News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bench grinder / buffer question?!?!?!

Started by HITMAN 149, October 08, 2009, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HITMAN 149

ok soooo i want to get a bench buffer ( to polish up allll my nice mopar stuff!!! lol). sooooooo i go to sears (cause i have a couple of giftcards!!!  :D ) tonight to scope some out.... and the double wheel plain jane buffer is like $110 bucks.... and they have a bunch of nice bench grinders with lights and alll (even a nice 10" one with it's own nice heavy duty 4 leg metal stand for $129!!!  :icon_smile_big:)  that are wellllll under $100!!!
soooooo my question is...... why are the buffers soooo much more than the grinders?!?!?
AND can i just buy the nice  CHEAPER bench grinder & put a bufffffffing wheel on it?!?!?!? 
thanks!!!
:cheers:
-john
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

oldcarnut

I'm assuming you haven't done a lot of buffing not particularly for any reason but just for the sake of a few opinions to mention. Here's some info that might help you. http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-and-Using-Grinders-and-Buffers_W0QQugidZ10000000002395461
My buffer has longer shafts that allow much more maneuvering of the parts I buff.  The grinder is more closer to the motor making it more restrictive.  Some grinders and buffers run on different RPM's and HP ratings etc for some of the reasons they're made different.  Others have a combination buffer on one side with wire wheel or grinder on the other.  I bought one from Harbor Freight and have a wire wheel on one side and buffer on the long shaft side.  I have a regular bench grinder for sharpening my lathe tooling and drills. There's a lot more to it than holding parts against the pads and making it shine.  I would recommend lots of practice on scrap parts first, especially trim that is already bent up. Find some good instructional how to videos off the net.  It only takes a blink to have a buffer grab a part and fling it across the garage or slice your hand open.  I have messed up a piece or too and learned the hard way about how to hold and which way to buff different surfaces without bending it up or taking off a fine edge. You don't want to ruin irreplaceable or nice stuff but they sure can make some trashy parts look new again.  Just do your research and be carefull  :Twocents:.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used arbor extenders on my grinder from Caswell Plating
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/longsa.htm

I also used their buffs & compounds
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/longsa.htm

They have a ton of other stuff & great how-to tutorials
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

HITMAN 149

hahahaha yea i haven't buffed anything since high school... ummm yea just a couple years ago!!! lmao!! ok fine 20 years ago!!! lol
ok now that makes sence why the long shafts on the buffer as compared to the bench grinders!!!
cooool thanks a ton guys!!!!
:cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

1969chargerrtse

I've been through the same questions and same store as you. I'll add this. Make sure you get the buffer of grinder with a speed knob.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.