News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 months w/no 220v now finally done!

Started by MyMopar, January 20, 2006, 09:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMopar

Well after 2 months of living in our new house, I finally got the garage wired up for 220v.  Last night I tried to fire up the compressor when done but no go.  After a bit of thinking and a quick phone call, I realized that the circuit was on the same phase so I would never see 220.  So this morning I got up checked the panel and switched the location of the circuit breaker.  BINGO!
Now I can get my Air Compressor compressing, my plasma cutter cutting and my new Miller 185 welder welding!  Not tonight though cuz BSG is on   :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

good for you, wish I had garage and 220 V with it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

If you have electric in your house, you do have 220.  we all do.
RECHRGED

last426

Something about your post gives me the spidey feelings.  Did you do the wiring -- it's not rocket science, that's for sure, but does need to be done more or less correctly.  And it just seems that whoever put the 220v breaker in there would have put it in correctly -- on most panels it is fairly obvious.  And it seems that the wirer would have known whether there was 220 at the plug before you were not able to get the compressor to start.  Anyway, just be careful -- how do you like that Miller welder?   Kim

dkn1997

yeah, I hate to use the "see if it works" test.  a meter usually works better...
RECHRGED

derailed

Quote from: last426 on January 21, 2006, 02:23:26 AM
  And it just seems that whoever put the 220v breaker in there would have put it in correctly -- on most panels it is fairly obvious.  And it seems that the wirer would have known whether there was 220 at the plug before you were not able to get the compressor to start. 
I agree, did you have an electrician do it the first time?

BigBlockSam

you don't need no stinking  electricians, just take the panel off and jump  in  :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

MyMopar

While wiring is not rocket science it is dangerous and I do undestand the basic principals.  I did use a meter and that is how I found out I was working with only 1 phase.  I would only get 110 but not 220 so that is why I called in an expert.  Told him the problem and he explained the whole phase thing to me.  Simply moved the breaker down one spot to get power off both 110 legs and all is well.  The previous owner had a breaker installed but not wired to anything and that is what threw off my breaker spacing.  A minor oversight and no harm was done.  I'll be using that Miller welding a control arm bracket back onto the axle of my Jeep, so I'll see jusst how well it works.
Thanks for the safety concerns, it has been all checked out and a ok.

myk

Does this mean that you'll be our resident "Chip Foose?"  and wow-ify our cars? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

4402tuff4u

Check your insurace coverage. Hope it never happens, but if you were to have a fire in the garage and they find out that the new 220v line in the garage was installed without a license electrician, guess what. Be very careful you are probably running 60 - 80 amps on that line, enough to get you stuck.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

MyMopar

I have a panel that was installed in the garge by a licensed electrician (it is powered by a 60 amp breaker in the house).  I added a 30 amp 220 line to the panel.  Any insurance company would be hard pressed to put blame on me as I followed what the town's code is and any circuit under 30 amps does not need a permit. Over 30 amps, it must be inspected.
But again, I really do appreciate all your comments and concerns for my safety, my cars safety (seeing how it is in the garage) and I'm sure my neighbors do too.  If I had any doubt about the quality of the work I did or if I felt it unsafe in any way, I would not do it, that goes for anything in my life.

skip68

If you have any more electrical issues feel free to ask. :icon_smile_cool: I've got just a little experience,(about 8 yrs commercial give or take a week) and there's nothing like getting hit with 408amps D.C. :scared: :scared: :scared: :icon_smile_shock:.Chuck........................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MyMopar

Quote from: skip68 on January 24, 2006, 01:03:03 PM
If you have any more electrical issues feel free to ask. :icon_smile_cool: I've got just a little experience,(about 8 yrs commercial give or take a week) and there's nothing like getting hit with 408amps D.C. :scared: :scared: :scared: :icon_smile_shock:.Chuck........................
Geez, 408 amps, not sure I want to ask you anything  :scared:   :cheers: