News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauging interest in a group wheel buy. Magnums, ralleys, Warrior, etc. *UPDATE**

Started by bull, October 07, 2009, 09:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'll start off with a disclaimer saying I have no idea if this will fly, however, I have a neighbor who works at Specialty Wheel and I'm planning to ask about the possibility of giving us a DC.com discount on their Mopar reproduction wheels. They also carry a wide range of classic Chevy, Ford, Buick, etc., for you closet X-brand guys as well as accessories such as center caps and trim rings. Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is a good time for people to blow this kind of money on wheels. I suppose any time is a good time for a discount but I would imagine they would like to see some kind of minimum order before they commit. Like I said though, I don't know if this will happen or how but I'd like to get some idea if it's worth trying.

Here's the link to Specialty: http://www.specialtywheelsltd.org/chrysler-wheels.html

1969chargerrtse

The double edge swords. I would love a new set as mine wobble a bit. Problem is, I got no extra money. Times are hard for most of us.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

I just bought used Rallyes for my Duster back in July. However, I need center caps for them. I'd participate but I don't plan on buying them until January when I get a fair amount of $.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

It's kind of a tough one compared to some of the more necessary items we buy during a restoration. In reality we can run a set of used chrome modulars if we have to until the extra money is there. No doubt we all would like new reproduction wheels but compared to an interior or engine parts discount a wheel discount is not going to be nearly as popular.

When my neighbor returns from Vegas I'll talk to her about it anyway and see what they might be willing to do. I kind of doubt they'll get too excited about it but we'll see.

triple_green

I always buy their "blems". They are 20-30 a wheel cheaper and I can never find the blem.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

bull

Quote from: triple_green on October 08, 2009, 03:19:38 PM
I always buy their "blems". They are 20-30 a wheel cheaper and I can never find the blem.

I saw that on their website and it sounds like a good deal to me too. But do the blems still carry a warranty?

ChgrSteve67

I will be interested if they don't charge a small fortune for shipping.

Daytona R/T SE

I'd love to buy a set of their "Warrior" 69 recall wheels for my Daytona clone...

But the discount would have to be significant.

For $2000 + a set those wheels are awfully expensive.

derailed

As always my timing is off. I just bought a set of 4 new magnums for my car through summit. Im happy with them so far. Be interesting to see how the finish holds up in a few years.

bull

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 08, 2009, 11:05:59 PM
I'd love to buy a set of their "Warrior" 69 recall wheels for my Daytona clone...

Yes, they charge waaaaaay too much for those. I'm not sure why they charge 4x more than Magnums other than the Magnums aren't Mopar specific. But then the rallye wheels are Mopar specific and they don't cost as much as the Magnums. :shruggy: I guess they charge that much because they can. I don't think anyone besides Specialty makes the recall wheels.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

moparstuart

I would love to have a set for my 500 also but that price is just out of sight .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dodgecharger72

I would absolutely be interested in this but it would probably be 4-5 months before I am ready to buy wheels

triple_green

HI Curtis,

I have not idea about a warranty on the blems I guess we would just have to ask. My original set is 9+ years old now and still look pretty good, except there I got brake fluid on them and where the neighbor's dog pee'd on them. Very little rust. I do occasionally drive my car in the rain and it is in a carport not a temp controlled garage.

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Belgium R/T -68

Count me in for a set of Magnums if you can store them untill I can fix a containershipment. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

six-tee-nine

Hell, i'd say yeah too for a set, but I'm still a long way from needing wheels and I can't seem to make up my mind on what I want.... :eyes:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bull

Today I spoke with Kelly South, Director of Sales and marketing at Specialty Wheel, and he told me he can work something out for us that sounds like it will be pretty good. I've started a new thread in the Group Buys section and explain it all there (link below). :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62609.msg698530.html#msg698530

bull

Is 25% off significant enough? ;)

HeavyFuel

25% is significant. :yesnod: 

Are they pretty fair on the shipping charges?

bull

I imagine they charge standard shipping rates based on size and weight but I see they do have a $3.50 per wheel handling fee. :shruggy:

68charger383

What is the difference between Magnum and Road Wheels?

Which is factory correct for a 68?

Thanks for hooking us up Bull.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

I was afraid someone was going to ask that because I don't have a 100% solid answer. However, what I think the difference is is that the Road Wheels have a beauty ring while the Magnums have just a chrome barrel (even though the pictures on Specialty's site both show trim rings). If you look at the descriptions written in red under the wheel pics you'll see that the Road Wheels come with trim rings and the Magnums don't. The Road Wheels came on later Mopars so your '68 would have the Magnums, not Road Wheels. I can take a picture of the Magnums they sell if you want because I bought one of their 15X7 blems today to finish off my set.

bull

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: bull on October 12, 2009, 06:50:05 PM

Is 25% off significant enough? ;)

Yes, Yes it is... :think: