News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Louvers for 2nd Gen. rear windows?

Started by b5blue, October 08, 2009, 07:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I could swear when I was a kid (15 in 1970) that second gen Chargers could have the black aluminum rear window louvers (aftermarket) like the Challenger/Barracuda and Mustangs had. I'd really like to have them to help with the brutal Florida sunshine down here! I have yet to even see a photo from "back in the day" with any though?  :scratchchin: Am I just going nuts?   

Charger440RDN

I've always hated those things but everybody has different tastes.  :lol: I know I have seen them on the 3rd gen chargers but never seen any on a second gen.

b5blue

Yea it's not about looks, the cars I've been in with them it helped with the heat, you can fry eggs on my package shelf in the summer!  :eek2:

Charger440RDN

Quote from: b5blue on October 08, 2009, 07:30:40 PM
Yea it's not about looks, the cars I've been in with them it helped with the heat, you can fry eggs on my package shelf in the summer!  :eek2:

What about 5% tinted windows? that would be cheaper and look better too. My brother has 5% tint on his car and it really keeps the sun out.

b5blue

METROID

Yeah I have seen these twice on a second gen. Last time was in an ebay picture. Some guy was selling a 1968 Mud Buggy (I think the body and frame were the only things mopar left on it, very ugly metal plating where the grille should be  :rotz:) and parked next to it he had a 1969 Mud Buggy with louvers. I thought I saved the picture but I can't find it anywhere now  :shruggy: .

Charger440RDN

Louvers on a 2nd gen?..... :puke:

I would definitely do the window tint, the 5% tint isn't hard to see out of and it wouldn't alter the looks of the car like the hideous louvers would.  :eek2:

METROID

I always loved the louvers on the 1970 Cuda but was not sure about Chargers. I actually didn't think it looked bad at all on the Charger. I have to admit though one of the best things about the second Gens are the sail panels and that great recessed window. I am planning on going with a tint myself in a few months, I agree it looks much better and preserves the look.

Finn

There was a silver 1970 charger that had those...it was also was a lifted 4x4 with a snow plow in front. It had its own thread on here somewhere...
I think depending on the rest of the build you could pull it off. It could be really wild. Im thinking flat black with nascar flared wheel well openings, wide base tires, lowered, 500 grille, plated over valence panel, caged, netted windows, chin spoiler, and some sort of spoiler for the back. :scratchchin: If only I was better with photoshop...
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bull

I don't even like them on the Cudas :P so on a 2nd gen Charger they'd really look like @$$ IMO.

rick.d

I know a guy that was selling some at a swap meet last summer. I think he got them from jc whittney back in the late 70"s. I will see if i can find his phone number this weekend.

Mike DC

The fastback 1969/70 Mustangs wear them pretty well.  But IMHO there has never been a Mopar that pulls them off. 

b5blue

Thanks Rick D..... :2thumbs: If you guys saw my car you would understand it's not an issue for me on looks....my semi trim-stripped, rust holed, part epoxy primer, old paint, no interior 70 Charger will not miss first place at a car show if I use one.  :smilielol:

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jaak

I don't think I've ever seen a 2nd gen with louvers.....I'd like to see a pic  :scratchchin:

Also as far as tinting goes, I'm not a big fan of that. My 73 had dark tinted windows on the sides and back, one of the first things I done after buying it was pulling/cleaning all the tint off the windows. Just my personal preference.

Jason

challenger70

Quote from: jaak on October 09, 2009, 08:55:36 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a 2nd gen with louvers.....I'd like to see a pic  :scratchchin:

Also as far as tinting goes, I'm not a big fan of that. My 73 had dark tinted windows on the sides and back, one of the first things I done after buying it was pulling/cleaning all the tint off the windows. Just my personal preference.

Jason

alot of that can also have to do with the quality of tint, my daily looks nice but I had it done professionally w/ quality tint.  My Charger came with some real "do it yourself for $5" junk on it and looked horrible.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

68 RT

I think in the 70's they made after market louvers for everything. Just check out an old jc whitney catalog.  ;)

GreenMachine

Quote from: Finn on October 09, 2009, 01:05:54 AM
There was a silver 1970 charger that had those...it was also was a lifted 4x4 with a snow plow in front. It had its own thread on here somewhere...
I think depending on the rest of the build you could pull it off. It could be really wild. Im thinking flat black with nascar flared wheel well openings, wide base tires, lowered, 500 grille, plated over valence panel, caged, netted windows, chin spoiler, and some sort of spoiler for the back. :scratchchin: If only I was better with photoshop...

Here it is.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

jdiesel33

There are just no words to describe that 4x4 "Charger".
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

Neal_J

moparstuart

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46359.0.html     check out this thread you will get really sick when you find out its on a chevy blazer frame and 350 chevy powered .    :eek2:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dodgecharger-fan

Ya know, as much as I wouldn't want to do that, if ya have to plow snow, why not do it in style?  :rofl:

Charger440RDN

b5blue

WOW! 4X4 WTF? Thanks for posting photos, so they DID make louvers.  :yesnod:

Chargerfreak

Don't know if it's a Charger specific louvre in the pic.. Looks like it doesn't fit that nice..
Maybe it's a multi-fit piece?

Chris.