News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Comp Cams XE268H

Started by richRTSE, October 05, 2009, 08:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richRTSE

A friend of mine has a '71 Charger with a .030" over 440, 4-speed, and 3.54 Dana. Car has stock 906 heads, Torker 2 intake, 750 Holley DP, factory HP exhaust manifolds,  and 2-1/2" exhaust. The current cam in it is the 509, and the car is pretty much a dog. He doesn't want to put headers on it, so I thought changing the cam to Comps XE268H should help. Specs are:  268/280 duration (224/230 @ .050") and .477"/.480" lift. Is this a good cam for this combo, or should he get something else. He doesn't drive the car much, and has no plans on racing it. He just wants something that feels stronger, and I think that 509 is too much cam for his current combo.

Thanks, Rich

femtnmax

Rich
I agree with your results.  The best street cam choice is to have the most valve lift for the least 0.05 duration.  Following this means the power accessories will work, idle manners will be good for daily driver, and the all important low-mid range torque will be there...important because TORQUE is KING on the street, and too much 0.05 duration kills low speed torque as you well know.
The comp cam would be ok, but remember they are ground for chevy lifter diameters, so for a mopar you are leaving performance on the table.   I would suggest a Lunati voodoo cam, such as their 60303.  Specs are 268/276, 226/234 at 0.05, .494/.513 lift, and 110 LSA.  You could call their tech line and ask if they make it for one-bolt timing chain, or switch to a 3-bolt cam gear since it is a stronger setup.  On the cuda-challenger forum one of the moderators has much praise for Lunati cams.
Notice the comp and lunati cams have much less 0.05 duration than the 509's 248/248.  Also note the 509 is rated for 2600-6000 rpm, while the other two cams are rated at 1600-5800 rpm for the comp and 1800-6200 for the lunati.  I would say you are on the right path in your idea of repacing the cam and basic cam choice for 0.05 duration.
Tell you what, call Lunati tech line and ask them!!!
Phil

firefighter3931

I agree with Phil....the 509 is too much cam for that combo. The #303 voodoo stick recommended would be a huge step in the right direction, inmo.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

LeadfootBob

While on the subject, does the Voodoo line have any significant risk of wiping the lobes compared to other "modern" grinds?
There's been some talk about their more aggressive ramps being more susceptible to wear, curious as to if somebody has actual experience with this.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

RECHRGD

Quote from: LeadfootBob on October 06, 2009, 11:03:36 AM
While on the subject, does the Voodoo line have any significant risk of wiping the lobes compared to other "modern" grinds?
There's been some talk about their more aggressive ramps being more susceptible to wear, curious as to if somebody has actual experience with this.

The Comp XEHL cams also have an "aggressive ramp".  I have a XE275HL and have had no problems after about 5,000 miles.  Just be sure you use plenty of assembly lube and use the proper oil and additives and you'll be fine.  Change oil and filter right after the start up period and again after about 500 miles and your good to go.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 06, 2009, 11:15:40 AM
Quote from: LeadfootBob on October 06, 2009, 11:03:36 AM

The Comp XEHL cams also have an "aggressive ramp".  I have a XE275HL and have had no problems after about 5,000 miles.  Just be sure you use plenty of assembly lube and use the proper oil and additives and you'll be fine.  Change oil and filter right after the start up period and again after about 500 miles and your good to go.  Bob

:iagree: Bob is right on the money ! Good oil and EP additives and proper breakin are critical.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

richRTSE

Thanks for the replies guys. I've had good luck with Comp cams, and currently have the XE284H cam in my '69 Charger (284/296 and .507"/.510" lift). It has iron heads with big valves, TM7 intake, older Barry Grant 750, 1-7/8" headers, and 3000 stall converter. Its all steel and pretty heavy, but it went 12.20s with 4.10s and sticky street tires.

I'll pass on the Lunati cam info to my friend and let him make the call. Seems like either would be a good choice. He may hold off on the cam swap until spring now and upgrade his exhaust instead. He just told me today he measured his exhaust and its only 2-1/4".  :o His funds are limited and he can't do both now. Anyone beside TTi make full mandrel-bent kits for exhaust manifolds?