News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauging interest in a group wheel buy. Magnums, ralleys, Warrior, etc. *UPDATE**

Started by bull, October 07, 2009, 09:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khodne

Balanced by the holes.  I'm very happy with how they look.

69*F5*SE

Balanced by the lug holes?   Never knew of this, how does it get done?    :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on March 22, 2010, 02:16:37 PM
Balanced by the lug holes?   Never knew of this, how does it get done?    :shruggy:

All two-piece wheels (like most at Specialty) are lug-centric which means they need to be spin balanced by the lug holes, not the hub. I assume this is due to the manufacturing process of two-piece wheels where the centers are built flush with the lug holes and the process of welding them into the rims which goes off that. As far as balancing, khodne can probably answer this better but I think the tire shops use a simple adapter to attach the wheel to the balancer by the lug holes instead of the center hole.

BTW, khodne, the car looks great. :2thumbs:

no318

Quote from: bull on October 12, 2009, 04:12:56 PM
Today I spoke with Kelly South, Director of Sales and marketing at Specialty Wheel, and he told me he can work something out for us that sounds like it will be pretty good. I've started a new thread in the Group Buys section and explain it all there (link below). :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62609.msg698530.html#msg698530
BULL,
  Any plans for a group buy or anything of the sort in the reasonable future???

Thanks.

ChgrSteve67

Group Buy Deal is always on.

Contact Kelly and tell him your from here and place your order.

bull

rave_12000

talked with kelly about buying a set of wheels just before he left (not knowing that he was going to leave).  got a good 25% off quote. i put off buying the wheels for a bit because i wasn't quite sure about tire size.  Now, this guy named eric is there...and he is not sure that the discount is valid anymore. he says he needs to talk to VP named jess.  sux. wish i would have known.  mike

ChgrSteve67

It was a good run while it lasted.

I'm still very happy with my wheels.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: rave_12000 on June 22, 2012, 09:04:54 AM
talked with kelly about buying a set of wheels just before he left (not knowing that he was going to leave).  got a good 25% off quote. i put off buying the wheels for a bit because i wasn't quite sure about tire size.  Now, this guy named eric is there...and he is not sure that the discount is valid anymore. he says he needs to talk to VP named jess.  sux. wish i would have known.  mike

Not surprising really.  I have learned over the years that if someone shoots off a price to me that is good enough that I sit up and take notice, I buy it. Because more often than not you will not get another shot at that price.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bull

I'm looking into it. Somewhere along the line Kelly dropped off the map. :shruggy: But I just emailed a request to renew our longstanding vendor pricing to a guy named Eric who will be forwarding the request to the previously mentioned VP, Jess, on Monday. Guess we'll see what happens.

bill440rt

I just ordered a set of 15x7's for my '68. I dealt with Kelly early on, & sent off payment. I waited a few weeks and then nothing, but got a call from them (I think it was Eric), who finished processing my order at the "group buy" rate that Kelly quoted me.
I got them early last week, & they are beautiful!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JN488

Has anybody confirmed this deal as 25% off recently?  I just spoke to Eric and was quoted the forum discount as 15% off on a set of 15x8 chrome magnums with centers. :shruggy:

thanks,
john

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on June 24, 2012, 07:25:21 PM
I just ordered a set of 15x7's for my '68. I dealt with Kelly early on, & sent off payment. I waited a few weeks and then nothing, but got a call from them (I think it was Eric), who finished processing my order at the "group buy" rate that Kelly quoted me.
I got them early last week, & they are beautiful!

:cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JN488

6T9, so I take it your deal was at 25% off and not a lesser amount??

Not that big a deal I guess.  At only 15% off list the Vintiques are less $'s and appear to be in stock several places.  Eric told me today that 15x8's are back ordered and might be 8 to 12 weeks for delivery.

I will probably just order from Summit or somewhere when I get back home this weekend.  I'm happy that many got a good deal from Specialty, but based on my discussion today I will be buying elsewhere.

bull

Quote from: JN488 on June 29, 2012, 01:07:46 PM
Has anybody confirmed this deal as 25% off recently?  I just spoke to Eric and was quoted the forum discount as 15% off on a set of 15x8 chrome magnums with centers. :shruggy:

thanks,
john

There was never any set percentage discount. It is/was vendor pricing so the discount varies from product to product.

JN488

Thanks for the clarification Bull, I was feeling like an outcast being offered 15% while thinking everyone else was offered 25%.

bill440rt

Quote from: JN488 on June 30, 2012, 02:43:55 PM
Thanks for the clarification Bull, I was feeling like an outcast being offered 15% while thinking everyone else was offered 25%.

John,
The 15x7 wheels I ordered from Specialty Wheel were regularly $165 a piece, or $660 for a set of four. Kelly quoted me a discounted price of $525, I'd say that's a substantial discount. Like buying 3 and getting the 4th wheel free. These prices did not include shipping, and they were for the bare wheels only. No lugs, center caps, etc.
He said that they could fluctuate depending on shipping rates, as shipping rates do change.
Hopefully Eric can still continue this discount.
:cheers:

BTW, I have heard some horror stories with wheels from other suppliers being out of round, balance problems, etc. I cannot confirm this as I have no first-hand experience with other vendors, but just rumors.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JN488

Bill,

Yours was a better deal than what Eric quoted me on some 15x8 wheels, which are $169/ea list.  He said his quote to me was consistent with what Kelly was doing, but at the quoted $575 for a set of 4 the regular price for Wheel Vintiques magnums from Summit is a little cheaper.  I guess before ordering I need to do some more research on Specialty versus Vintiques based on your comment.  I figured the wheel vintiques would be of decent quality considering that Year One sells them for high dollar.

Thanks to all for the info.

john

bill440rt

Quote from: JN488 on June 30, 2012, 10:06:13 PM
I figured the wheel vintiques would be of decent quality considering that Year One sells them for high dollar.

Thanks to all for the info.

john

:smilielol:

Year One sells EVERYTHING for high dollar!  :rofl:

The 15x8 will be priced slightly higher than 15x7.
I had a YO discount code just prior to ordering my wheels. Even with the code, it was about the same price as the group buy discount from S.W. I purchased from S.W. based on what I've read about W.V., and I already had a set of S.W. 14" Magnums on my car already that were really nice & I had no problems with them either.

bull

I haven't heard a peep out of Specialty since calling and sending an email to them on June 22. Of course that was only 9 days ago so I'm trying not to read too much into it.

bill440rt

Pulled up my invoice again, the guy that contacted me back from Specialty was Zach, not Eric. Hope that helps some.

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on July 02, 2012, 07:57:31 AM
Pulled up my invoice again, the guy that contacted me back from Specialty was Zach, not Eric. Hope that helps some.

Not sure but I believe that's who I talked to initially, and the same person I sent the email to. He said he was going to pass the email on to the VP at Specialty.

brianz426

After many interruptions over the years I'm finally close to finishing my Road Runner. I saved this old thread and had intentions of ordering Recall wheels back when this thread first started. It looks like they don't offer them anymore. I know, I should have ordered them then but I never did. Has anyone ordered from Specialty lately, is the group by still in effect? I know this is a long shot, Thanks.

bull

It is still in effect. I just contacted them a few weeks ago and talked to Eric Davis to make sure everything is still current, and then I bought a Magnum 500 to replace a bent one I had at the LR.

Unfortunately it appears you're correct about the Recall wheels. They seem to have pared their choices down to nine and they've also excluded the 16"+ Magnums (although they didn't look that good IMO). I did find one place claiming to sell them, although the "Blue Oval" part is kinda scary: http://www.blueovalranch.com/content/mopar-warrior-wheel/

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62609.0.html

brianz426

bull,

Thanks for the link to the recall wheels. You are right, coming from a place called Blue Oval Ranch does not inspire confidence in the correctness of the wheel. at half the price I'm thinking about going with a set of Torque Thrust D's for a day two look.