News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Transmission

Started by dodgecharger72, October 02, 2009, 09:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgecharger72

I am looking for an aftermarket transmission for my 360 '72. I was originally considering TCI but after reading through these forums I discovered some people had bad experiences with them. What do you guys suggest?

dodgecharger72

I forgot to mention that I have a 904 in right now so I am looking for a 727

RECHRGD

I think the TCI problems were in past years.  But, another option is Cope Racing Transmissions (CRT).  I've got one-----no problems.  :2thumbs:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

dodgecharger72

Cope Transmissions are a little bot more expensive that TCI. Is the price worth it? Which cope tranny do you have in your car?

69chargerR/T

I have a TCI streetfighter trans in my car. I've had it for 6 years and its been great, I love it.  :2thumbs:

dodgecharger72

Yeah I've been lookin at the streetfighters for a while. What kind of performance gains am i looking at with this switch?

Musicman

dodgecharger72

is that the tranny you use music man?

Musicman

That's the one that I had planned to use with the new 6-Pack build yes... I'm waiting for the dyno numbers before making any final decisions of course, but the current plan is to use one of their 727 Shortie's with the GV unit attached. :2thumbs:

dodgecharger72

Sounds good man :icon_smile_big:     I plan on putting a 440 in it in a few years but i want a good daily driver

General_01

Just as a heads up in case you didn't know, small block trannies do not bolt up to big blocks. If you do not really need a tranny right now you may want to wait until you put the 440 in. That way you only have to put the money out for 1 tranny.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Musicman

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 03, 2009, 03:01:33 PM
I plan on putting a 440 in it in a few years but i want a good daily driver

I know what your saying... I plan on doing a lot of driving with my new build as well, which is why I built it the way I did.

Musicman

Quote from: General_01 on October 03, 2009, 03:32:27 PM
If you do not really need a tranny right now you may want to wait until you put the 440 in. That way you only have to put the money out for 1 tranny.

:thumbs:

dodgecharger72

Yeah i have considered that. I just dont know how much longer my 904 is gonna hold up

Tilar

Get yourself a motors transmission manual and rebuild the 727 yourself. It's probably one of the easiest tranny's to build short of a powerglide. And unless you are planning on throwing a whole lot of horsepower to it, you can put in a good set of clutches and a bolt in sprag and you're good to go.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

dodgecharger72

Are you suggesting buying an old 727 and rebuilding it?

Musicman

If you can get your hands on one, rebuilding a 727 is a great alternative. The kits are fairly inexpensive, and you can purchase some great literature like Carl Monroe's TORQUEFLITE A-727 Transmission Handbook to guide you through the process.

Tilar

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 03, 2009, 08:19:10 PM
Are you suggesting buying an old 727 and rebuilding it?

Yes, if you are going to be putting a 440 in it. Like Musicman said, the kits are relatively inexpensive and there are plenty of good books and manuals out there to help guilde you through it. Plus like I said it is really one of the easier ones to build. Probably the only tool you would want to buy is a clutch spring compressor to make the job easier, but you can do it without it.

Dave  

dodgecharger72

I was talking to my local performane shop and they said that by the time I buy an old 727 and rebuild it I will already have spent almost as much as a new tranny. Any truth to this?

dodgecharger72

They also told me that I could buy a transmission for my car and when I upgrade to a 440 all I will need is a big block torque converter not a whole new transmission

General_01

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 04, 2009, 01:42:08 PM
I was talking to my local performane shop and they said that by the time I buy an old 727 and rebuild it I will already have spent almost as much as a new tranny. Any truth to this?

Depends on what you spend on the tranny to start with. If you get a tranny for $50-$150 and buy the rebuild parts you might have about $300-$400 in the tranny depending on what you rebuild. If you have someone else do it, then yes, you will have as much or more into it.

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 04, 2009, 01:47:50 PM
They also told me that I could buy a transmission for my car and when I upgrade to a 440 all I will need is a big block torque converter not a whole new transmission

Don't buy anything from this performance shop. They obviously know nothing about Mopars. Must be a Chevy speed shop. You can get 727's for small blocks and big blocks. They do not interchange. The big blocks have a bigger bellhousing and thus a different bolt pattern then a small block. You will have to get a different tranny for the 440.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

RD

No.  I sell them for $375 + shipping for a stock overhaul.

You can buy overhaul kits from O'Reilly's Autoparts (or any autoparts store for that matter) for around $100, find a core for in between $50-$100, add in your time, and voila..  you have a overhauled transmission for $150-$200.

Now, that being said.  Sometimes you may come across a bad core that has damaged internals or housings.  If that is the case, you need to find another one.  If you dont know what you are looking for, then it can be tedious and time consuming.

I dont know where you are located, but if you are near Kansas pm me, I may have a cost saving alternative for you.  Either way you look at it, its going to cost some of your time, you will need certain tools, and a good weekend to get it done right.

If you plan on doing it yourself, and you have any questions, email me (see profile) and I will help you out by giving you my phone number and I can be your techline.

good luck.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

mopar_nut_440_6

I have two TCI transmissions and they have both been good and have lived behind a stroked 440 in a 4000 lb Charger with 3800 stall and sllicks. They were custom built for the engine torque specs and had reverse manual valve bodies installed for 2000 a piece.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

69chargerR/T

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 02, 2009, 08:23:50 PM
Yeah I've been lookin at the streetfighters for a while. What kind of performance gains am i looking at with this switch?

I have a 440 in my car, but the streetfighter trans has much better performance than the stock trans  :2thumbs: I also got the TCI breakaway converter with the trans. The car pulls much harder, and is faster, and nice firm shifts compared  to the stock trans  :2thumbs:

Tilar

Quote from: RD on October 04, 2009, 04:25:30 PM

No.  I sell them for $375 + shipping for a stock overhaul.

You can buy overhaul kits from O'Reilly's Autoparts (or any autoparts store for that matter) for around $100, find a core for in between $50-$100, add in your time, and voila..  you have a overhauled transmission for $150-$200.

Now, that being said.  Sometimes you may come across a bad core that has damaged internals or housings.  If that is the case, you need to find another one.  If you dont know what you are looking for, then it can be tedious and time consuming.

I dont know where you are located, but if you are near Kansas pm me, I may have a cost saving alternative for you.  Either way you look at it, its going to cost some of your time, you will need certain tools, and a good weekend to get it done right.

If you plan on doing it yourself, and you have any questions, email me (see profile) and I will help you out by giving you my phone number and I can be your techline.

good luck.

That sounds like a hell of a deal, and it won't cost you two grand. =)
Dave  

Troy

Find a new shop!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodgecharger72

HAHA it does sound like I need a new shop. And thank you very much for extending your expertise RD. I am looking for an old 727 as we speak

lisiecki1

they're full of it.....a trans for a small block will not mate to a big block, no if's and's or but's about it.  and I built my 727 using the same book listed above for around 500 dollars in parts, and i'll put it up against anything you could buy from TCI for twice the price.

edit:  i see i'm late to this topic...... :rofl:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

dodgecharger72

Haha it's monday don't worry about it :icon_smile_big:   And is that $500 for the tranny and parts or $500 for just parts?  And how complicated and involved was your rebuild?

lisiecki1

it was 500 for parts, i would think you can pick up a decent case for 100 or less, which still puts you hundreds of dollars ahead of the curve!  The rebuild sounded a whole lot more ominous than it really was.  I used Alto clutches, Kolene steels, Kevlar bands (next time i'll use red racing bands, i wanted to give the kevlar a try), a bolt in sprague, and a trans-go tf-3 valve body kit (which lets you set the valve body up your choice of 3 ways), and I believe I used a 4.2 lever, and a billet low/reverse piston.  I also made a couple of modifications to the case that were in the Carl Monroe book that was recommended to you earlier (Pick it up, excellent tool!).

dodgecharger72

Wow that sounds pretty impressive. How many hours did that rebuild take you?

lisiecki1

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 06, 2009, 09:25:00 AM
Wow that sounds pretty impressive. How many hours did that rebuild take you?

including all disassembly, cleaning, and painting it was probably around 8 hours total.  Building the 727 gave me the confidence to rebuild the trans in a friends honda, which was really cool because it was so much more involved, but his car runs like a top now :icon_smile_big:

dodgecharger72

Thats pretty fast. And you're happy with the way it runs now?

lisiecki1

dodgecharger72

How mechanically inclined are you? I feel pretty comfortable around cars although I have never really messed with transmissions before

lisiecki1

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 06, 2009, 07:12:31 PM
How mechanically inclined are you? I feel pretty comfortable around cars although I have never really messed with transmissions before

i started building motors with my dad when i was 8, and I work as an engineering designer, so I'm fairly mechanically inclined.....I was worried about my first transmission build too, but the 727 is a very simple setup.  If you follow the book (I recommend reading through it first to familiarize yourself with everything) you shouldn't have any problems.  Plus, there are a good number of people on here that can answer any questions you may have during your rebuild.

dodgecharger72

You can bet I will be buggin all of you guys once my rebuild starts :icon_smile_big:     

dodgecharger72

Is a new valve body mandatory for a rebuild?    Or is that just for better performance

lisiecki1

mostly performance related, but you can buy a transgo kit and use your old valve body and set it up however you want it....great kit....there's a TF3 kit in mine, Full manual, very firm shifts.

Belgium R/T -68

i started building motors with my dad when i was 8, and I work as an engineering designer, so I'm fairly mechanically inclined.....I was worried about my first transmission build too, but the 727 is a very simple setup.  If you follow the book (I recommend reading through it first to familiarize yourself with everything) you shouldn't have any problems.  Plus, there are a good number of people on here that can answer any questions you may have during your rebuild.

Looks like I found myself a transmissionbuilder for my Hemi Challenger. :icon_smile_big:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

lisiecki1

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on October 07, 2009, 03:56:06 PM

[/quote]

Looks like I found myself a transmissionbuilder for my Hemi Challenger. :icon_smile_big:

Per
[/quote]

I'm sure there are others on here with greater knowledge than myself, but I'd definately build you a good one Per!  Always happy to help!  :2thumbs:

dodgecharger72

Alright sounds good. Not sure if I will start buying the parts now or start looking for an old tranny first but. Depends on my paycheck

lisiecki1

Buy the book first, there
Are 727s from different years that have larger input shafts and other things of that nature, it'll give you an idea of what to avoid and what is better overall for your application.

dodgecharger72

Oh yeah I almost forgot about that lol :icon_smile_big:      What tools will I need for this?  do they transmission stands or something of that nature to mount it on

lisiecki1

i built mine on a work bench.....and I was able to build all the specialty tools i needed for the job also.

dodgecharger72

Alright I am gettin pretty excited for this rebuild :icon_smile_big:    I just need to get this damn thing rewired. This month and maybe next months paycheck are going to the wiring harness, distributor, plug wires, and electronic ignition conversion :icon_smile_angry:

lisiecki1

if it's going to go behind some decent power you might also consider a deep pan and filter assembly  :Twocents:

dodgecharger72

It's going behind a mildly built 360. Would that warrant the deep pan anf filter?

lisiecki1

i would think you can get by with a stock pan and filter on that, but use a good quality external trans cooler, it will improve the life of the trans.

Tilar

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 09, 2009, 09:31:05 AM
It's going behind a mildly built 360. Would that warrant the deep pan anf filter?

I thought you were putting a 440 in it? You know they have a different bell housing pattern than a 360...
Dave  

dodgecharger72

Yes but we have been discussing putting a rebuilt 727 in it because my 904 probably will not hold up the next few years

Troy

Just build the 904. It should live happily behind a street 360 - guys use them as race transmissions all the time. Saves you the time/effort/money of tracking down a small block 727 (typically more expensive than a big block 727) and you can use what you've got until you really need something else.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodgecharger72

Hmmmmmm.....  That would definitely be easier/cheaper. If I built that up would it hold up well under some hard driving for the next few years?

alcusswhen

As you have already been told a small block transmission don't bolt up to a big block. Now for the good news a 518 OD transmission will bolt right up to your small block, plus when you drop in your 440 you can get an adapter kit to put the 518 behind your big block. This can be done for less than the cost of a Gear Vender set up.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

lisiecki1

Quote from: dodgecharger72 on October 09, 2009, 09:19:52 PM
Hmmmmmm.....  That would definitely be easier/cheaper. If I built that up would it hold up well under some hard driving for the next few years?

absolutely it would :2thumbs: