News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever by a car online you didnt inspect first?

Started by Doright, October 09, 2009, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doright

I have bought many myself just wondering how many have actually done it?
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ChgrSteve67

More than probably care to admit it.

I know more than a few with mixed results.

451-74Charger

I bought my 05 Hemi Grand Cherokee from Craigslist sight unseen.
No problem with it at all, exactly as I expected.

Tilar

I've bought 10 online since 2007 and all but one was exactly as I expected. I bought a 1998 Dakota with a V6 that was advertised as needing a tune up because it had a miss... 3 injectors and one cylinder head later and it ran good.

The only other one that I've had any trouble with was a title issue with my Suburban and the only problem with that was it took me 3 months to get it. The seller was a used car dealer.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

rnjump

I bought a car that was listed on ebay. The seller ended the auction early as I was traveling out of the country and would not be at home at auctions end. I felt ok with the guy so I sent him $5000 to hold it for a couple of weeks. The total cost would be $18000. When I finally got to the car it was a major turd. It had hacked up quarters, junk interior and a lot of other issues the seller did not disclose. He said he had missed many opportunities to sell the car so he wasn't willing to give the deposit back.
 A good rule is if you buy it on ebay buy it close enough to go right away to avoid the deposit. Any other venue should allow you to get there and inspect the car. Never buy something and have it shipped. I am leaving in a week to get a challenger with no money down. It is 1100 mile trip.
 I have had only one pleasant surprise. I use a guy from southern missouri to haul a car sometimes and he has a better eye than I do. He will take my money and then inspect the car. He knows #'s and body work quite well. Good luck  
 You have heard the joke about the guy that went to look at a car from an internet ad and was digusted. He said I don't like the car but can I buy your camera!

Charger RT

I bought my 92 Daytona Iroc R/T on ebay. It smoked real bad just like he said it did. But he didn't disclose the oil dripping out the tail pipe. Pretty funny standing there in west virginia watching the guy grab a trash can lid to put under the tail pipe so he doesn't get oil all over his parents driveway. After towing it back to florida I found a few issues but none he would have know. His mechanic hid things well. Over all it was a good deal and the car was pretty much what he said.
Tim

Charger440RDN

It is tempting, sometimes on these ebay auctions with a "buy it now" if you find the right car for the right price, you don't have time to go inspect or someone else will get it.

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

vancamp

went with a friend of mine and drove 17 hours to pick up one he bought off ebay sight unseen had a couple issues that were minor but overall was cleaner than we had ever expected to see

bigred68

I know I've walked by a few cars I might have considered purchasing. :shruggy:
:cheers:

oldcarnut

I bought my 70 RR from an ebay add that didn't sell.  Only had a few bad pics and a couple of phone calls to go by then had it shipped but ended up with a car that was in better shape than I thought it was going to be.  I did make sure it wasn't a scam first though.

68charger383

I bought a grand national off ebay, the seller had 100% feedback with 300+ sales including a few cars with good comments. After the auction, someone, good samariton, contacted me and told me the car actually had 163,000 miles and not 63,000 as was claimed. I questioned the seller who admitted it was really 163,000 but claimed that the mileage on cars over 20 years old didn't matter. I told him it mattered to me since the car was worth 1/2 the price and didn't buy the car.

Still look on ebay all the time and tempted to buy something all the time......must resist
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

elacruze

I bought two old (both 1985) pickups on ebay, one in NJ and one in Redding, CA. I flew out and drove back to Michigan in both of them, no problems whatsoever. Buyer beware-ask the right questions before you buy, and in my case the price was below $3500 in both cases so the risk was low. I also shipped a road trip tool kit out to both sellers before I arrived, so I'd have something to work with in case of failures.

I love road trips... :icon_smile_cool:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

71charger_fan

An '88 Shadow off ebay that the seller told me sometimes ran hot. What he didn't tell me was that the temp gauge didn't go above the normal mark so I thought everything was fine until the engine melted down. I threw a junkyard 2.5 in it, waited a few weeks and sent the seller an e-mail telling him the car was running flawlessly with no sign of over heating. I didn't mention the engine switch and let him think he was too stupid to find a simple problem that was actually a blown head gasket.

I also bought a '99 Grand Cherokee without seeing it. I did see photos. When I picked it up, it was just as nice as the dealer described. No complaints.