not, then so be it"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bill Howell

Quote from: 451-74Charger on October 12, 2009, 09:37:12 AM
My Questions,
They say these cars no longer have a reserve, but I am sure there is a "soft minimum" that the seller can set.
Anyone know for sure?
What happens if a seller backs out because the car isnt making the $$$, is that an option before the hammer falls?

I absolutely promise you there is no reserve, period. That is the beauty of this type auction, as a buyer you are assured you win if you are the last to bid. Having gone to all the big auction houses, this is the only one I feel is above board. The others play games with reserves, shill bids, etc. I know for a fact that if you as a seller shill bid at BJ, and they know it, you will be asked not to come back. PLUS, if you did bid it back in, you would be paying buyer fee, seller fee (combined would be 18%), tax on your own car, unless you ship it back home. They have made it where you don't want to bid it back anyway, too costly. There is no backing out, a doctor tried that three years ago with a Cuda Drag car, and he actually chained the car to a post to keep the buyer from getting the car after the sale. Lets just say the judge was not impressed and spanked him pretty good in court.
Bill Howell

Charger440RDN

Anybody know how many Chargers were sold at the auction?

ChgrSteve67

lexxman

I was wondering that,I only saw the GL.And that was a different gGL then last year.Why  is there rarely any charger up for auction?Is it that know one what to get rid of them or what. :shruggy:

Charger440RDN

Quote from: lexxman on October 13, 2009, 09:28:38 PM
I was wondering that,I only saw the GL.And that was a different gGL then last year.Why  is there rarely any charger up for auction?Is it that know one what to get rid of them or what. :shruggy:

I was wondering about the small number of Chargers at these auctions too. I guess it's a good thing you don't see Chargers selling for $300,000 on a regular basis, it gives people with regular incomes a chance to own one.  :lol:

charger_cody

I honestly think its because people ussually rebuild the cars to sell on there and other cars sell a bit easier. Like a cuda or chally or a-bodies and e-bodies.

Cody

Mikesmoparperformance

What so real about it yes the owner is john schneider it self,  yes it a has hemi but it just a 69 charger
not worth 230.000 dollar or 500.000!!! :brickwall:
If it was a Daytona oke Hemi cuda Oke
But this no way. :brickwall:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

lexxman

Ya,I don't know,Id maybe spend that kind of money if my bank account was as big as some of the bidder.

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I remember that Hemicuda drag car guy from Michigan trying to back out. For some reason he thought that since the Super rare 70 Chevelle LS-6 Convertible drag car got over a Million that his car should of too, NOT. :brickwall: :shruggy:  LEON.

TUFCAT

Barret Jackson just "Out Lawyered" the doctor from Michigan.....it doesn't mean he was in the wrong. BJ has an on-staff legal group, which are likely so well greased, that they are in the "back pockets" of all the judges in Scottsdale. You would be a fool to go up against their in house legal council on anything!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 41husk on October 11, 2009, 08:08:22 PM
I wonder how many of the GL owners on this site woukd let Schnieder stand on there car or slide in the window and hop back out? :scratchchin:

I would if I had a General Lee......then again, only slide in the window. Standing on the car is a :nono:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Bill Howell on October 12, 2009, 03:16:51 PM
Quote from: 451-74Charger on October 12, 2009, 09:37:12 AM
My Questions,
Anyone know for sure?

Having gone to all the big auction houses, this is the only one I feel is above board. The others play games with reserves, shill bids, etc. I know for a fact that if you as a seller shill bid at BJ, and they know it, you will be asked not to come back.

You are kidding right? Good One!  :rofl:

Landonsrt

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 16, 2009, 06:21:47 PM
Quote from: 41husk on October 11, 2009, 08:08:22 PM
I wonder how many of the GL owners on this site woukd let Schnieder stand on there car or slide in the window and hop back out? :scratchchin:

I would if I had a General Lee......then again, only slide in the window. Standing on the car is a :nono:

Well, at least he took his shoes off.

Ghoste

Quote from: Bill Howell on October 12, 2009, 03:16:51 PM
Having gone to all the big auction houses, this is the only one I feel is above board. The others play games with reserves, shill bids, etc. I know for a fact that if you as a seller shill bid at BJ, and they know it, you will be asked not to come back.

If you feel B-J is the only one that is above board and they don't play shill games, you haven't been paying attention.  As an employee of one of Craig Jacksons competitors I will openly admit my personal bias but I would also offer that having spent some years now traipsing around car auctions and attending several of the other guys shows as well, that I have gained a little insight to the goings on myself and the Barrett-Jackson reality circus isn't up for sainthood. :icon_smile_wink: :Twocents: