News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Performance Suspension Kit

Started by ChargerST, October 04, 2009, 10:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

http://www.performancesuspension.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4593_4695_4701_45410&products_id=5918

Has anyone used this kit yet? The kit is fairly complete (tie rod sleeves are missing) and they use MOOG parts - and it's cheaper than all the other kits.
Buying parts individually seems to be way more expensive - but unfortunately there are no kits with moog problem solver UCA bushings.

Is it really better using rubber over polyurethane for the strut rod bushings and the LCA bushings?

Mike DC

Rubber LCA/strut bushings:  It depends on how you define "better" here.  If you mean tighter, then no, poly is better. 

But the factory designed that front end for a lot of rubber play and poly is subtracting a lot of it.  The LCA bushing is just a good place to leave it rubber for metal fatigue reasons.  It saves some stress on the metal of the car's suspension (and also softens the ride) while incurring a minimum amount of added slop to the suspension. 

(Check the LCA mounting tubes in the rear legs of the K-frame while you have everything apart.  Those welds are very fatigue-prone after 30-40 years.  It wouldn't hurt to beef up that point by welding on some heavy washers or something even if you don't detect any visible cracks.)

On the other hand, the UCA bushings and the swaybar mount area bushings are the opposite.  Leaving them rubber will leave more slop in the road feel but they won't de-stress the chassis much.   

-------------------------------------------

On the rear suspesion, some guys leave the front spring eye bushing rubber while using all poly in the rear shackles.  Same logic as above.   

ChargerST

Thanks Mike!

But nobody has used the Performance Suspension Kit before? Can't be the price..maybe P-S-T and Just Suspension do more advertising.. I guess I'll give it a try.

oldcarnut

I'm also in the process to rebuild the front end as my next chore and started shopping for the parts.  I see the moog problem solver UCA bushings with the eccentric for extra adjustment but what condition would make it neccessary to have to use them over the regular bushing?

ChargerST

As far as I understand the problem solver bushings give you more caster (desired) and more possibilities to adjust (for bent suspension parts eg).

b5blue

They can compensate for ether but you need to ID your problem first.

Foreman72

mike always provides solid suspension answers... :2thumbs: 

check out PST too ST...thats who i'm going with :Twocents:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

ChargerST

Just ordered the Performance Suspension Kit. The kit comes with 9/16" tie rod sleeves although it doesn't show up in the description (upgrade to 11/16" is 60$) - for 290$ That makes it the cheapest poly full rebuilt kit out there - and the parts are Federal Mogul (MOOG).

btw. P-S-T is offering a 100$ discount on all Super Rebuilt Kits - the poly kit then comes to 339$

ChargerST

Here is a picture of the front end kit from Performance Suspension. The picture was taken by a friend of mine so I didn't see the parts myself yet. Bushings are Prothane Motion, Sway Bar End Links are Energy Suspension, Idler Arm is McQuay-Norris, the rest (tie rod ends, ball joints are in gray boxes - any idea which brand? I think they said MOOG but aren't the MOOG boxes always blue and yellow?).

Foreman72

Quote from: ChargerST on October 19, 2009, 05:13:49 AM
Here is a picture of the front end kit from Performance Suspension. The picture was taken by a friend of mine so I didn't see the parts myself yet. Bushings are Prothane Motion, Sway Bar End Links are Energy Suspension, Idler Arm is McQuay-Norris, the rest (tie rod ends, ball joints are in gray boxes - any idea which brand? I think they said MOOG but aren't the MOOG boxes always blue and yellow?).

dude...i was skeptical of them being moog parts... :Twocents: :Twocents:  :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat