News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help - Running way too rich.

Started by buie1289, October 05, 2009, 01:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buie1289

I recently got the Charger started for the first time after the engine rebuild and it's running so rich that I can't even stand to be in the garage while it's running. I started the engine with a brand new (2 hours old) Edelbrock 1406 carb. In reading the manual, it said that low vacuum scenarios (long duration cams) may require a weaker step-up spring, so I went to the yellow spring which is the weakest with no change at all. I tried adjusting the idle mixture screws in until the car wouldn't start anymore, but it still runs rich. I assumed that the carb was bad, so I switched to my Carter AVS only to find the exact same results. Again, I switched to the yellow springs in the AVS and that didn't help either. I'm currently running 23* of initial timing and the car will start up like a dream. It idles around 1300rpm and will die immediately when you put it in gear. Am I missing something?

Engine:
318 (Stock enigne)
Edelbrock Performer intake
Comp THUMPR cam (roller) - PN 23-600-9
Stock Heads
340 Exhaust Manifolds
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm - using yellow springs (no longer on car)
Swapped 1406 Carb to Carter AVS with same rich results

firefighter3931

With a 1300rpm idle the carb is running on the main circuit and not the idle circuit. You probably need a carb with a more agressive fuel curve to dial in the idle mixture. In some cases simply drilling some small holes in the primary throttle blades to allow more air into the venturies and clean up the idle.

How much vacuum is the engine pulling at 1300 rpm idle ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

buie1289

It's pulling around 14" at 1300. If I idle it down to around 900, vacuum drops down to around 8", but it won't idle in gear.

Anything special I need to know about drilling those holes?

firefighter3931

Quote from: buie1289 on October 06, 2009, 08:18:32 AM
It's pulling around 14" at 1300. If I idle it down to around 900, vacuum drops down to around 8", but it won't idle in gear.

Anything special I need to know about drilling those holes?

Use a 1/8in drill bit and locate the hole in the center of the blade towards the middle of the carb. Hope that makes sense  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs