News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68' Coming home soon XD

Started by ZSmithersCharges, October 03, 2009, 05:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

So, I just got back from Portland yesterday from going to go check out an all original 68' and good news, it will be in my driveway soon as the shipping company delivers it  :yesnod: The only thing the car structurally needs is a new trunk pan but the rear quarters are kind of dented so I will either fill or replace them(most likely replace). The floors are incredibly intact except for at the very fronts of them where I can only assume the windshield wiper seals didn't do their job.  
Anyways, the guys name is Mike and my experience with him was a great one, he doesn't participate in the forums or anything but he has owned and worked on oh I would say well over 200 to 300 Chargers! He was pulling out boxes and boxes of pictures and he was relatively young I was really surprised! He basically finds them in junk yards/barn sales and buys the ones that have the most intact body and are most original and then gets them running so they lose their "junk yard dog" status and sells them to people who are looking for a complete car.  Or, like in the case with what he did with me he will from time to time buy one with a bit of rust and get them running and sell them for cheaper, he was going through eBay showing me people who have restored his cars and are now selling them and it was kind of cool to see so many Mopars back on the road regardless of his "flipper" status because he is making them worth saving so in my eyes its all good  :cheers:  
He's got one for sale right now that I got to ride in, it was a 70' Charger with a factory 383 Auto that ran awesome, the body from what I could tell was just as awesome too http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1404711462.html with minimal rust.  So if your in the area I would advise you to check it out he only wants $9,000 for it and it runs/drives awesome and the body really just needs some light sanding for the surface rust and paint.
Also, if your wondering why I'm talking the guy up it is because I believe he deserves some praise as a great seller, the first thing he did when I asked him if the car was for sale was send me I kid you not, like 30 pictures of all areas on the car and more over the course of the week. When I got there he without hesitation or me asking jacked the car up to let me see everything underneath and check/verify build dates as well so I knew what I was getting.
Anyways! I will post pics when the car is home sorry for posting a book  :coolgleamA:

1969chargerrtse

Great connection, and great looking car.  Really nice.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 03, 2009, 06:06:18 PM
Great connection, and great looking car.  Really nice.

Yea the other car in the ad which he accidentally posted but has yet to realise(hes not the best with computers  :rofl:) Is a car hes making into a G Lee. Its an original 4 speed car that he put a age correct 440 in and a 4 speed because it was missing when he bought it. That car is mean, they both were, when we were cruising in the 70' we drove by this group of kids and they all just stopped and stared  :2thumbs: He's got a squirrels stash of parts of all kinds I tried to get the guy to come on this forum but he said he preferred selling local through craigslist, which I can't blame him. But for 200 bucks he threw in a front windshield(the other one was cracked) a perfect rear bumper with the bumperettes(great chrome no pitting) and a rust free trunk lid, just a really awesome guy!  Well that and a bunch of other stuff that he could find for that car around his garage from previous 68's he'd had  :icon_smile_wink:

Charger440RDN

Did he have a light blue 68 charger on craigslist last week? looks like the same driveway in the picture. Congrats on the purchase  :cheers:

472 R/T SE

Congrats on the score.  Where are you from?  Where's some pix of this '68?

May I ask what Mike's last name is?

bull

Mike, I forget his last name but he lives over there by Glenwood Park around SE 90th and Claybourne or something.

He's the same guy I got my bumper jack from a few weeks ago. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61855.0.html I had a look at that 68 while I was there... and the 69 and the 70.

I also sold him a set of Vectors about a year ago but I don't think they are the ones he has on his 69 right now.

Dans 68

Congratulations for joining the '68 fraternity! While we are waiting for pictures what are the particulars?  :scratchchin:  :popcrn:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 03, 2009, 06:29:11 PM
Did he have a light blue 68 charger on craigslist last week? looks like the same driveway in the picture. Congrats on the purchase  :cheers:

Thats the one I just bought  :nana:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Dans 68 on October 03, 2009, 07:23:40 PM
Congratulations for joining the '68 fraternity! While we are waiting for pictures what are the particulars?  :scratchchin:  :popcrn:

Dan

Remember that fender tag decode I had you guys help me with about a week or so ago?  It was the same car  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62040.msg691863.html#msg691863:2thumbs:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: bull on October 03, 2009, 07:06:49 PM
Mike, I forget his last name but he lives over there by Glenwood Park around SE 90th and Claybourne or something.

He's the same guy I got my bumper jack from a few weeks ago. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61855.0.html I had a look at that 68 while I was there... and the 69 and the 70.

I also sold him a set of Vectors about a year ago but I don't think they are the ones he has on his 69 right now.

Yea his 69 is sweet, its got a rear main leak and a couple wiring issues if I remember right but it runs strong. Were they 10 spoke? if so that's still what he has with black inside the spokes. He goes through wheels like you wouldn't believe though every single one of his cars had wheels on it that he sold.  I think the only ones he DIDNT touch were the ones on the 68 but they were the originals so I can see why.

He threw in a bunch of stuff for the 68 for nothing I cant wait to get it home, I will upload a bunch of pictures, now to find a carpet headliner a rear bench seat aaand... oh yea the door trim below the top trim and the interior is good to go.  It has the original tic toc tach(works too) radio and ac and an 8 track(i don't think that's original he said the thought the little old lady might have put in on but it still works  :icon_smile_wink:)

Don't worry I'll do a full break down on this car when it gets here  :drool5:

ZSmithersCharges

Oh I forgot to add while we were waiting for my flight back to the airport we watched dukes of hazzards and clips of 68-69's tearing it up on youtube, just an overall cool guy  :cheers:

Charger440RDN

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on October 03, 2009, 09:00:54 PM
Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 03, 2009, 06:29:11 PM

Thats the one I just bought  :nana:

And I was going to call about that car too!! :lol: Portland is a long way from Illinois and I hate airplanes  :rotz: and another one gets away  :'( can't wait to see pictures of it.  

ZSmithersCharges

Hey theres a guy around here with a 68 original 383 thats here in ohio I can give you his email if you want to talk to him about it?  I have yet to check it out but would do it for you in a second if you wanted me to  :2thumbs: I think he wanted 5000 for it?  I was looking into that one myself untill i got settled into this one.

By the by, Portlands a long way from Cincinnati Ohio too haha!

Charger440RDN

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on October 04, 2009, 12:29:53 AM
Hey theres a guy around here with a 68 original 383 thats here in ohio I can give you his email if you want to talk to him about it?  I have yet to check it out but would do it for you in a second if you wanted me to  :2thumbs: I think he wanted 5000 for it?  I was looking into that one myself untill i got settled into this one.

Thanks! If you can PM me his email I would be interested.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 04, 2009, 12:38:03 AM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on October 04, 2009, 12:29:53 AM

Thanks! If you can PM me his email I would be interested.

PM sent  :icon_smile_wink:

SG1022

A fellow oregonian  :cheers:  (insert tired old rain joke ___ here___)

I am from Wilsonville, is there some underground PDX charger club I don't know about?  ;)

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: SG1022 on October 04, 2009, 01:21:30 AM

I am from Wilsonville, is there some underground PDX charger club I don't know about?  ;)

Haha I don't know, I'm not from Oregon but the guy Mike I got it from has a couple charger buddies around PDX too.  In fact one of them came while I was there, Mike owns two as of right now but he says his lucky number is three  :icon_smile_big:

SG1022

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on October 04, 2009, 01:24:20 AM

Haha I don't know, I'm not from Oregon but the guy Mike I got it from has a couple charger buddies around PDX too.  In fact one of them came while I was there, Mike owns two as of right now but he says his lucky number is three  :icon_smile_big:

What year is he looking for?

bull

As far as I know there's only myself and two or three other members of this site from the Portland area including Vancouver and Hood River, although there are lots of Mopar guys around. Have you been to the Mopar Nationals in Woodburn? You might check out the Chrysler R/T Club if you want to make some local connections: http://chryslerrt-club.com/index.html